Wimbledon 2023 Finals thread - Novak Djokovic vs Carlos Alcaraz

Austin 3:!6

35 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Speaking as a rational scientist here:  Reverse jinxing works!

Agreed, so this is why I will say that Alcaraz will become the greatest of the GOATs, and win 30+ Grand Slams by the time he retires (is this a reverse jinx or not? dear reader, I leave it to your interpretation...)

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

Agreed, so this is why I will say that Alcaraz will become the greatest of the GOATs, and win 30+ Grand Slams by the time he retires (is this a reverse jinx or not? dear reader, I leave it to your interpretation...)

Don't think so. He will win 15 or so maybe. But new players will share it around. 

3 hours ago, Vijy said:

Tennis is very unpredictable. Safin , Hewitt , Roddick , Murray, Del potro all won 1-3 Grand slams. You can't say someone is playing good tennis at 20 will win 30 plus Grand slams

Alcaraz is the most complete player. Good on all clay, grass, and even hard court.  Best court coverage, the combination of the ability to get to the ball like no other. Other players playing drop shots against him most likely don't work because he can get to them quickly.
His own drop shot skill is amazing and rules out players like Medvedev. The never die attitude is what sets him apart.   No one from the new gen is close to him.  He can rule the tennis arena for years. At his prime, he looks better than anyone. Plus he's not robotic, he's got flair, style, everything you want  in a player.  You can say he's got all the qualities of Fed, Nadal, Nole. Remember this kid is only 20. Crazy

Edited by vice

1 hour ago, vice said:

Alcaraz is the most complete player. Good on all clay, grass, and even hard court.  Best court coverage, the combination of the ability to get to the ball like no other. Other players playing drop shots against him most likely don't work because he can get to them quickly.
His own drop shot skill is amazing and rules out players like Medvedev. The never die attitude is what sets him apart.   No one from the new gen is close to him.  He can rule the tennis arena for years. At his prime, he looks better than anyone. Plus he's not robotic, he's got flair, style, everything you want  in a player.  You can say he's got all the qualities of Fed, Nadal, Nole. Remember this kid is only 20. Crazy

yes, it is crazy. However, I remember del Potro being super good (not as good as alcaraz though) at 20-21 as well. first thing is that he needs to stay fit

2 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Too early to call on Alcaraz, first slam. He has to keep his fitness regimen like the other 3 to sustain. But EU is a better churner of Tennis talent than US, UK or Aus. Like the tradition 

agree it is too early, but it is his 2nd slam -- and that too at age 20

Passing of the baton, enjoyed the match. Nole fought hard but better player on that day won, well done to both players. Wind was a big factor as well, Nole always struggles to counter that.

Apart from speed Alcaraz has exceptional shotmaking ability and is so innovative, not a boring pusher. Great result for the tennis world, and much needed. 

4 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Too early to call on Alcaraz, first slam. He has to keep his fitness regimen like the other 3 to sustain. But EU is a better churner of Tennis talent than US, UK or Aus. Like the tradition 

Spain itself, which makes it more impressive

I just don't see it ey. 

Nadal was truly special. 

Federer too. 

Djoker another freak. I don't think carlos will ever reach those levels. 

Nadal at the same age imo was still alot better. 

One injury is all it takes. We shall see though. But alcaraz doesn't interest me much tbh. 

None of the new guys impress me. 

Not yet anyway. 

7 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Only in the last 15-20 years. Historically USA, Australia are the best.