Oppenheimer (2023)

zen

Watched Oppenheimer today at UltraAVX, a premium large format that sports a good audio system. Since the film is dialogue driven, it worked out well. The dialogues were loud and clear. I don't think I missed IMAX 70mm film (had planned to watch the film in it but good seats were not available). Oppenheimer felt like a 3-4 part TV series that has been presented as a 3-hour film. If given the choice, I would prefer to watch it as a TV series in the comfort of my home as it did "feel" long in the cinema.

(Potential spoilers start)

Cillian Murphey's acting and the anti-nuclear weapons message that the film eventually delivers are among its positives. The arms race has resulted in countries like Pakistan churning out such weapons even as tactical ones. While North Korea can feel comfortable threatening any nation with them.

As for negatives, I found Pugh's portrayal of Taltlock un-Nolanesque. The nude scenes involving her stuck out like a sore thumb. Also, the way Damon's Groves handed out his coat to one of the key assistants (some ranking official) for dry cleaning looked out of place too (and there are better ways to show or imply how he treats his team). As mentioned, the film could have worked better as a TV series, allowing it to go into more topics (like more on the horrors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki including showing the footage) and build up some more characters.

(Potential spoilers end)

Overall, is it worth praise esp. for the eventual message it delivers? Yes; Is it worth the hype? Probably, no! ... "Chernobyl" does a better job of showcasing the horrors of nuclear technology.

Edited by zen

On 7/23/2023 at 9:57 PM, zen said:

Watched Oppenheimer today at UltraAVX, a premium large format that sports a good audio system. Since the film is dialogue driven, it worked out well. The dialogues were loud and clear. I don't think I missed IMAX 70mm film (had planned to watch the film in it but good seats were not available). Oppenheimer felt like a 3-4 part TV series that has been presented as a 3-hour film. If given the choice, I would prefer to watch it as a TV series in the comfort of my home as it did "feel" long in the cinema.

(Potential spoilers start)

Cillian Murphey's acting and the anti-nuclear weapons message that the film eventually delivers are among its positives. The arms race has resulted in countries like Pakistan churning out such weapons even as tactical ones. While North Korea can feel comfortable threatening any nation with them.

As for negatives, I found Pugh's portrayal of Taltlock un-Nolanesque. The nude scenes involving her stuck out like a sore thumb. Also, the way Damon's Groves handed out his coat to one of the key assistants (some ranking official) for dry cleaning looked out of place too (and there are better ways to show or imply how he treats his team). As mentioned, the film could have worked better as a TV series, allowing it to go into more topics (like more on the horrors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki including showing the footage) and build up some more characters.

(Potential spoilers end)

Overall, is it worth praise esp. for the eventual message it delivers? Yes; Is it worth the hype? Probably, no! ... "Chernobyl" does a better job of showcasing the horrors of nuclear technology.

A good, balanced and thoughtful review. When I saw pugh was playing tatlock, my opinion and expectations went down a bit about the movie. never liked her acting style. very confrontational, lacks subtlety, etc

Edited by Vijy

Btw, on Saturday, I watched Barbie (2023). I had bought tickets for family members but one of them could not go so I took her place. Barbie was a time-pass fun film that created the Barbie world on screen (a lot of folks were dressed in pink) ... On Sunday, I watched this one. 

So the weekend was devoted to "Barbenheimer"! 

Edited by zen

1 hour ago, zen said:

Btw, on Saturday, I watched Barbie (2023). I had bought tickets for family members but one of them could not go so I took her place. Barbie was a time-pass fun film that created the Barbie world on screen (a lot of folks were dressed in pink) ... On Sunday, I watched this one. 

So the weekend was devoted to "Barbenheimer"! 

It’s ok , Bhai! No need to explain…we understand :giggle:

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

he is become barbie girl, destroyer of worlds

I’ve read his first book, just hoping that he will not get so inspired by this movie and write a  graphic novel , that  will  be an espionage thriller not like MI7 , but like a Barbie character fighting rival dolls over Ken!

Edited by coffee_rules

22 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Just that they were released on the same week and people (esp like me) are generally jobless. 

F1qKcozWYAA0XLE?format=png&name=900x900

Men vs Women

Mars vs Venus

Blue vs Pink debate!

Haha, I wasn't talking about any poster here but social media is rife with this comparison. Interesting map though. Interest in New Mexico for Oppenheimer is greater than in any of the coastal states. But then again it is home to Los Alamos and Roswell which was home to various space programs, Manhattan Project etc. so I guess not really.