Gukesh wins World Chess Candidates 2024. Becomes youngest ever contender for World Chess Championship crown.

rangeelaraja

12 minutes ago, rangeelaraja said:

Vishy is the unsung hero in all of this .....he has inspired an entire generation.

Vishy's primary trainer now works with Gukesh.

Gukesh trains in Anand's academy in Chennai. 

Watch this clip guys....becoming world champion was never the big ambition.  He new we would be world champion one day.

He had set his sights on being the youngest ever world champion.  And should he win the title in Nov - we will accomplish that in a big way.

Kasparov holds the record at 22 years.  Gukesh would do it at 18 years should be succeed.

I liked the trainer comment on how ice cold Gukesh is during games. Probably what set him apart this Championship, he takes a bit of more time but just comes up with precise movesevery time

57 minutes ago, rangeelaraja said:

India's chess legacy is much stronger than China in men's chess - thanks to VIshy Anand - 5 time world champion.

Wouldn't say much, maybe a tad ahead imo. Chinese men have won the Olympiad couple of times. Of course we have Vishy but they have produced more number of top players. All of that is changing now with our younger generation and the gap between India and China will only grow in our favor in coming years. 

We should look to surpass USA's chess legacy next (theirs is underrated and spans more than a century), but the ultimate gold standard will always be Russia. Hope in our lifetimes we see India surpassing Russia as well. 

Edited by Gollum

On 4/13/2024 at 11:07 PM, Gollum said:

Except India's 69th GM and Vishwa Vasna something, I can recognize all players. Even by face, except Cemil Can, familiar with that name but don't remember the face. Gukesh twice, why? And they look different.

What were you doing in the Olympiad?

Aren't you jealous that I have Gukesh's autograph twice?

:cool: 

1 minute ago, rangeelaraja said:

Hi @Mariyam 

I spoke to Gukesh, he asked me to apologize to you that the 2024 chess candidates was right in the middle of IPL, and ate into your IPL ICF commitments. He said hopefully you were able to balance. 

thanks ! 

Magnus Carlsen's prediction before the start of the tournament.

spacer.png

@rangeelaraja @Lone Wolf and others, for CCP the world title match between Ding and Gukesh will be politically important. They will not like their champion to lose to an Indian teenager. For years they dreamt of having a Chinese world champion (overall, not women's) and somehow, Ding got the job done. To lose that to their enemy country will be unimaginable for them, like USSR, these Chinese keep boasting about their superiority over the enemy, in this case India. Do you remember how condescending these bat eaters were when GOI banned Chinese apps post Galwan, their spokesperson was making comments like India can't manufacture anything, India must learn from China, nothing innovative in India etc. Their people have been brainwashed by their party to believe are better than us in anything and everything.

It's ok if Gukesh takes it as just another match, will ease pressure. But Modi must open the war chest. Our schoolkid beating their champion will land a psychological blow for the ages and refute their so called claims of intellectual superiority. We know for certain that Chinese won't leave any stone unturned. This will be a politically charged match, not at the level of the Cold War match of 1972 between Fischer and Spassky, but because of political tensions, border standoff etc., this won't be like any other match of recent times. 

I want GOI to arrange money for Gukesh (my tax money, I will happily part with for this cause), assemble the best team of seconds on the planet, make India's best supercomputer available to him for his preparation. And match should not be held in 'hostile' China, don't trust those people one bit, Ding may be a good guy but their system will bend rules to make him win at any cost. Needn't be in India as well, we must push for the game in a neutral country. Plenty of Indian billionaires who can make it happen, GOI must take this result very seriously and go on war footing. Our war with China isn't just on the borders, it is all pervasive and we must not cede one inch in any discipline to our biggest enemy. 

Edited by Gollum

13 minutes ago, Lord said:

so Pragg and Gukesh, we have 2 champions :nice:

Arjun Erigaisi recently had a great tournament in Spain. He's just 2 points behind Gukesh. Then there is Nihal, Raunak, Luke, almost all in the same age bracket. Each one of them (also our #1 girl Vaishali) is being trained/mentored/monitored personally by Anand....and Anand is also bringing in his friends like Kramnik, Gelfand, Svidler, ex-seconds to train them. His academy is on the lines of the Soviet school of chess which Botvinnik used to run (world champions Karpov, Kasparov, Kramnik were from that school). Anand never had these facilities when he was young, had to do everything by himself, but he is making sure our younger generation is the best looked after on the planet.