Praying for an india loss in final

mani sha

5 minutes ago, mikeypbadana86 said:

An Indian lose in Asia cup would be inconsequential considering no scope for changes prior to the World Cup.  People are blaming team selection (number 4) spot for the 2019 debacle. It was an unfortunate rain affected game which pushed the match to reserve day, imagine the nerves and state of mind of players through out the night prior to the match. Dhoni was big let down in the match , with his experience he left it all to Jadeja. The rain and overcast conditions made it a paradise for newzeland bowlers. 2019 aus vs eng , aus was out for 220+ with similar conditions of overnight rain and overcast conditions albeit batting first. 

1999 aus vs Pakistan, Pakistan was bundled for 132 having to bat on a pitch which had rain previous day and had overcast conditions on eve of match day.

2023--- More than the weather conditions, India has to battle the biggest challenge and pressure of home crowd/home team expectations. Kohli has come out of the slump, he is looking lot calmer. All his post match interviews post come back indicate him attributing his resurgence to god and nature indicating his crushing of his own ego and him not thinking self bigger than sport. When ego is crushed, he would always account for failure and areas of improvement and is better handling expectations from self and others.

I strongly feel Kohli would repeat what Aravinda desilva did in 1996 World Cup having played two match winning knocks in 1996 semi final and final.

India is basically a one batsman team now much like how Sachin was in the 90s but I doubt even Kohli will help India win the WC. Rest of the batsmen are just IPL hacks like Ishan Kishan, Suryakumar Yadav and glorified tailenders like Hardik and Jadeja. Only advantage for India are the pitches which should favor the home team, and hope the opposition dont bring their A game against India in a knockout game. But have to say, the batting looks probably the worst India has ever fielded in a World l Cup. India's bowling with Bumrah being back, looks bit better.

The team has been decided..now itrespective of what I preferred in team..I just want India to maximize whatever experience of mstch conditions,scenarios and pressure they can get…

if they get easy victory in final..its not useful for me..however even if they lose but gain a rich experience by battling it out in less favorable conditions/scenarios..it will be more meaningful experience…

as far as hoping for a loss is concerned..I am even willing to go to an extent of accepting a poor run in world cup…if it results in a radical change in TM vision and thought process..even to lower levels of domestic circuit..

but would it happen..I highly doubt…

6 hours ago, nitinbwj said:

Hoping for a loss?? Against SL...

HELL NO. !!!!!!! They have had many heartbreaking victories against us. They beat us in Asia Cup last year. I want Ind to smash them to pulp. 

It’s evident that - 

we have weakness against left arm spin , left arm swing . 
Our superstars will become even more complacent if we win . Gill won’t fire in each game . Hope Sri Lanka and later australia expose all our weakness . We enter the tournament as underdogs . 

this is likely the best team we will have . Only way forward is to hope we iron out these flaws . 

lots of positives from this cup so far - 

rahul has gotten fired up as his spot got threatened 

pandya bowling well .. 

gill runs 

rohit has real intent .

thakur proves why he is lord. Most underrated player of this generation 

kuldeep , bumrah have given us tooth . 
gill catching .. 

weakness - 

catching 

jadeja batting 

axar bowling 

Kohli against spin 

Shami death bowling 

sky - unsure if carrying a grenade like him will work or not . When and where will he play . 

weakness

Kohli against spin :  Kohl's default approach is to bat risk free, rotate strike which limits attacking options against spin. He is more orthodox and less attacking against spin. I am sure he would survive a tough spell from a spinner in world cup but may not dominate. what could he do different here? 

Todays match IND VS BL in Asia cup : ishan/surya lost wickets attacking spinners. Shubman gill perished while attacking the spinner having scored a 6 off previous ball. Spinners are always wicket takers. I think kohl's approach of being denesive against spinners may just work fine unless he is chasing 300 in a knock out. I think, he will Bring his A game in this scenario attacking spinners ???

Edited by mikeypbadana86
8 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

My 0.02:

Never ever root for a loss for Team India.  We can critique and berate selections and underperformance all we want because we care, but in the end, even if they select Akash Chopra to open in the 2024 T20 WC, support him to play well. In the end, I also realize that my supporting or not is not going to make a lick's worth of difference in how the team performs. It's simply entertainment and vicarious achievement for me to see these guys do things I dreamed about doing when I was 13 y.o. And posting about it on ICF gives me some semblance of control.

Now, if they select some known match-fixer or Jay Shah to be player/coach, then I am with the OP :-)

this 'hoping we lose so we actually win' shtick has just become a played cope by now. Even those who say it don't really wish for it so it's just rhetoric at best.

35 minutes ago, mikeypbadana86 said:

weakness

Kohli against spin :  Kohl's default approach is to bat risk free, rotate strike which limits attacking options against spin. He is more orthodox and less attacking against spin. I am sure he would survive a tough spell from a spinner in world cup but may not dominate. what could he do different here? 

Todays match IND VS BL in Asia cup : ishan/surya lost wickets attacking spinners. Shubman gill perished while attacking the spinner having scored a 6 off previous ball. Spinners are always wicket takers. I think kohl's approach of being denesive against spinners may just work fine unless he is chasing 300 in a knock out. I think, he will Bring his A game in this scenario attacking spinners ???

Kohli has poor defense against spin . also poor offense. 

Unlike sharma , he can’t hit great aerial shots . Does not have great sweep shots either . 

1 hour ago, Vickydev said:

Another gem of a thread.

The arrogance on show from Indian cricket fans at times is unbelievable, hoping to throw away a trophy to somehow "learn" to be better. 

Throwing implies we own it . 
we don’t own anything . 

our tail can’t bat , we don’t have batsmen who can bowl , we are reliant on bumrah and kuldeep .. lots of issues . 

biggest issue is our superstars . At this time the pak and Bangla team with one fourth the resources we have produces decent results . We are just hero worshipping 

2 hours ago, zen said:

Rohit-Dravid combo is probably meant to lift tier 2 titles like the Asia Cup ... Their resumes are supposed to boast of Asia Cups, Nidhas (like a tier 3 title), etc. 

:dontknow:

I hope they don’t get asia cup . Dravid is the worst coach I have seen tactically . 

5 minutes ago, mani sha said:

Kohli is for sure . Rohit , gill and rahul are actually decent . 

Do we have stats or sample size in ODI's or knock outs where he did badly against spin. I think, his record against spin was abysmal in t20 off late but in ODI's , he is just fine. I do not remember his struggles against spin in ODI's.

1 hour ago, mani sha said:

we don’t own anything . 

our tail can’t bat , we don’t have batsmen who can bowl , we are reliant on bumrah and kuldeep .. lots of issues . 

biggest issue is our superstars . At this time the pak and Bangla team with one fourth the resources we have produces decent results . We are just hero worshipping 

1 hour ago, mani sha said:

we don’t own anything . 

We don't own it and we shouldn't, we have to play well to win it because SL have been brilliant and if they beat us they deserve it

Its bonkers how as a supporter anyone can pray for a loss in final. It's a sport, the other team is out there to win as well.