Shami vs Shardul - What is your pick ?

Number

I think against good batting line ups which have good depth like England we will need Shami, Siraj, Bumrah and Kuldeep.

Against teams which have good bowling attacks like Pakistan, may be Shardul is better with the batting depth he provides.

Team management will chose between them looking at the oppositions and conditions.

Do you think going with Bumrah-Siraj-Kuldeep-Shami as the first choice is the right call ?

1 minute ago, Lord said:

Shami

Thakur's batting has gone down. and is an unreliable bowler.

If we are looking for big contributions from no. 8, game is lost anyway.

\I am all for Shami's inclusion. But let us not pretend that no.8  spot is not important. It is very vital these days for a lot of close games. Just that batsmen have to take more responsibility.

4 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Shardul should be played against non SENA teams and against SENA team Shami should play.

Shami, Bumrah, Siraj with Pandya is best fast bowling combination and it can match any fast bowling of any other team.

But batting ends at number 6.

Why should it end at 6? 

7.Pandya

8.Bumrah

9. Shami

10. Kuldeep

11. Bumrah

That is around 47 solid overs. Play the extra batter and get 3 overs of part time.  That's enough  

4 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

It is not that black and white.  Shami is obviously the better bowler.  But the thing is: when kuldeep and siraj return, we will hv 3 no.11 batsmen (kuldeep,bumrah, siraj).  So, by replacing thakur with shami, we will end up with four no.11 batsmen in the playing11.    Can we afford that? 

Shami, Bumrah have improved their batting. Thakur on current form is not much of an upgrade.

1 minute ago, Lord said:

no one sacrifices bowling ability for batting at 8. No. 8 who's a unreliable bowler will lose more games than they win.

He has done well in a few ODIs to be fair.  Took a lot of wicket sin the last 2 or 3 years. He is just not a death bowler.  If he is safe for 25, 30 runs more often that not why not. But his batting has regressed big time

Just now, putrevus said:

It is not as easy as you make it out to be.

Shami has gone for plenty of runs without picking wickets. 

When?

171 wickets in 93 games is damn good record. Also did well in both previous WC. 

Easily better bowler than Thakur

Just now, Nikhil_cric said:

Why should it end at 6? 

7.Pandya

8.Bumrah

9. Shami

10. Kuldeep

11. Bumrah

That is around 47 solid overs. Play the extra batter and get 3 overs of part time.  That's enough  

Pandya is number 6 for India. Jadeja/Sundar/Ashwin are number 7.There is no number 6 that is why I was hoping Tilak will be selected.

If Tilak plays, it gives batsmen more freedom. If his bowling is as good Mathew Short then what is stopping them from picking him.

Thakur then would not needed for any match at all.

3 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

He has done well in a few ODIs to be fair.  Took a lot of wicket sin the last 2 or 3 years. He is just not a death bowler.  If he is safe for 25, 30 runs more often that not why not. But his batting has regressed big time

Yeah that's my whole point. If he was batting as he was in 2021, then I'd chose him and maybe even bat him at 7.

Just now, Lord said:

Yeah that's my whole point. If he was batting as he was in 2021, then I'd chose him and maybe even bat him at 7.

Thakur imaginary Cushion.  If you look at last 5 bastmen none of them are known for six hitting.  Towards the end that is what we will need. So we are reduced to depending on one of the top order staying till the end.  Either that or push entire batting one order down and slot Jaddu somewhere at the top. This 5 weak hitters down the order means we will end up putting up less than part total or struggling to chase even moderate totals if we have a collapse.