Are you excited for the epic Australia vs Pakistan battle

sarcastic

I still remember watching WC 1999 (which is the first WC I followed and watched properly) match of India vs Kenya.
Sachin Tendulkar was in a very serious mood coming from his father's funeral but still giving his best for the country and scored that memorable century of 140 runs.

While I am enjoying this epic innings from SRT, the commentrators were telling about another match going on up at Headingley. That is between Australia vs Pakistan.
I saw that Pakistan was scoring at a snail speed until 35-40 overs. I thought poor Pakistan. But the final score of 275 at the end of 50 overs really surprised me. (That is a very good first innings total in those days).

Later I realized about Inzamam's great innings and the late order acceleration by Moin Khan and company that made that big score. McGrath gave 10 runs in the last two balls of 50th over. And Pakistan won that match by precisely that many runs, i.e. 10 runs.

Let me tell you a mindblowing fact (but easy for you to guess). That was the last match Australia lost in a world cup until 2011 world cup held in India, i.e. after almost 12 years.

Australia again lost a match vs Pakistan in 2011 but they prevailed over the latter in 2015 and 2019 editions. 

Now, the time is for the 2023 edition of this epic clash. Who are you backing to win? Whom do you want to win?

Are you excited for the epic Australia vs Pakistan battle

Let me check my interest levels in this game and what I hope to see: 

schadenfreude
/ˈʃɑːd(ə)nˌfrɔɪdə/
noun
Meaning: pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.
Pakenfreude
/ˈʃɑːd(ə)nˌfrɔɪdə/
noun

7 minutes ago, Norman said:

What is "epic" about this game ?

Should be another one sided affair most likely. Australia are too good a side to lose on a batting paradise to a team like Paxtan , filled with strokeless wonders.

Actually, some posters (incl.myself) at times use the word 'epic' not necessarily to describe the competitive nature of the contest when it comes to games involving Pak.   It rather means 'epic' phainta which Pak are likely to get while playing against top teams in a WC.  :laugh:

Edited by Frustrated