SKY has been the biggest batting failure in our CWC campaign

Nikhil_cric

9 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Everyone , including a post dengue Gill, has stood up and performed when it mattered. 

They had the bilateral performances to justify their selection and they have delivered in the World Cup as well.

SKY neither had the numbers in bilaterals not has he had any impact in the World Cup itself.

An absolute failure of a selection and shows why you need to select guys based on some performances in bilaterals at least rather than in whims and fancies. 

This is what they say, a proper batter from first class etc is the way to go not this bandaid fix

1 hour ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Thats because we were resigned to the fact that we had to take SKY in the squad 

My point was about the combination .

Not the squad. 

Anyway team that won the World Cup batted until 7 with batting all-rounders to cover up 5th bowlers quota. 

Yes there is no doubt that batting till 7 is ideal.

Aussies tho had 3 bowlers to fulfill the extra 10 overs.

We had 1 in Pandya assuming you drop Jaddu.

4 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

Can someone explain to me why SKY was not promoted up the order to get more match practice after India secured finals qualification?

Absolute madness that they allowed Kohli and co to stat pad their careers with useless milestones.

What about 50th 100, and breaking SRT's record? Indian cricket prioritizes individual milestones over the team. It was clear the way KL Rahul slumped to the ground in the opening match as he couldn't get to his 100. And Kohli risked the team losing to NZ in group stage so he could target 100. Between Tendulkar and Kohli they've 180 100s and barely any trophies to show for it. Someone like Travis Head has maybe 10 100s to his name and has won more trophies for Aus this year than our maharathis in their entire career!

The whole culture is rotten and that's the reason we underperform to such an extent despite having more resources than rest of the world put together. Another bilateral series will start soon and Kohli will score a 100 and the talk about him scoring 100 110s and breaking SRT's record will start all over again, and the fans will lap it up. We supposedly have "God" and "King" of cricket but barely any trophies to show.

5 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

What about 50th 100, and breaking SRT's record? Indian cricket prioritizes individual milestones over the team. It was clear the way KL Rahul slumped to the ground in the opening match as he couldn't get to his 100. And Kohli risked the team losing to NZ in group stage so he could target 100. Between Tendulkar and Kohli they've 180 100s and barely any trophies to show for it. Someone like Travis Head has maybe 10 100s to his name and has won more trophies for Aus this year than our maharathis in their entire career!

The whole culture is rotten and that's the reason we underperform to such an extent despite having more resources than rest of the world put together. Another bilateral series will start soon and Kohli will score a 100 and the talk about him scoring 100 110s and breaking SRT's record will start all over again, and the fans will lap it up. We supposedly have "God" and "King" of cricket but barely any trophies to show.

Brilliant post..

I loved what you said about priorities. I was chastised on here for commenting on how Kohli risked India's chance of winning vs NZ for another meaningless irrelevant century.

The Culture of Indian Cricket is completely rotten to the core.  The priorities are mindnumblingly stupid, instead of preparing for tournaments, they insist on players stat padding their careers to justify selection.

Kohli with his tuk tuk approach in white ball cricket, just creates so much pressure on the rest of the batsmen. His strike rate is almost always less  than 100, especially early in his innings.

Kohli should not be anywhere near the T20 side.

India's failure is also a result of the supporters mindset of celebrating 100s. 

47 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

Brilliant post..

I loved what you said about priorities. I was chastised on here for commenting on how Kohli risked India's chance of winning vs NZ for another meaningless irrelevant century.

The Culture of Indian Cricket is completely rotten to the core.  The priorities are mindnumblingly stupid, instead of preparing for tournaments, they insist on players stat padding their careers to justify selection.

Kohli with his tuk tuk approach in white ball cricket, just creates so much pressure on the rest of the batsmen. His strike rate is almost always less  than 100, especially early in his innings.

Kohli should not be anywhere near the T20 side.

India's failure is also a result of the supporters mindset of celebrating 100s. 

I think it's a cultural thing. There're very few genuine fans who care about trophies and team results over players' worship. Most of the Indian fans are actually individual players fans than fans of Indian cricket. They're happy as long as their player performs, or someone from their region/state gets into the team. Look at the backing behind Sanju Samson who's highly inconsistent, and I'm sure he'll get in ahead of likes of Rinku Singh despite folks seeing that Rinku has a better temperament.

Even the BCCI and admins know that as soon as IPL starts fans will forget everything, or a bilateral series with WI or SL is enough for to make majority of the fans happy seeing their favorite players scoring 100s. They only care about money and power, hence likes of Jay Shah, Sharad Pawar, Shashank Manohar, Rajiv Shukla etc. involved in cricket when they've no business doing so. End result is we'll continue to underperform and basically be at the same level as likes of WI, Pak, SL etc. despite being way ahead of them in terms of infrastructure and resources. Likes of Aus, and Eng will always be ahead of us as they have their heart in the right place, and genuinely care about the team's performance. They may make wrong decisions but will course correct and try to improve. Not like us where nothing changes and we continue the same way with the same set of failures and similar approach & processes. It's really a curse to be an Indian cricket fan when you know the board itself doesn't care as much as you do, and unfortunately we can't just stop being ICT fans.

Edited by Ultimate_Game
4 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

I think it's a cultural thing. There're very few genuine fans who care about trophies and team results over players' worship. Most of the Indian fans are actually individual players fans than fans of Indian cricket. They're happy as long as their player performs, or someone from their region/state gets into the team. Look at the backing behind Sanju Samson who's highly inconsistent, and I'm sure he'll get in ahead of likes of Rinku Singh despite folks seeing that Rinku has a better temperament.

Even the BCCI and admins know that as soon as IPL starts fans will forget everything, or a bilateral series with WI or SL is enough for to make majority of the fans happy seeing their favorite players scoring 100s. They only care about money and power, hence likes of Jay Shah, Sharad Pawar, Shashank Manohar etc. involved in cricket when they've no business doing so. End result is we'll continue to underperform and basically be at the same level as likes of WI, Pak, SL etc. despite being way ahead of them in terms of infrastructure and resources. Likes of Aus, and Eng will always be ahead of us as they have their heart in the right place, and genuinely care about the team's performance. They may make wrong decisions but will course correct and try to improve. Not like us where nothing changes and we continue the same way with the same set of failures and similar approach & processes. It's really a curse to be an Indian cricket fan when you know the board itself doesn't care as much as you do, and unfortunately we can't just stop being ICT fans.

You can see this on the TV.

Just look at the way Indian fans go to cricket games. They are like high school teenage girls, cheering and getting excited about 4s,6s and 100s scored.

Everything else is irrelevant.

Indian Cricket, lacks ruthless shrewd knowledgeable coaches and managers to put players in their place and tell them what to do and what not to do.

Ganguly was tough and ,intimidating and John Wright was a brilliant in the way he supported Ganguly.

We have clowns currently in charge of Indian Cricket.

3 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

At least Mongia could bowl and he actually managed to score a 100 in a bilateral series before the world cup. Mongia deserved his spot much more than SKY.

I even suggested that Ashwin should play instead of SKY.

In hindsight, this probably would have been far superior move. SKY failed yet again.

7 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

I even suggested that Ashwin should play instead of SKY.

In hindsight, this probably would have been far superior move. SKY failed yet again.

I really preferred Ashwin over Siraj for 2 reasons. I though we could open with Ashwin against Warner and Head on the slow, dry wicket. Plus would've given us more batting depth. I believed that Ashwin's spin would be a better bet on this pitch than Siraj. Open with Bumrah and Ashwin, and then have Shami as 1st change so you don't change any other bowler's role. IMO they missed a trick as Aussies would've found handling Ashwin more difficult than Siraj. That's what we did in 2011 WC at Motera and I really thought they would follow a similar approach.

3 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

I really preferred Ashwin over Siraj for 2 reasons. I though we could open with Ashwin against Warner and Head on the slow, dry wicket. Plus would've given us more batting depth. I believed that Ashwin's spin would be a better bet on this pitch than Siraj. Open with Bumrah and Ashwin, and then have Shami as 1st change so you don't change any other bowler's role. IMO they missed a trick as Aussies would've found handling Ashwin more difficult than Siraj. That's what we did in 2011 WC at Motera and I really thought they would follow a similar approach.

Ironically in the game that India beat Australia, we effectively played 2 pace bowlers and 3 spinners. Pandya bowled just 3 overs and Siraj 6.

India foolishly believed their form was real when in fact it was fraudulent. India were under performing, just that the other countries were doing worse.