Shubman Gill : Just too many weaknesses ?

Number

'Shubman Gill Is A Big Question Mark', Dinesh Karthik's Brutal Assessment On Opener Is A Must-Read

Shubman Gill is going through a lean patch at the moment, especially in red-ball cricket. His returns with the bat have been very low of late and it puts his place in the lineup at danger with so much talent waiting in the wings. Here's a revealing stat: in last 16 Test innings away from home, he has scored just 310 runs at an average of 21.33 with the best score of 100 which came against lower-ranked Bangladesh.

Gill scored 2 and 26 in two innings of Centurion Test, which was his first outing in whites in South Africa. The pressure continues to build on the new India No 3 as he took place of Cheteshwar Pujara, who cans still make a return to the national team. Not to forget, the likes of Ruturaj Gaikwad, Sarfaraz Khan and Abhimanyu Easwaran are in the queue, hungry for a chance.

Indian wicketkeeper and batter Dinesh Karthik feels that time has come for Gill to shine in the next Test vs SA or get dropped.  The RCB player said that Gill has become a question mark in the team and must perform to justify his place in the Test side. 

"Shubman Gill is the big question mark here. He has not lived up to the expectations that people have. I think even he would be aware that if you are going to average mid-30s or early-30s after having played 20 Tests, then you would consider yourself to be a bit lucky to be around. His place will definitely be under the scanner if he doesn't have a great Test match in the next one,” Karthik told Cricbuzz.

Gill's form is crucial for India. He has got the backing from the management led by head coach Rahul Dravid but series of poor performances will hurt him in the long run. The time has come for the emerging batter to put on a show in Cape Town in the 2nd and last Test of the series which starts on January 3. It could be the new start in new year for Shubman, who started off his Test career with a brilliant show in Australia on the our of 2020-21.

11 minutes ago, Vijy said:

gill is trash. I said it quite a few times even when he was scoring on pattas in LOIs. he is not a test match player, and even in ODIs, he is suitable only for pattas.

even as a kohli critic, I can say that none of them even gives me vibes of 33% of current kohli, let alone peak kohli, sunny, tendu, etc.

Gill is too much focused on glamour,Bollywood kachra ,girls,instagram,photoshoots etc

He has destroyed himself,an athelete must behave like one

He can't be an actor,model etc,people won't like him more so when he's not performing

And performance is a function of devotion, dedication and hardwork which he clearly deliberately lacks

41 minutes ago, Vijy said:

gill is trash. I said it quite a few times even when he was scoring on pattas in LOIs. he is not a test match player, and even in ODIs, he is suitable only for pattas.

even as a kohli critic, I can say that none of them even gives me vibes of 33% of current kohli, let alone peak kohli, sunny, tendu, etc.

His manner of dismissal in the 2nd inning in particular is really concerning.  It really was a nothing ball.   Yes, it was bowled at 140 but it neither swung nor had extra bounce.  He just missed a straight one directed at middle & off stump. 

10 hours ago, rollingstoned said:

'Shubman Gill Is A Big Question Mark', Dinesh Karthik's Brutal Assessment On Opener Is A Must-Read

Shubman Gill is going through a lean patch at the moment, especially in red-ball cricket. His returns with the bat have been very low of late and it puts his place in the lineup at danger with so much talent waiting in the wings. Here's a revealing stat: in last 16 Test innings away from home, he has scored just 310 runs at an average of 21.33 with the best score of 100 which came against lower-ranked Bangladesh.

Gill scored 2 and 26 in two innings of Centurion Test, which was his first outing in whites in South Africa. The pressure continues to build on the new India No 3 as he took place of Cheteshwar Pujara, who cans still make a return to the national team. Not to forget, the likes of Ruturaj Gaikwad, Sarfaraz Khan and Abhimanyu Easwaran are in the queue, hungry for a chance.

Indian wicketkeeper and batter Dinesh Karthik feels that time has come for Gill to shine in the next Test vs SA or get dropped.  The RCB player said that Gill has become a question mark in the team and must perform to justify his place in the Test side. 

"Shubman Gill is the big question mark here. He has not lived up to the expectations that people have. I think even he would be aware that if you are going to average mid-30s or early-30s after having played 20 Tests, then you would consider yourself to be a bit lucky to be around. His place will definitely be under the scanner if he doesn't have a great Test match in the next one,” Karthik told Cricbuzz.

Gill's form is crucial for India. He has got the backing from the management led by head coach Rahul Dravid but series of poor performances will hurt him in the long run. The time has come for the emerging batter to put on a show in Cape Town in the 2nd and last Test of the series which starts on January 3. It could be the new start in new year for Shubman, who started off his Test career with a brilliant show in Australia on the our of 2020-21.

Agree on most points but I think dropping him after SA series is a bit harsh. He has been in and out due to KL fitness in test team, didn't get a decent run like the one he got in ODIs. He should be given 2 more series and then it can be assessed.

Edited by Number

Lol at people commenting on Gill. Who are better players than him waiting in the wings.He might not set second on fire either, he has his issues even he knows it.Rohit Sharma even after 15 years is still a suspect in red ball cricket away from home.

All Gill needs to learn is once gets in , he needs to score a substantial score.He cannot throw his wicket away like in second innings. He still needs to play with freedom.Runs will come from his bat , he has improved his white ball batting a lot , personally I did not think he would develop attacking game in whiteball cricket so soon.

He just needs one big score to get his bearings back in red ball cricket.

He is getting totally exposed here. He has no idea how to play left arm spin.

ODI top order statpadding is something very easy to do these days and that shouldn't make anyone think he is too talented to not succeed.

Edited by Number

It was unfortunate he got dengue when he was in cracking form. I can personally add that once i got covid (4 times) … i am still not the same after that. He seems like he needs some real time off, he is a champ. He has lot do for indian cricket with like pant in future, thoughts?

Edited by Chaos

Gill's failure in this series is not surprising.  Disappointing, Yes.  But nothing surprising.   Don't understand what's wrong with our TM and Rohit.  Are they too naive to realise that he has always been our worst player of spin and the worst player of pace?  Basically he is good for nothing.  Avg of 29 justifies that too.   Are they selecting batsman based on ODI avg?   Are they not aware that ODIs are usually played on flatter pitches compared to tests ?    :whack:

Even before dengue he was a poor test batsman. His failures in test cricket aren't to do with lack of strength/stamina, usual after effect of illness. His technique is shot, mentally he is satisfied with 30-40 runs on a good day. Even the few times he batted well to get 50s or 100s, did you see hunger in him to be ruthless and bat long? 

BGT 4th test last year, flattest track laid by India in a long, long time. After Gill got his 100, he tried his best to throw it away and succeeded shortly after....out of sorts Kohli had the determination to keep batting, and he almost got a double. 

Edited by Gollum