Kohli 

Iyer

KL

Axar

Jadeja

Ashwin

Bumrah

Siraj

India have already won this series with this line up.

2 pace bowlers who can take wickets with the new ball, 3 spinners who in Indian conditions are unplayable against SENA.

6 recognized batsmen plus Axar, Jaddu and Ash, who the three of them will likely outscore a few English batsmen on this tour.

Batting line up in India is too strong compared to the POMS, probably the only player who you could not depend on for any runs is Siraj.

Im not 100% convinced of KL for a Test series in India. But IMO he will be given the job first up.

Agreed with everything but would like to propose some changes.

Patidar for Gill

Remove KL bring dhruv jurel. He is the next pant if backed. Can play pace and spin. 

Also don't forget shami will be back for rotation. 

31 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

that is a terrible lineup on so many levels,Axar at 6???his batting has dropped like a rock.why do we need 4 spinners when our 3rd spinner barely gets to bowl as it is.

Axar bats very well in India.Saved us so many times in BGT last year. Gill or Bharat etc don't offer anything better. 

Its his bowling that has gone down. That won't be required so its 3 spinners effectively. Can bowl if needed ofcourse. 

I've played Sundar in his place but he's not in the squad. 

8 hours ago, Lord said:

Gill has been very disappointing since Gabba, why should he be a certainty.

Rohit is just overhill now. 

If you don't work youngsters in home conditions, when else will you? We'll win series with this lot for sure

Who said Gill has to be Bradman. Gill is 24 why are we dropping him.

Are we running a charity. You need to play your best XI , Rohit is very good in home conditions.

I am not so sure. You are underestimating England.India have to play well to beat England.

1 minute ago, putrevus said:

Who said Gill has to be Bradman. Gill is 24 why are we dropping him.

Are we running a charity. You need to play your best XI , Rohit is very good in home conditions.

I am not so sure. You are underestimating England.India have to play well to beat England.

So if he's 24 he can be selected without performances? What dumb logic.

Rohit was very good, age is catching up with him. 

Yes hence select best performers instead of selecting on talent or reputation.

3 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

For what joy? Why do we need 6 bowlers ? 

Unless you are suggesting we play 4 spinners and 1 seamer? 

Axar is more in as a batsman. He plays in India very well, especially vs spin. I don't see a better bat in selected squad.

bowling if required is a bonus.

1 minute ago, Lord said:

So if he's 24 he can be selected without performances? What dumb logic.

Rohit was very good, age is catching up with him. 

Yes hence select best performers instead of selecting on talent or reputation.

How has he not performed, he scored 2 hundreds in last 9 tests which is same as Rahul.

You cannot expect consistency from a 24 year old. Give him time to grow , why are we pushing him out.What has Jaiswal done in SA. You want to kick him out too.

10 minutes ago, putrevus said:

How has he not performed, he scored 2 hundreds in last 9 tests which is same as Rahul.

You cannot expect consistency from a 24 year old. Give him time to grow , why are we pushing him out.What has Jaiswal done in SA. You want to kick him out too.

That's just dishonest analysis. Both his tons were on pattas in comfortable positions. Rahul OTOH scored his tons in SA, one from a precarious positions

Rahul himself has been dropped million times and is now playing only as a keeper. Why is Gill undroppable?

27 minutes ago, Lord said:

That's just dishonest analysis. Both his tons were on pattas in comfortable positions. Rahul OTOH scored his tons in SA, one from a precarious positions

Rahul himself has been dropped million times and is now playing only as a keeper. Why is Gill undroppable?

Rahul flopped in all four innings when Gill atleast scored one hundred against Bangladesh.So when Gill scores runs it becomes patta.

India was chasing huge total against Aussies and if Gill had not scored that 100 who knows how that test would have ended. 

What did he Rahul after scoring those tons has been the problem with Rahul all thru his career.Gill on other hand has not yet understood the playing test cricket.He is still young , he has shown improvement in whiteball cricket.

I never said Gill is undroppable. All I said was there is no need to drop him now.He just changed his batting spot too.He has played on some atrocious wickets.

You need to be patient with young player who have excelled atleast in one format.

Edited by putrevus
18 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Rahul flopped in all four innings when Gill atleast scored one hundred against Bangladesh.So when Gill scores runs it becomes patta.

India was chasing huge total against Aussies and if Gill had not scored that 100 who knows how that test would have ended. 

What did he Rahul after scoring those tons has been the problem with Rahul all thru his career.Gill on other hand has not yet understood the playing test cricket.He is still young , he has shown improvement in whiteball cricket.

I never said Gill is undroppable. All I said was there is no need to drop him now.He just changed his batting spot too.He has played on some atrocious wickets.

You need to be patient with young player who have excelled atleast in one format.

As I said KL plays as a keeper. I'm no fan of him otherwise. Drop him all you want.

That game v Aussies was a team draw where only 22 wickets fell in all 5 days. What else can it be called if not a patta?

The hundred against Bangladesh was after first innings lead of 250 or so.How is that tough?

Gill has already played 20 Tests, how much more patient do we have to be?

9 hours ago, Lord said:

My XI

Rohit

Jaiswal

KL

Kohli

Iyer

Axar

Jadeja

Ashwin

Bumrah

Kuldeep

Siraj

6 bowlers is overkill and not needed nor will it be  used in Indian conditions.

3 spinners and 2 pace bowlers is more than enough. England will barely survive 70 overs. A 6th bowler is a waste.

However, having an additional batsman in India will almost always be needed.

Hitman

Jaiswal

Gill

Kohli

Iyer

KL

Jaddu

Axar

Ash

Bumrah

Siraj.

11 hours ago, harpicP said:

Agreed with everything but would like to propose some changes.

Patidar for Gill

Remove KL bring dhruv jurel. He is the next pant if backed. Can play pace and spin. 

Also don't forget shami will be back for rotation. 

I dont disagree with anything you said, but this India and the BCCI, nothing will change.

10 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

For what joy? Why do we need 6 bowlers ? 

Unless you are suggesting we play 4 spinners and 1 seamer? 

Exactly in Indian conditions, the 5th bowler barely bowls more than 10-15 overs.

A 6th bowler would bowl much much less.

16 hours ago, Lord said:

My XI

Rohit

Jaiswal

KL

Kohli

Iyer

Axar

Jadeja

Ashwin

Bumrah

Kuldeep

Siraj

Do you think we really need Bumrah & Siraj both ?

It's Indian conditions, and mostly pitches will start to assist spin by 5th over itself, given the way Dravid anna likes.

Spin bowling quartet of Kuldeep, Ashwin, Jadeja, Axar should be enough. One quick in Siraj/Bumrah should be able to deal here for quick short spells of 3-4 overs...we will also have batting till no 9.

i am sure that KL RAHUL is definitely not our TEST wicketkeeper.

ideally BHARAT has the keeping Skills to play in the test but his batting skills are a question mark.

Sanju is also like KL- But has his keeping Skills improved?

Dhruv Jurel- I hardly know much about him?

Jitesh sharma- he is a GREAT keeper and his batting skills are very good for t20 and ODI...

if I am the selector MY first keeper would be Jitesh and my second would be Sanju Samson- I would play Jitesh and if he fails with the bat then I would play Sanju Samson. 

I am SURE about keeping skills of JITESH and I am also SURE about the batting Skills of Sanju.

if jitesh proves a good batsman too then he will take the position else Sanju get his opportunity. if both fail then Dhruv gets his opportunity.

Kuldeep Yadav and Ashwin are our best Spinners and Jaddu for his AR skills also plays. Siraj and BOOM are 2 pacers on Indian tracks. 

on any Indian pitch except in Chandigarh and North Cold State ( missing its name) - I will play only 2 pacers.

Among openers- I will go with Yashasvi and Rohit, Gill, Kohli, Shreyas, KL, Jaddu, Ashwin, Kuldeep, BOOM, Siraj. Hardik and Shammi are unfit else they go in for GILL and Siraj.

10 hours ago, SRT100 said:

6 bowlers is overkill and not needed nor will it be  used in Indian conditions.

3 spinners and 2 pace bowlers is more than enough. England will barely survive 70 overs. A 6th bowler is a waste.

However, having an additional batsman in India will almost always be needed.

Hitman

Jaiswal

Gill

Kohli

Iyer

KL

Jaddu

Axar

Ash

Bumrah

Siraj.

Axar is selected for batting. He plays spin really well and is an asset in Indian conditions.