What made absolute howlers disappear from cricket these days?

We see many decisions being overturned with DRS, but those are mostly close calls. What happened to absolute shocking howlers? How did those suddenly start disappearing from cricket? I rarely see any such howlers nowadays. I am talking about on-field decisions only.

Does anyone else share same observation?

3 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

We see many decisions being overturned with DRS, but those are mostly close calls. What happened to absolute shocking howlers? How did those suddenly start disappearing from cricket? I rarely see any such howlers nowadays. I am talking about on-field decisions only.

Does anyone else share same observation?

I think usage of DRS, similar to football has reduced howlers. Umpires do visual tests in computer, and have more idea about possible lbws they could not explore before or angles which are rare to get an lbw. Earpieces must help with nicks. 3rd umpire takes care of the no-ball most of the time.

As an old watcher of cricket, you must have noticed earlier umpires used to take the role of coaches. Playing across the line, reverese sweep, wrong length judgment on frontfoot or backfoot, even a unorthodox shot selection, leaving an incoming delivery might result in instantaneous lbw  wicket. Sometimes umpires were nationalistic, biased. Sometimes tailenders were simply given out for no edge just to finish games or protect them for short ball. Off spinners coming round the wicket were treated as garbage, you could pad up anything or everything. Now every wicket matters, every mistake is analyzed, even umpires have their stats of accuracy, overturn ratio etc.

I can give a chess analogy. Now players are more sharper, using computer lines, making chess theory deeper and deeper and playing more like machine. The accuracy of each move has increased for all super GMs. VAR in football needs to improve a lot, but it has taken away lots of offside/goalline howlers. Maybe it has taken a bit of romance from the games? Doubt i will again hate an umpire like ashoka di silva or bucknor again.

10 hours ago, SrinjayDutta said:

I think usage of DRS, similar to football has reduced howlers. Umpires do visual tests in computer, and have more idea about possible lbws they could not explore before or angles which are rare to get an lbw. Earpieces must help with nicks. 3rd umpire takes care of the no-ball most of the time.

As an old watcher of cricket, you must have noticed earlier umpires used to take the role of coaches. Playing across the line, reverese sweep, wrong length judgment on frontfoot or backfoot, even a unorthodox shot selection, leaving an incoming delivery might result in instantaneous lbw  wicket. Sometimes umpires were nationalistic, biased. Sometimes tailenders were simply given out for no edge just to finish games or protect them for short ball. Off spinners coming round the wicket were treated as garbage, you could pad up anything or everything. Now every wicket matters, every mistake is analyzed, even umpires have their stats of accuracy, overturn ratio etc.

I can give a chess analogy. Now players are more sharper, using computer lines, making chess theory deeper and deeper and playing more like machine. The accuracy of each move has increased for all super GMs. VAR in football needs to improve a lot, but it has taken away lots of offside/goalline howlers. Maybe it has taken a bit of romance from the games? Doubt i will again hate an umpire like ashoka di silva or bucknor again.

I can understand how more data improves judgement. But those are close calls where umpires seems to have been better.

But that's not the point. For ex - when was the last time we saw an umpire giving a batsman caught when ball was too far from bat. I can recall many such instances in 1990s and 2000s. But we don't see that anymore with DRS.

10 hours ago, SrinjayDutta said:

This. Most umpires make better decisions because of ball tracking.  Now they have a better sense of what to look out for in terms of where a ball has pitched and where it is likely to impact at a stumps length

9 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

This. Most umpires make better decisions because of ball tracking.  Now they have a better sense of what to look out for in terms of where a ball has pitched and where it is likely to impact at a stumps length

I am not talking about close calls.

When was last time we saw ball being 1 feet away from bat and umpire giving batsman giving it caught?

11 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

I am not talking about close calls.

When was last time we saw ball being 1 feet away from bat and umpire giving batsman giving it caught?

I have no other explanation. 

I can only assume that umpires are trained based on ball tracking data that is available now

And because of that their margin for error has reduced.

8 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

I have no other explanation. 

I can only assume that umpires are trained based on ball tracking data that is available now

And because of that their margin for error has reduced.

That's for LBW mostly.

Some of the shockers which we used to see where you didn't even need any replay, are rare now.

47 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

That's for LBW mostly.

Some of the shockers which we used to see where you didn't even need any replay, are rare now.

Sachin lbw where he was ducking for bouncer. lol. I think it's less about technology and more about the fact that umpires can't get away with blatant cheating and deliberate incompetence nowadays. Otherwise we still see some howlers even nowadays but because they get overturned for the most part we do not hear anything about it. Stokes LBW is one eg and several others Erasmus wasn't giving us in the WC against Pakistan.

3 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

That's for LBW mostly.

One possible help could be the fact that umpires today no longer have to worry about front foot no-ball so focus is always on actual play

9 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

That's for LBW mostly.

The reason you have the shockers is DRS. Players have used DRS to get rid of howlers. So they are not being debated as howlers anymore.

Stuart Broad not walking of thick edge due Aussies exhuasting all reviews even led to rule change of  getting fresh reviews after 80 overs if I am not wrong.

Edited by putrevus
18 hours ago, putrevus said:

The reason you have the shockers is DRS. Players have used DRS to get rid of howlers. So they are not being debated as howlers anymore.

Stuart Broad not walking of thick edge due Aussies exhuasting all reviews even led to rule change of  getting fresh reviews after 80 overs if I am not wrong.

Whether those go in news or not doesn't matter.

Maybe for normal fans those are unnoticed bcause of DRS. But for someone like me who remembers most of the moments of game distictively, I can say from my viewing experience that we don't see those obvious mistakes anymore.

On 1/13/2024 at 6:19 PM, Trichromatic said:

I can understand how more data improves judgement. But those are close calls where umpires seems to have been better.

But that's not the point. For ex - when was the last time we saw an umpire giving a batsman caught when ball was too far from bat. I can recall many such instances in 1990s and 2000s. But we don't see that anymore with DRS.

I will never forget how Tendulkar was given out caught (against Australia IIRC) after the ball missed his bat and went off his shoulder. I count that among the top 3 howlers in my books.

Chuckte Raho

TC

1 hour ago, Trichromatic said:

Whether those go in news or not doesn't matter.

Maybe for normal fans those are unnoticed bcause of DRS. But for someone like me who remembers most of the moments of game distictively, I can say from my viewing experience that we don't see those obvious mistakes anymore.

I disagree, we still are getting howlers from umpires, DRS is overturning them.

Because even the bowling side won't appeal on clear Not outs. They know it's a waste of time, even if the umpire gives it the reviews won't let it stay.

You won't see the keeper just launching the ball in the air and the bowler continue his run up to celebrate without a care in the world to deceive the poor umpires

And no umpire in the world will give decisions if the appeal is unconvincing

1 hour ago, Vickydev said:

Because even the bowling side won't appeal on clear Not outs. They know it's a waste of time, even if the umpire gives it the reviews won't let it stay.

You won't see the keeper just launching the ball in the air and the bowler continue his run up to celebrate without a care in the world to deceive the poor umpires

And no umpire in the world will give decisions if the appeal is unconvincing

Yeah, this seems plausible. Bowling side doesn't try to check their luck these days.