Average batsmen of Ranji don't succeed in test cricket

Mental fortitude is something that cannot be gauged until they play. Patidar looked like a deer caught in headlights against rookie spinners. I thought he would come out positively slamming them. Instead of he was planting frontfoot aimlessly tried defend spinning ball.

1 minute ago, tapandrun said:

V.good point Ind never had outlier, there were player billed to be next big thing but never lived to expectation but think only Sehwag was some1 who was not talked about as a big thing and done v.decent in intnl level.

To be honest i never imagined Jurel to be in the Indian Test set up given that there are lot of keeping competitions like Kishan, Samson.

5 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

To be honest i never imagined Jurel to be in the Indian Test set up given that there are lot of keeping competitions like Kishan, Samson.

Yes lucky him, but he was in U-19  Wc team, so had a platform for him. But so many issue with selections/injuries some how landed him with a test debut in the series where he was selected for the first time.

Mostly player have to travel with the team before they can get a chance to be in 11. Some are not that lucky they just get dropped after being traveller for 2/3 series.

Think Samson has laready missed the train and now RR has a player in Ind team they will put a chill to their PR team.

1 hour ago, tapandrun said:

Yes lucky him, but he was in U-19  Wc team, so had a platform for him. But so many issue with selections/injuries some how landed him with a test debut in the series where he was selected for the first time.

Mostly player have to travel with the team before they can get a chance to be in 11. Some are not that lucky they just get dropped after being traveller for 2/3 series.

Think Samson has laready missed the train and now RR has a player in Ind team they will put a chill to their PR team.

I am wondering how Samson will treat Jurel as he's leapfroggedd him in the keeper race.

I think india has too many players available. But they don't have the best method to identify the players who are most likely to succeed. i think they have to go beyond stats.  They need some sort of ranking system where you give weightage to the quality of the innings. quality of wickets.  IT is impossible to predict who will click who will not click until we see them. 

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

I think india has too many players available. But they don't have the best method to identify the players who are most likely to succeed. i think they have to go beyond stats.  They need some sort of ranking system where you give weightage to the quality of the innings. quality of wickets.  IT is impossible to predict who will click who will not click until we see them. 

Example is in front of us Dhruv Jurel...  Limited FC and IPL experience.   But looks like a top keeper and a very solid technical batter.  One of those rare inspired selections. 

To identify the players we need to bring back Challenger trophy like tournament. 

4 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Example is in front of us Dhruv Jurel...  Limited FC and IPL experience.   But looks like a top keeper and a very solid technical batter.  One of those rare inspired selections. 

To identify the players we need to bring back Challenger trophy like tournament. 

Yea. They need to have best pool of players competing against each other. So far we have identified some good players accidentally.  Thakur was an exclusively T20 bowler. So was Sundar. Both did well. But KS Bharat who was expected to be good in Tests sucked balls. So they are definitely overlooking something.

I think England ran India much closer than anticipated. 

This forced change. 

Think about it, if patidar chipped in with 60 runs per match (30 per innings). India would have won the first test and second. 

Bharat would be persisted with under the tag "giving him the series". We would not know nuch about Jurel. 

Many before this series expected ash n jaddu to run through the english batters and our batters to destroy the novice English spinners. 

Bharat can thank likes of patidar and iyer for being fellow passengers. 

Even now I think Dravid will give Mukesh more chances in test cricket.

Ganguly and Wright deserves more credit for trying viru in tests I guess, despite his mediocre ranji record, he passed their eye test. Later they tried the same with Yuvi but it didn't workout 

4 minutes ago, Serpico said:

So this theory is debunked by Viru?

GHvGyvwWsAAoeM7?format=jpg&name=900x900

Sachin massively underachieved. Of course he is one of the greatest ever, but could have been GOAT. In the end, ended up with an average less than Sangakkara's.

24 minutes ago, Jamadagni said:

Sachin massively underachieved. Of course he is one of the greatest ever, but could have been GOAT. In the end, ended up with an average less than Sangakkara's.

that's because his career was much longer than sanga, because sanga feasted better at home than sacchu did, and crucially because sanga retired in time to protect his average. SRT's avg until mid-2011 was nearly 57 in tests, after about 180 tests. if you take the span of 1992-mid 2011 (almost 20 years), he maintained a batting avg close to 60.

I agree he was a big underachiever. with his talent, he should have finished with an avg of 60+

31 minutes ago, Serpico said:

Ganguly and Wright deserves more credit for trying viru in tests I guess, despite his mediocre ranji record, he passed their eye test. Later they tried the same with Yuvi but it didn't workout 

Sehwag had an okay, if not stellar, ranji record - batting avg was close to 45-50

27 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Sehwag had an okay, if not stellar, ranji record - batting avg was close to 45-50

Also he is an opener. So 45 50 dor an opener is good

Although for ranji he may have played middle order

Edited by Kron
2 hours ago, Serpico said:

So this theory is debunked by Viru?

GHvGyvwWsAAoeM7?format=jpg&name=900x900

Not really.

Sehwag might have performed below par in some of the Ranji games after becoming a regular in test cricket, but his overall FC record was quite good before debut. See my post above.

Ranji trophy was not the only FC games they used to play earlier. There was zonal cricket, then A games and matches for teams like Boards President XI v touring teams.