RIP Derek underwood

In 1976 tour when England toured India Underwood was the highest wicket taker amongst both sides with 29 wickets at 17.55

Bedi had 25 wickets at average of 22.96

So it is not true that he only bowled on sticky wickets. Yes he was deadly on those but he out bowled Bedi in India. 

Had 50 wickets in Australia at average of 31.48 - not bad at all. Those were fine Aus batting sides he faced with Redpath, the Chappells, Doug Walters etc.

Different from traditional spinners in that he rarely flighted the ball. More gentle medium pace with turn. Had said "Sunny is my bunny!".

Edited by AKane
18 hours ago, Gollum said:

Probably the GOAT SLA. 

too many pre-WW2 spinners that we know little about (briggs, blythe, verity, etc). even in post WW2, deadly was mostly deadly on helpful tracks and accurate on flatter tracks. in that respect, he was like jaddu and herath.

I rate shivalkar higher than undie. and I say this while considering undie a legit ATG. saw both live too

if we include chucker Lock among post-WW2 bowlers, he was better than undie too - but I don't include him of course

Edited by Vijy
9 hours ago, Gollum said:

Herath was poor outside home, not just in SENA.

Bedi was never a strike bowler.

indeed bedi was a containing bowler, unlike shiv (shivalkar) who was both accurate and looked for wkts.

Edited by Vijy