Selector's mum on Badrinath’s inclusion

1 hour ago, Trichromatic said:

Please list 10 such fodders who scored 5k runs at sunch insane average.

Wasim Jaffer is easily among top 10 openers for India. 

How ? He was mediocre outside india? Even in India, he struggled vs big teams. 

Badrinath had a clear weakness vs short ball. That's precisely why he wasnt picked. Same reason why iyer isn't picked for tests. 

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

How ? He was mediocre outside india? Even in India, he struggled vs big teams. 

Badrinath had a clear weakness vs short ball. That's precisely why he wasnt picked. Same reason why iyer isn't picked for tests. 

Can you name 10 Indian openers better than Jaffer upto from first test of India (1932) to Jaffer's last test? 

Can you name 10 fodders who scored 5k runs at such insane average like Badri?

35 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Can you name 10 Indian openers better than Jaffer upto from first test of India (1932) to Jaffer's last test? 

Can you name 10 fodders who scored 5k runs at such insane average like Badri?

Badri is an opener? 

Iyer averages 50 plus I am pretty sure. 

Mayank averages almost 50. I don't believe he is crap. There is potential. 

Averaging 50 plus without ability to play short ball should be taken with a grain of salt. 

4 hours ago, Jay said:

No. People don't watch the games properly. Badri was weak vs short ball. Kohli wasn't. That's why people need to watch the actual A tour games or ranji.

When comparing him with Virat, who is an India ATG yes, and I know thats the point of this thread...but there were others who got too long a rope- Yuvraj, Raina to name two

45 minutes ago, Jay said:

Badri is an opener? 

Iyer averages 50 plus I am pretty sure. 

Mayank averages almost 50. I don't believe he is crap. There is potential. 

Averaging 50 plus without ability to play short ball should be taken with a grain of salt. 

Jaffer was an opener. Giving Jaffer's example as how a good domestic performer can be failure in international doesn't make sense.

Jaffer played 31 tests and scored close to 2k runs. He deserved his spot and was replaced by better players. His performance wasn't bad to that level to make an example of. 

Still waiting for list of loads of fodders having insane avg like Badri had in 2005-2010 phase.

9 minutes ago, Sooda said:

When comparing him with Virat, who is an India ATG yes, and I know thats the point of this thread...but there were others who got too long a rope- Yuvraj, Raina to name two

Oh yes. He should definitely be picked over those two dud fodders. No doubt. I thought the comparison was with virat alone though?

I agree 100%. Politics plays a part over his non selection over mediocre players. 

10 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Jaffer was an opener. Giving Jaffer's example as how a good domestic performer can be failure in international doesn't make sense.

Jaffer played 31 tests and scored close to 2k runs. He deserved his spot and was replaced by better players. His performance wasn't bad to that level to make an example of. 

Still waiting for list of loads of fodders having insane avg like Badri had in 2005-2010 phase.

Badri isn't an opener. I am comparing any batsman who averages close to 50 or above with badri. 

I agree badri should be picked over lot of the other crap that got selected. Not over virat obviously. For sure bsdri over guys like yuvi and other trash that we drafted In. 

Look at vihari for instance. He averages 57 in ranji. Averages 37 in internationals so far. Ability matters more than stats. 

Labushage averaged 39 I domestic. One season of county changed his career trajectory. He is now averaging 59 in internationals. 

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

Badri isn't an opener. I am comparing any batsman who averages close to 50 or above with badri. 

I agree badri should be picked over lot of the other crap that got selected. Not over virat obviously. For sure bsdri over guys like yuvi and other trash that we drafted In. 

Look at vihari for instance. He averages 57 in ranji. Averages 37 in internationals so far. Ability matters more than stats. 

Labushage averaged 39 I domestic. One season of county changed his career trajectory. He is now averaging 59 in internationals. 

Again Vihari is not a failure at international level. 

Hardly an example to show that ability matters more than stats.

15 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Again Vihari is not a failure at international level. 

Hardly an example to show that ability matters more than stats.

Not saying he is a failure. But compared to his monstrous home record, he hasn't impressed as much. He is good. Don't get me wrong. He is bloody good. Future pujara. Just saying. Ability vs short ball and swing matters when choosing players over stats alone. Need the whole package is what I am trying to say. I fully agree with badri deserving chances over yuvi and the other trash we brought in due to Dhoni quota connections. However picking kohli over him was obviously the right choice. 

Look at labushagne. That's a perfect example. 

Edited by Jay
20 minutes ago, Jay said:

Not saying he is a failure. But compared to his monstrous home record, he hasn't impressed as much. He is good. Don't get me wrong. He is bloody good. Future pujara. Just saying. Ability vs short ball and swing matters when choosing players over stats alone. Need the whole package is what I am trying to say. I fully agree with badri deserving chances over yuvi and the other trash we brought in due to Dhoni quota connections. However picking kohli over him was obviously the right choice. 

Look at labushagne. That's a perfect example. 

He is an exception. And Australian player. 

Most Indian batsmen average lower in internationals than their FC or best similar to their FC avg. Rarely anyone averages higher in international.

Badri? I saw the man play and from the small sample, believe he was highly susceptible against pace.  I cannot forget the site of him lunging out to jab against South African bowlers, like he was a rookie.  Remember that guy in gulley games who sorta hops up and jabs at the ball?   That’s how I remember his batting.  It was embarrassing, not that he was beaten, but how.

it was a long time ago but I looked up his Test cricket dismissals.  Here they are (he scored 56, 6, 1).  Apologies for the formatting am posting via mobile.

58.1 Steyn takes out Badrinath. South Africa climb all over India. It was a length delivery on the middle and leg,tailing in with the shiny side, flicked straight to short midwicket. Soft dismissal but that's that. SA take great control over the game. 221/6

41.3 Parnell takes out Badrinath. It was delivered from round the stump, landed full in length and held its line, tailing away with the shiny side, Badrinath lunged out with an open bat-face and the ball clipped the outside edge and Boucher did the rest. India are tottering here and what a wonderful game this has been for South Africa. 122/4

74.6 Steyn you beauty! It was the vicious off cutter,cutting in from just outside off stump, Badrinath is clueless as he pushes out tentatively and the ball rushes through the bat and pad gap to crash against the off stump. Badri totally exposed there; Steyn has been working him through that over. Totally outclassed. And South Africa are back in the hunt. The game is alive and kicking. What more can one ask? 

And those second and third dismissals are precisely as I recall.  Embarrassingly so. Badri ‘lunging’, ‘pushing’ to his outs.

Badri’s non selection will excite more heated debates over time (amongst cricket nerds like us, the average fan doesn’t remember or care) because of his amazing domestic record.  

Perhaps he could have been given more  opportunities but I will say that any selector would be totally justified in assuming that he was embarrassingly clueless against pace basis this showing.    You could see it on the screen.  I for one cannot criticise his non-selection.

Edited by NameGoesHere
32 minutes ago, NameGoesHere said:

Badri? I saw the man play and from the small sample, believe he was highly susceptible against pace.  I cannot forget the site of him lunging out to jab against South African bowlers, like he was a rookie.  Remember that guy in gulley games who sorta hops up and jabs at the ball?   That’s how I remember his batting.  It was embarrassing, not that he was beaten, but how.

it was a long time ago but I looked up his Test cricket dismissals.  Here they are (he scored 56, 6, 1).  Apologies for the formatting am posting via mobile.

58.1 Steyn takes out Badrinath. South Africa climb all over India. It was a length delivery on the middle and leg,tailing in with the shiny side, flicked straight to short midwicket. Soft dismissal but that's that. SA take great control over the game. 221/6

41.3 Parnell takes out Badrinath. It was delivered from round the stump, landed full in length and held its line, tailing away with the shiny side, Badrinath lunged out with an open bat-face and the ball clipped the outside edge and Boucher did the rest. India are tottering here and what a wonderful game this has been for South Africa. 122/4

74.6 Steyn you beauty! It was the vicious off cutter,cutting in from just outside off stump, Badrinath is clueless as he pushes out tentatively and the ball rushes through the bat and pad gap to crash against the off stump. Badri totally exposed there; Steyn has been working him through that over. Totally outclassed. And South Africa are back in the hunt. The game is alive and kicking. What more can one ask? 

And those second and third dismissals are precisely as I recall.  Embarrassingly so. Badri ‘lunging’, ‘pushing’ to his outs.

Badri’s non selection will excite more heated debates over time (amongst cricket nerds like us, the average fan doesn’t remember or care) because of his amazing domestic record.  

Perhaps he could have been given more  opportunities but I will say that any selector would be totally justified in assuming that he was embarrassingly clueless against pace basis this showing.    You could see it on the screen.  I for one cannot criticise his non-selection.

If lunging and tentatively pushing maybe an indication that batsman is not fit for test cricket, then who knows what would have happened if 2014 England series was Kohli's debut series.

20 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

If lunging and tentatively pushing maybe an indication that batsman is not fit for test cricket, then who knows what would have happened if 2014 England series was Kohli's debut series.

If 2014 was Kohli's debut series, he would not have played tests for long long time and rightly so. I don't think Badri was ever going to be international class.He have done well in India in tests against lesser teams like Jaffer who also was very suspect against pace and bounce. Jaffer was lucky as he was an opener.

I don't think Badri demanded a place over Yuvraj or even Raina for that matter.