Javagal Srinath: One in a billion

I remember some commentators in the 90 saying this about Srinath - Srinath was fast through the air' date=' but his deliveries usually lost pace upon hitting the deck, compared to express pace bowlers of his era.[/quote'] Actually the other way round. Even 135 k deliveries from Srinath took off after hitting the deck. Lots of bounce and zip off the deck. That is one of the biggest ressons why Srinath was too short during the first half of his career. Because the deliveries looked spectacular when they thuded into the keeper's gloves. But did not produce enough edges and he did not take enough wickets at the beginning of his career. You are absolutely right about his body language. One of the worst body languages I have ever seen. He once apologized to Ponting after bowling a bouncer.
Actually the other way round. Even 135 k deliveries from Srinath took off after hitting the deck. Lots of bounce and zip off the deck. That is one of the biggest ressons why Srinath was too short during the first half of his career. Because the deliveries looked spectacular when they thuded into the keeper's gloves. But did not produce enough edges and he did not take enough wickets at the beginning of his career. You are absolutely right about his body language. One of the worst body languages I have ever seen. He once apologized to Ponting after bowling a bouncer.
Hmm. I don't think you are right. I remember reading a Lillee interview where in he specifically mentions that both Prasad and Srinath did not have sufficient upper body strength to hit the deck hard. This was in 1997 or 98. Infact, Lillee says in the same interview that fast bowlers need that zip after the bounce to be great bowlers. Lillee then advises both Prasad and Srinath to practice fielding in the deep to develop the strong arms needed to create the genuine pace after hitting the deck. Yes, Srinath apologizing to Ponting was ridiculous. Batsmen did not fear Srinath, because Srinath never liked hitting the batsmen. It was a good trait outside the field, but you can't be soft as a fast bowler on the field.
Hmm. I don't think you are right. I remember reading a Lillee interview where in he specifically mentions that both Prasad and Srinath did not have sufficient upper body strength to hit the deck hard. This was in 1997 or 98. Infact, Lillee says in the same interview that fast bowlers need that zip after the bounce to be great bowlers. Lillee then advises both Prasad and Srinath to practice fielding in the deep to develop the strong arms needed to create the genuine pace after hitting the deck. Yes, Srinath apologizing to Ponting was ridiculous. Batsmen did not fear Srinath, because Srinath never liked hitting the batsmen. It was a good trait outside the field, but you can't be soft as a fast bowler on the field.
Look at any videos of him bowling before 1997 and judge for yourself. The 1996 tour of England would be a good one to pick as the bounce in England is neither too high like Australia nor too low like India. Old interviews are hardly the best sources of information if you want to form a correct opinion about a past player whom you have not seen much. There are out of context statements, incorrect interpretation of what the expert said and personal biases of the expert.
^ Yes, tests became much more frequent in the 2000s onwards. 8 odd tests a year or so was the norm for much of recent cricket history until this era.
Yep. 1990s were about 35 to 40 ODIs per year. Interestingly, in the early 1980s, India used to play 10 to 17 tests a year....when ODIs were few and far better. ODIs picked up from the mid to late 80s.
didn't see a lot of him before 2000 as was too young so have a question: Was he very injury prone akin to lets say Akhtar or Yadav these days. Only played 67 tests!!!!
Because it took 3 years after his debut for him to play a test at home only once Kapil retired. There was no place for him. Kapil and Prabhakar were our main bowlers and 3 spinners at home. Also, we used to play very less amount of tests back then.
On 12/10/2014 at 10:36 PM, rkt.india said:
didn't see a lot of him before 2000 as was too young so have a question: Was he very injury prone akin to lets say Akhtar or Yadav these days. Only played 67 tests!!!!

Because it took 3 years after his debut for him to play a test at home only once Kapil retired. There was no place for him. Kapil and Prabhakar were our main bowlers and 3 spinners at home. Also, we used to play very less amount of tests back then.

yes, these were the reasons.

6 hours ago, Vilander said:

lol scum has come to this thread now...hehe

after getting his arse handed with pace stats in speed thread, scum is here posting selective videos of Srinath.

1999 WC srinath was second fastest after Akthar lol...where were your waqar and wasim ?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/111878.html

just before akhtar, he was a contender for the fastest bowler in the world who was a team regular (i.e. ignoring occasional selections like hayward). I know he was faster than donald and the rest when the teams met.

Overrated bowler. Yes, he was faster than he was given credit for, but he lacked control, wasn't very smart with his bowling and had the most passive body-language ever for a fast bowler. No self-confidence. 

The biggest problem with Srinath was he was, for most of his career, an absolute ZERO with the out swinger and couldn't control his swing (the inswinger) very well. Standard over from Srinath was a few short of length balls on 5th stump corridor that'd thud into the keeper's gloves, then a small inswinger that'd miss the edge, then a massive inswinger into the pads thats steered fine. 

Just about the only thing Srinath was underrated for, was his speed. But overall, a very average pacer.