Watched any new movies? *Please use spoiler tags*

Rajiv

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Loosely inspired, but then a lot of movies are insprired from City of God. 

Come on now. The narrative style and structure, including flashbacks and perspective shifts are a complete clone. Chennai and its local slums stand in for the Rio Favela. 

I actually like Dhanush, but this movie was a disappointment 

34 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Come on now. The narrative style and structure, including flashbacks and perspective shifts are a complete clone. Chennai and its local slums stand in for the Rio Favela. 

I actually like Dhanush, but this movie was a disappointment 

There are  lot of Tamil gangster movies based in North Chennai, all have a similar setting. Polladhavan (2007), Pudhupettai (2006), Vikram Vedha, all have the same look and feel.  

27 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

There are  lot of Tamil gangster movies based in North Chennai, all have a similar setting. Polladhavan (2007), Pudhupettai (2006), Vikram Vedha, all have the same look and feel.  

City of God came out in 2002.  If you've seen it, the parallels in Vada Chennai are unmistakable.   Again, this is not to diss Dhanush, I like the guy, stumbled across him by watching one of his movies during a flight years ago, the one where he's an unemployed graduate - but that movie is anything but original - a very enthusiastic rip-off of City of God.  

4 hours ago, sandeep said:

City of God came out in 2002.  If you've seen it, the parallels in Vada Chennai are unmistakable.   Again, this is not to diss Dhanush, I like the guy, stumbled across him by watching one of his movies during a flight years ago, the one where he's an unemployed graduate - but that movie is anything but original - a very enthusiastic rip-off of City of God.  

having parellel doesnt make it a rip off.....rip off means scene to scene frame to frame copy. I hvent seen city of god but if its a scene to scene frame o frame copy then its a rip off or else it nothing but inspiration. We misuse the word rip off

there if a diff between 

Rip off

Inspiration

Homage 

Remake

Adaptation

I can tell may films who had similar parellel like Raj kapoor "jaagte raho" and martin scorsese " after hours" had so much similarity yet it cant be called a rip off, after hours came after 15 years i think. Even Tamil film "soddhum koovum" had huge similarities with horrible bosses 2 which came a year after. Godfather is like a bible for most filmmakers while making a gangster film.....so they the word to be used in that case would be inspired

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

7 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

having parellel doesnt make it a rip off.....rip off means scene to scene frame to frame copy. I hvent seen city of god but if its a scene to scene frame o frame copy then its a rip off or else it nothing but inspiration. We misuse the word rip off

there if a diff between 

Rip off

Inspiration

Homage 

Remake

Adaptation

I can tell may films who had similar parellel like Raj kapoor "jaagte raho" and martin scorsese " after hours" had so much similarity yet it cant be called a rip off, after hours came after 15 years i think. Even Tamil film "soddhum koovum" had huge similarities with horrible bosses 2 which came a year after. Godfather is like a bible for most filmmakers while making a gangster film.....so they the word to be used in that case would be inspired

I'm not getting sucked into a meaningless hair-split argument with you about what the word "rip off" means.  Feel free to define it according to your whims.  

On 3/16/2020 at 7:12 PM, coffee_rules said:

No, I was not intending to say that you were making light of the Indian soldiers' role. Because you said, "And the movie is very accurate historically. Apparently, there were Sikh soldiers who fought in that battle.", I was surprised that you didn't know that 1.2 million Indian solders fought in that battle. This detail was missing in the other WW1 movie from Nolan, Dunkirk. 

Nope, I wasn't aware. History is not my strong suit.

I generally read up on the history before/after watching the movie.

Dunkirk was about WWII? The Hitler wala war. Not WWI. Maybe no Indian soldiers fought in that battle, idk.

I think most of these Hollywood big banners spend a lot to get the history right. The would have dedicated research teams. My problem with these movies is that they become too documentary-esque with very less dramatisation. I was thoroughly bored while watching Dunkirk, but still found it more engaging than 1917.

On 3/16/2020 at 7:32 PM, sandeep said:

I think you are overly fixated on the cursing, maybe because it distracted you. All movies use tropes and plots that aren't necessarily new, but its the execution that sets them apart.  If you had been able to look beyond the cussing, you might even have liked the movie.  It was a story told in a very unique voice - from the music, to the characters, even their names.  Yes, language and violence were used in it for 'shock value', but its not as if that's all there was to it.  

Of course I was distracted!

Difficult to not be distracted by the cursing when it just doesn't end. 

Even the violence was on an altogether different scale. They had to show a whole new level of gore, which I feel is a lot more disturbing than the inane cursing. They could have been subtle and shown a single bullet being fired and/or the a person falling in pain. But no, they choose to show us more, leaving nothing to imagination.

That is what I meant by shock value. This movie, for me at least, was many islands of shock value joined together by some bridges of very cliched dialogues.

Edited by Mariyam

1 hour ago, Sgattick10 said:

Pls suggest some good thrillers/whodunnit films to kill time..staying at home is not easy.

100 days

Gupt

Gumnaam (*ing Manoj Kumar)

Johnny Gaddar

Andhadhun

Kaun (best film by RGV, in my books)

Woh kaun Thi? (*ing Manoj Kumar, again)

Ugly

Edited by Mariyam