Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

Bumrah has done better over a longer period, but Siraj has been the best Indian pacer of 2021 for me in tests even if his numbers may not look "outstanding". he always gives his 100%, has pace, intelligence, intensity, commitment - great find overall. TM and selectors screwed him over for several yrs. should have been playing in tests much earlier.

Bumrah is yet to do it in India

Did not know that Southee had it in him to bowl so many bouncers and rising short balls in a row.

Yes, most of them were non threatening and he was mostly bowling 125 k to 132 k ... but it did prevent the Indians from scoring fast. 

It takes a lot of effort and prime fitness to bowl so many short balls in a row.

11 hours ago, Vilander said:

Umesh vs WI and BD, shami VS WI come to mind. Perhaps some of the earlier Aus SA games  but need to check stats. Don't think This Siraj spell is much better than those to be honest. 

There were some very good spells no doubt  where we have seen fear in batsmens' eyes esp BD & SL batters vs Shami & Umesh . But the standard of those batters  and WI of those teams was not comparable to AUS, ENG NZ  against pace. That should also be considered. 

Thats why Umesh vs Aus in Dharamshala was really good where batsmen were shaken up by him . Pitch was bit helpful for fast bowling.

31 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Did not know that Southee had it in him to bowl so many bouncers and rising short balls in a row.

Yes, most of them were non threatening and he was mostly bowling 125 k to 132 k ... but it did prevent the Indians from scoring fast. 

It takes a lot of effort and prime fitness to bowl so many short balls in a row.

Southee is very smart operater unlike Ishant who never had clue how to use height to his advantage

6 hours ago, express bowling said:

if you ccant bowl pace, i expect indian bowlers to bowl bouncers and yorkers at will even at medium pace like wagner.

28 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Most of the Indian test match quicks are quicker than the NZ test match seamers.  So, I hope to see them bowl with both pace and aggression.

Just saying that as an example. I know indian bowlers are quick and hostile. Bumrah holds back vs Kiwis though I feel. Never saw him try bouncers vs them. Not sure why. 

I am giving advice to medium pace trundlers. I don't like trundlers but if you want to get into Indian side then show me you can bowl bouncers or yorkees at will like a southee or Wagner. Then it's OK to bowl 125-133. Otherwise stay away from bowling 

1 minute ago, rollingstoned said:

Apart from ashwin neither axar nor jayant bowled well today. Considering he is an experienced domestic veteran i was disappointed with his lack of control. 

jayant is not much of a bowler, tbh. I think he was selected because he added some batting insurance. axar was surprisingly inconsistent - hopefully he rectifies it tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Forward Defence said:

We need a proper test match right arm legspinner. After Amit Mishra I can't recall any who have played in our test team. Hope Bishnoi or Chahar fills the void someday.

Leg spinners in test cricket are overrated unless you are a Shane Warne due to the lack of control. An off spinner and a good left arm spinner are good enough for test cricket.  Test cricket now is all about accuracy. Even Amit Mishra as a test bowler was useless.

Edited by rkt.india
32 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Leg spinners in test cricket are overrated unless you are a Shane Warne due to the lack of control. An off spinner and a good left arm spinner are good enough for test cricket.  Test cricket now is all about accuracy. Even Amit Mishra as a test bowler was useless.

How are those finger spinners doing in tests outside Asia ?

Ability to turn the ball both ways ... thus introducing the element of deception ... has to be there if the surface is not offering huge turn.

Only Ashwin, after he has mastered his carrom ball in the last 2 years, has looked good in tests outside Asia.

90% of the finger spinners are like medium paced swing bowlers ... basically bowlers who do well only when conditions are very favourable.

2 hours ago, Forward Defence said:

We need a proper test match right arm legspinner. After Amit Mishra I can't recall any who have played in our test team. Hope Bishnoi or Chahar fills the void someday.

even better, a leg spinner who can bowl close to medium pace and maintain accuracy. such players are particularly deadly - like Bill O'Reilly and Sydney Barnes

21 minutes ago, express bowling said:

How are those finger spinners doing in tests outside Asia ?

Ability to turn the ball both ways ... thus introducing the element of deception ... has to be there if the surface is not offering huge turn.

Only Ashwin, after he has mastered his carrom ball in the last 2 years, has looked good in tests outside Asia.

90% of the finger spinners are like medium paced swing bowlers ... basically bowlers who do well only when conditions are very favourable.

Lyon has done well enough. I don't think it's a matter of bowling style alone, but also a matter of bowling ability. for example, Yasir Shah is a leggie but quite useless in several places in the world (e.g., Oz) due to lack of talent. think one should select the best bowlers for the conditions - if it so happens that they are left-arm pace or legspin, that's good, but even if not, the main criterion is that they should be effective.

I am noticing a real paucity of leg spin anywhere in the world. most of the effective test spinners are finger spinners: Lyon, Leach, Maharaj, Ashwin (to a lesser degree, Axar and Jaddu), Ajaz, Embuldeniya, Shakib, and so on. Leggies like Yasir (apart from UAE), Shadab, Hasaranga, Mason Crane, etc. have all done poorly in tests

Edited by Vijy