Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

2 hours ago, New guy said:

Wasim etc bowled 130kph most of his career so thats plain false

Speed readings were shown regularly on TV from the World Cup 1999, when Wasim was in the 15th year of his career.

Most great batsmen who have actually played him in his best years claim that he was very fast whenever he wanted to be. 

This is a more helpful era for pace bowlers though, even bhuvi and thakur average 27 and 19

Check the total wickets. Longer careers change things.

Edited by express bowling
6 hours ago, New guy said:

Wasim etc bowled 130kph most of his career so thats plain false

This is a more helpful era for pace bowlers though, even bhuvi and thakur average 27 and 19

Lol wasim bowled 135-145 in his prime easily. For 5 years he bowled at that pace. Only after he got diagnosed with diabetes and other issues he went down in pace. 

9 hours ago, sarchasm said:

For those who remember, when Shardul was leading Mumbai's attack and nowhere on national selection radar, he used to clock 140 plus often on domestic speed guns.

Still, have no doubt that his bowling, much like Ishant, is going to shine only and only when he's part of a bowling group like the current one.

He owned Australia as the leader with natrajan and saini. So he is definitely no joke. Very good bowler. Decent hitter. Cam turn the game in batting with his quick hits. Just needs  to get fitter like he was vs Aussies. He bowled 135-140. 

11 hours ago, Suhaan said:

And that is effective when you have it in variety not a monotonous attack having all hovering in 130s

Setup is as essential as bowling good lines with control

Bumrah played his part too, dismissing either is foolish

I am not dismissing anyone. Bumrah is by far the best Indian bowler, it's just that posters on ICF are too obsessed with speed. 

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Lol wasim bowled 135-145 in his prime easily. For 5 years he bowled at that pace. Only after he got diagnosed with diabetes and other issues he went down in pace. 

Wasim Bowled 140 for 5-6 years when he started then he was just a 130-138 kph bowler and still as successful as anyone. 

Please don't make up facts. 

4 minutes ago, Adamant said:

Wasim Bowled 140 for 5-6 years when he started then he was just a 130-138 kph bowler and still as successful as anyone. 

That's what I said lol? He was a 140 bowler for his first 5 years. 

Then he went down to a 133-139 level bowler. Still an ATg.

Waqar used to bowl 135-145 for the first 4 years. Then went down a lot. 130-137 ish after back injury. 

His first 4 years he averaged 17. Next 7 years he averaged 28 or 29. 

7 minutes ago, Adamant said:

I am not dismissing anyone. Bumrah is by far the best Indian bowler, it's just that posters on ICF are too obsessed with speed. 

Speed with no skill like bouncer, yorker or ability to use seam movement is useless.

The fast you ate the less you need to seam. Margin for error is very low for batsmen. That's why speed is king. Speed matters. Speed kills. Speed is king.

38 minutes ago, Adamant said:

Wasim is probably the most skillful bowler to play the game, one of at least. Most others won't get close to that benchmark. It's why even Philander is not a good benchmark for trundling, most others won't get close to that level of accuracy and skill.

17 minutes ago, rollingstoned said:

Wasim is probably the most skillful bowler to play the game, one of at least. Most others won't get close to that benchmark. It's why even Philander is not a good benchmark for trundling, most others won't get close to that level of accuracy and skill.

Philtrundler is a joke outside sena.i can't rate such bowlers. If people judge Asian bowlers based on sena metric. Same standard should apply to these sena bowlers. 

Same goes for bumrah and Cummins. Sure both are great in sena. But they both need to prove themselves in India. I know bumrah has a good ranji record but he hasn't played enough games yet in India. Cummins averages 31 in India. Let's see how he goes next time

Lot of work to do to be amongst the best of all time

17 minutes ago, rollingstoned said:

Agree.

Additionally, I would like to add that I don't know how some posters are getting Akram's speeds from ?

Speeds were not shown on TV for the first 14 years of Akram's career. (  except the odd tournament at Sharjah where Waqar, Srinath and Wasim were always the 3 quickest pacers )

And all the batsmen who have played him claim that he was one of the quickest of his era  ( after Donald and Waqar ) ...  (  Srinath was excluded as at that time an Indian fast bowler was not believable for most  )

Just now, express bowling said:

Agree.

Additionally, I would like to add that I don't know how some posters are getting Akram's speeds from ?

Speeds were not shown on TV for the first 14 years of Akram's career. (  except the odd tournament at Sharjah where Waqar, Srinath and Wasim were always the 3 quickest pacers )

And all the batsmen who have played him claim that he was one of the quickest of his era  ( after Donald and Waqar ) ...  (  Srinath was excluded as at that time an Indian fast bowler was not believable for most  )

he was bowling low 130s even in 2003. it stands to reason that he was potentially 5-6 kph faster on avg in his peak, which would make him a pacer with avg speeds in high 130s. this seems consistent with both visual evidence (.i.e., just watching matches without speed guns) as well as anecdotes

1 hour ago, Adamant said:

You seriously think posters here are obsessed with pace only?no, people here are obsessed with hostile bowling ,a 130 pacer with good bounce and intent is always welcome

People here hate only harmless Sakaria type trundlers and the oneness about a bowling attack

I really like variety with our bowling attack

11 minutes ago, Vijy said:

he was bowling low 130s even in 2003. it stands to reason that he was potentially 5-6 kph faster on avg in his peak, which would make him a pacer with avg speeds in high 130s. this seems consistent with both visual evidence (.i.e., just watching matches without speed guns) as well as anecdotes

100% wasim was 135-145 bowler for the first 5 years. After his peak, he was down to 133-138 with increased level of skill. 

12 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I saw him bowl around 136-137 in that WC

But then WC the speed guns really looked making up high speeds for pacers across teams

Just now, Suhaan said:

You seriously think posters here are obsessed with pace only?no, people here are obsessed with hostile bowling ,a 130 pacer with good bounce and intent is always welcome

People here hate only harmless Sakaria type trundlers and the oneness about a bowling attack

I really like variety with our bowling attack

Perfectly summarised. I want hostile bowlers. Just so happens to be that faster bowlers can be more hostile. I do love seam bowlers with exceptional backspin and skill to extract movement of dead pitches but you do always need a good bouncer in your arsenal. 

Do not confuse generic pace with hostile pace. Totally different ball game. Reason why bumrah is feared is because he has both. Pace and killer bouncer. Same as shami. Same as Cummins. 

You can be a trundler too for all I care, but make sure you have a damn good bouncer and the ability to move the ball via seam. Mcgrath is one. 

19 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Agree.

If we had 2 srinaths I think we would have been a top side in 90s too. Venky as first change would have been good. 2 srinaths can operate like wasim and Waqar. Oh well.