Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

8 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

Pandya bowled beautifully today . Just had great rhythm and ball coming out perfect 

as his rhythm was good he was not even trying to bowl fast . But as it was all happening prefect and rhythm was good speeds were up today . Best he is bowled since landing in sa , was genuine pace bowler today 

Pandya has been bowling fast in the last 3 ODIs ... and bowled well in 2 of them.

For most pacers, bowling quickly does make a positive difference.

Edited by express bowling
On 2/12/2018 at 10:33 AM, MCcricket said:

Pandya needs to work a bit on his action , so he can bowl fast easily n avoid injury, he bends his leg too much while delivering rather then bracing front foot, also his backfoot landing aint great, n he looses quite a bit of height at delivery, his runup needs a bit of tweak as well

I missed this post but some very good observations. Hardik should work hard on his bowling and be in the team primarily as someone who can be a fifth bowler and can slog a few. Because he loses height at delivery, he's not generating enough bounce that could trouble batsmen. Bit too easy to hit at the moment.

23 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

I missed this post but some very good observations. Hardik should work hard on his bowling and be in the team primarily as someone who can be a fifth bowler and can slog a few. Because he loses height at delivery, he's not generating enough bounce that could trouble batsmen. Bit too easy to hit at the moment.

Its the pace that generates bounce, not just height. Donald and Brett Lee had very low delivery stride. I had posted it before too. Credit for pointing this out goes to ian pont.

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

Its the pace that generates bounce, not just height. Donald and Brett Lee had very low delivery stride. I had posted it before too. Credit for pointing this out goes to ian pont.

Wonder why Glenn Mcgrath bowling at 133k's had more bounce than Aaron bowling at 150! 

To cut things short, that statement of yours is not correct. Its pretty vague. Theres a lot involved than pace. A bowler who wants bounce obviously is going to use his action for bounce, especially the last movement, which is wrist. Or he could use the whole of the lattisimus dorsi with the extension of hand to generate bounce, however the deliveries will not be express. 

I think a correct statement would be a bowler uses his action to generate bounce and bounce is not dependent solely on height of the bowler. 

34 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Wonder why Glenn Mcgrath bowling at 133k's had more bounce than Aaron bowling at 150! 

To cut things short, that statement of yours is not correct. Its pretty vague. Theres a lot involved than pace. A bowler who wants bounce obviously is going to use his action for bounce, especially the last movement, which is wrist. Or he could use the whole of the lattisimus dorsi with the extension of hand to generate bounce, however the deliveries will not be express. 

I think a correct statement would be a bowler uses his action to generate bounce and bounce is not dependent solely on height of the bowler. 

i think you did not read the full sentence. there is something more after what you bolded. i did not say pace alone. i said pace gets you bounce not just height. 133 is good enough pace to get bounce, but higher pace is even better.  yes, a tall bowler like Mcgrath will get bounce from less shorter trajectory than a short bowler.  this is the positioning at the delivery stride a fast bowler should collapsed back leg, braced front leg. Look at how low they are in the stride.

DTlH0QmXkAYmeJT.jpg

DTlH1MyX0AAKKFO (1).jpg

Edited by rkt.india

There are many factors which help generate extra bounce.

Every other factor remaining same, a  faster bowler gets more bounce.

I think what Pont has said is ... if a pacer designs his action to generate more pace ,  at the cost of lowering the point of release ... he still gets bounce and it is the pace which generates the bounce.

Edited by express bowling
26 minutes ago, express bowling said:

There are many factors which help generate extra bounce.

Everything other factor remaining same, a  faster bowler gets more bounce.

I think what Pont has said is ... if a pacer designs his action to generate more pace ,  at the cost of lowering the point of release ... he still gets bounce and it is the pace which generates the bounce.

There have been a lot of tall bowlers who got bounce due to height but McGrath's strength was not just bounce but accuracy.  Harmison was quicker and got more bounce than him at around the same height but was not accurate enough. Harmison was '4, MacGrath 6'5" 

Edited by rkt.india
11 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Taller bowlers with a short extension at the crease will generate more bounce than a shorter bowler with the sane extension won't they? 

1 hour ago, Rightarmfast said:

Shardul mostly 133ish and fastest at 140. Bumrah clocked 145. The SA commentators were saying they were pretty impressed by Bumrahs pace coz he was consistently bowling above 140.

How did Shardul bowl? 

Edited by Mosher