Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

Sangwan has few things going for him,he is fit and athletic, bowls heavy ball, has a good short ball, bowls well when he attacks the stump n body but not that well when he slants the ball across, most importantly can he bring one back, but to me he is worth trying in ODI and A tours, also has some talent with the bat, for one who is young he has a lot of experience, I see him , Aniket, Sran as good left arm prospects still hope Suyal gets to play regularly as he has better action n good pace and reminds me of Zak.

14 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

If i were to rate the fastest bowlers of the 90s based on their stock balls, it'd be:

1. Shoaib

2. Brett Lee

3. Brett Schultz

4. Waqar Younis (pre 95)

5. Devon Malcolm

6. Javagal Srinath

7. Alan Donald

8. Darren Gough

9. Jason Gillespie

10. Franklyn Rose

Shoaib was not faster than Bret Lee on average. Bret Lee could bowl 145-155 for whole spell. I never saw speed guns of many others you mentioned.

This is the advantage of zonal cricket

We have so many quick and quickish  bowlers  playing and batsmen are being tested against good pace

Also, we get to see which of the quick pacers are better as bowlers 

NZ -  Sangwan

CZ - Aniket, Ankit .....  Nathu missing out

SZ -  Thampi, Warrier ....  Siraj missing out

WZ - Shardul,  I. Chowhuri

EZ  - Ghosh ....  Aaron, Shukla missing out

Edited by express bowling
6 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Srinath was at his fastest from 95-97, Waqar from 90-94. Yea, I am guessing here, but it is 'also a guess' to say Prasad was slower than Akram. 

IMO, from what I've seen and what Batsmen say, Waqar is generally rated as one of the fastest of all-time before his stress fractures.

Another two, who merits conversation in the fastest of all-time is Holding & Marshall : Plenty of batsmen have rated them the fastest day in, day out, on basis of stock ball bowling and especially Holding, Boycott is decisive in his statement that Holding, through the whole day, was the fastest of them all. This probably has some merit, given that Holding had one of the smoothest, mechanically correct action of them all and the guy was a hell of a runner- he was 3-4 spots behind for Jamaican Olympic 400m team, which means he is faster runner than practically any sportsman in history of India. 

Plenty of batsmen also used to rate Mcgrath as genuine quick before speed gun was used widely. We all know how that turned out to be. 

There goes your argument to dust! 

Take care

1 hour ago, Rightarmfast said:

Plenty of batsmen also used to rate Mcgrath as genuine quick before speed gun was used widely. We all know how that turned out to be. 

There goes your argument to dust! 

Take care

When speed guns were used in the 1999 series in WI, McGrath was bowling consistently at 140 kph. That whole legendary innings of 153* by Lara, McGrath was bowling at 140-141 the whole time. So i don't see what the issue is, McGrath did bowl fast plenty of times when the situation demanded it.

Mgrath was fast medium for most of his career, not even fast, he used to bowl occasionally around 138 to 141 max, his ave pace was around 136 k.

Shami is listed as F/M is intact quicker now, he bowls around 138 to 139 on ave now and fastest about 145 k.

Shaun Tait n Shoaib fastest bowlers on ave

Next Brett Lee

Waqar was not as fast but with the slingy action and skiddy nature plus reverse he to batters seemed pacier then he was

Srinath around Umesh n Aaron's pace did bowl fast earlier but without brains 70% of his career he bowled too short n missed out on wkts while looking good

Shami, Umesh, Aaron, Ishant, Pandya are the quickest bowlers we ever had as a group by a large margin. Now given right opportunities as well as giving chance to younger pacers n develop a culture n as we have a steady chain of mature batters we can have bowlers in the same way once the wheel is set in motion n this was started by Ganguly but was damaged during Dhonis captaincy.

Also India needs to start picking young promising Spinners and stop relying on Mishra and we need to develop spinners as we now have just two Ashwin n Jadeja n a good leggie will be a big boost away tours

9 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

When speed guns were used in the 1999 series in WI, McGrath was bowling consistently at 140 kph. That whole legendary innings of 153* by Lara, McGrath was bowling at 140-141 the whole time. So i don't see what the issue is, McGrath did bowl fast plenty of times when the situation demanded it.

Thanks, then please tell me what pace was javagal Srinath bowling in 99WC and Waqar younis in that world cup?

Excellent spells of genuine fast bowling by Ishant Sharma today.  He bowled in the range of 135 k to 143 k with average speeds of close to 139 k . After his first spell of the 1st innings, we saw Ishant get into good rhythm and combining accuracy with pace and bounce. This continued in the 2nd innings too. We also saw him reverse the ball both ways, getting some seam movement and punctuating them with with some nasty bouncers. He got a wicket from one of those and hit the batsmen a few times too. He showed a big heart on a flat pitch and his consistent line and length was very heartening to see.

He picked up 2 wickets and should have picked up 2 more as a plumb LBW was unfairly turned down ( no reviews left ) and an easy catch dropped at slips.

Really good to see both Ishant and Umesh come up with special spells on a very flat deck in either innings of this test match. Most commentators were repeatedly praising the efforts of these two fast bowlers on such a flat track.

Edited by express bowling