Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

Just now, Vijy said:

it was not 1999 WC. and srinath's avg speed was more than ishant, umesh at their peak.

Nope. Srinath was not faster than Shami on an average speed  leave alone Ishant or Umesh.

We look ant old players with nostalgia.

Srinath looked quicker because of the other trundlers he played along with. Having said that he was no trundler and maybe had those express spells but overall on an average he was not that fast.

we have to really appreciate that 2011-2017 batch as the golden generation where we had 5 bowlers capable of 145+ and all playing at the same time- Ishant, Shami, Aaron, Umesh and Bumrah.

No past Indian bowler is close to their average speed. Agarkar was faster than Srinath on an average but still slower than those names.

Nowadays we see so many 140 bowlers in IPL etc that we don’t appreciate these  guys enough.

It’s an insult to Srinath himself and also the effort put by BCCI, MRF academy and coaches at a ground level to get us to this stage.  No I disagree that Srinath was faster than any of the fast bowlers i mentioned. May be an off speed gun error that’s about it but as someone who watched cricket from the 90’s I don’t buy this that Srinath was faster.

3 minutes ago, maniac said:

Nope. Srinath was not faster than Shami on an average speed  leave alone Ishant or Umesh.

Srinath looked quicker because of the other trundlers he played along with. Having said that he was no trundler and maybe had those express spells but overall on an average he was not that fast.

we have to really appreciate that 2011-2017 batch as the golden generation where we had 5 bowlers capable of 145+ and all playing at the same time- Ishant, Shami, Aaron, Umesh and Bumrah.

No past Indian bowler is close to their average speed. Agarkar was faster than Srinath on an average but still slower than those names.

Nowadays we see so many 140 bowlers in IPL etc that we don’t appreciate these  guys enough.

It’s an insult to Srinath himself and also the effort put by BCCI, MRF academy and coaches at a ground level to get us to this stage.  No I disagree that Srinath was faster than any of the fast bowlers i mentioned. May be an off speed gun error that’s about it but as someone who watched cricket from the 90’s I don’t buy this that Srinath was faster.

Srinath was the second fastest bowler after Akhtar in 99 WC.

2 minutes ago, maniac said:

you don't have to buy it if you don't want to. there is evidence to the contrary. he was faster than shami and ishant, and on par with umesh in early-mid 90s. I would not say he was faster than peak aaron and umran because I think aaron was slightly faster than umesh.

it's not about nostalgia tinted glasses as well. plenty of your "claims" in this post are specious - (a) that I/we don't appreciate current gen enough; (b) agarkar being faster than srinath, (c) no past ind bowler is close to their avg speed.

I won't be debating this with you further. this kind of "argument" can never be refuted because you have very clear preconceived notions. to be fair, so do I, and they are incompatible with yours.

Just now, Vijy said:

you don't have to buy it if you don't want to. there is evidence to the contrary. he was faster than shami and ishant, and on par with umesh in early-mid 90s. I would not say he was faster than peak aaron and umran because I think aaron was slightly faster than umesh.

it's not about nostalgia tinted glasses as well. plenty of your "claims" in this post are specious - (a) that I/we don't appreciate current gen enough; (b) agarkar being faster than srinath, (c) no past ind bowler is close to their avg speed.

I won't be debating this with you further. this kind of "argument" can never be refuted because you have very clear preconceived notions. to be fair, so do I, and they are incompatible with yours.

fair enough let’s agree to disagree :nice:

Also Great unplayable spells are always not express. Srinath was under appreciated at that time by world commentators but I feel we compensate that by overrating him.

Just like with Waqar Younis who is a different case but I feel both Waqar and Srinath became world class allround bowlers only at the end of their careers. They last 2-3 yrs when they figured it out. That’s my takeaway from watching all of their careers give or take except May be the first 2 yrs of Waqar.

Just now, Suhaan said:

@rkt.india
 You posted a video of Mavi bowling in 150s recently clocked in handgun

And it looked as if an achievement for the whole gang there

It was good to see him really valuing pace ,what has happened here

He didn't look even remotely close to 140s today

Has he decided to trundle forever?

uncle booba, uncle harshal, uncle undercutter, uncle shardul, and uncle deepak showing mavi the true path. the One truth path of the trundler