It's time Ishant gets the respect he deserves(Intl. edition)

maniac

The only time Aaron looked like troubling the batsmen is when he bowled bouncers. The wickets of Watson was pure laziness on Watson's part. The Mitchell Marsh one was a good ball though. Just compare Ishant's opening spell with Varun Aaron's opening spell. I think you severely underestimate the value of holding down one end. One of the main reasons that Johnson was so effective last year was Ryan Harris was so consistent at the other end. I am in no way comparing Ishant to Ryan Harris but there is most definitely value in having someone do what Ishant did yesterday. In fact, if Shami bowled with Ishant's accuracy in his opening spell (and bowled over the wicket), he might have picked up a couple of early wickets because he was definitely swinging the ball.
Harris was not just holding one end. He was taking wickets for himself consistently that too mostly top order wickets. Ishant bowled accurately but it was not penetrative to take wickets. If Watson's wicket was laziness then Rogers was same too. Warner was hitting similar deliveries for boundaries. If he was so good, why did not get the wicket of Warner who was the main reason of our misery. Akram rightly said, Andhon me kana raja. They are all are beyond hopeless on pitches like these.
Harris was not just holding one end. He was taking wickets for himself consistently that too mostly top order wickets. Ishant bowled accurately but it was not penetrative to take wickets. If Watson's wicket was laziness then Rogers was same too. Warner was hitting similar deliveries for boundaries. If he was so good' date=' why did not get the wicket of Warner who was the main reason of our misery. Akram rightly said, Andhon me kana raja. They are all are beyond hopeless on pitches like these.[/quote'] Pressure is built from both ends. The best teams take wickets in bowling partnerships and it's not always the case that the bowler that built up the pressure gets the wicket. In the case of Ishant getting Rogers. Ishant just bowled a maiden over to Warner (after Warner had smashed Aaron for 23 runs in 2 overs btw). Then to Rogers he worked the angle well. He bowled short of a length outside off for a few balls (including a leading edge) and pushed Rogers on the back foot. He then followed it up with a fuller ball moving away from the batsman. You can even see Rogers advancing forward as the ball was bowled (because he was keen to score). It's not always a wicket taking ball but my point was Ishant built that pressure up by tying the runs down first and actually bowling in one spot for more than six balls. In contrast, Aaron to Watson. He bowled a short one that was whipped to mid-wicket. Then he bowled a full one that was driven to cover. Then he bowled a short wide one which Watson tried to slice. The difference is that there was at least some build up to Rogers wicket, whilst Watson's was just out of the blue in the middle of some ordinary bowling.
Then he bowled a short wide one which Watson tried to slice.
That was not a short delivery. It was short of length.
The difference is that there was at least some build up to Rogers wicket, whilst Watson's was just out of the blue in the middle of some ordinary bowling.
Yes, this is why genuine quicks are picked for. They can give you breakthroughs out of the blue. Listen what Dravid said during lunch yesterday. He said pace bothers every batsman whether ball is doing something or not. It can induce false shots. Such bowlers are not going to give you great control. You have other bowlers to do that likes of Ishant and BK who was injured unfortunately. I would not write him off already.
That was not a short delivery. It was short of length. Yes, this is why genuine quicks are picked for. They can give you breakthroughs out of the blue. Listen what Dravid said during lunch yesterday. He said pace bothers every batsman whether ball is doing something or not. It can induce false shots. Such bowlers are not going to give you great control. You have other bowlers to do that likes of Ishant and BK who was injured unfortunately. I would not write him off already.
If that is your argument, then I agree with that. Pace can give you some wickets that other bowlers can't get. But my point is that Ishant at least gave himself a chance to get wickets by building up pressure with accurate bowling.

I'm not giving up on Aaron, but I think he needs to improve his accuracy a lot and learn to build up pressure. The difference between Johnson in 2010/11 vs Johnson in 2013/14 is predominantly accuracy. His pace is not drastically different, he doesn't swing the ball regularly. I feel like Aaron is bowling like Johnson did in 2010/11.

Aaron was more accurate in England.
Aaron needs that breakout spell where he picks upatleast 4 wickets...bowling phaaaast and picking 1-2 wickets won't help....This is where I have rated Umesh a lot more,Seems to have the knack of picking up wickets and a legit wicket taker at the test level. How he has fallen off from being in the starting line up after England's tour of India in 2013 is still beyond me
Aaron needs that breakout spell where he picks upatleast 4 wickets...bowling phaaaast and picking 1-2 wickets won't help....This is where I have rated Umesh a lot more,Seems to have the knack of picking up wickets and a legit wicket taker at the test level. How he has fallen off from being in the starting line up after England's tour of India in 2013 is still beyond me
Agree. He did have a 3 wicket spell in Emgland, 3/48 which he couldnt convert into a 5-fer.

The main objective of the bowling unit in tests is to pick up 20 wickets. The secondary objective is to control runs so that the opposition cannot run away with the game. A side objective is to soften the opposition with pace and bounce, to get psychological advantage, stop definitive movement of batsmen's feet etc. in order to get wickets. A pacer who is accurate but Lacks pace or steep bounce OR Lacks consistent movement Won't be a wicket taker in tests. That is why , I guess , inaccurate but quicker pacers are picked. Because our domestic cricket lacks accurate quicker pacers or accurate pacers with consistent movement. I guess the main issue is - how more and more ....quicker and accurate pacers can be developed.

I like Sharma's attitude. He works hard and has improved in recent times.
Ishant has improved from the NZ tour. Bowling good areas, far more consistent than before and better wrist position/ release. He had a foot operation last year. Before that, he was bowling 135 to 145 k. Now he is bowling 130 to 140 k. If he can bowl at his old pace without losing control then he can be a handful with his 6'5" frame.
Ishant has improved from the NZ tour. Bowling good areas' date=' far more consistent than before and better wrist position/ release. He had a foot operation last year. Before that, he was bowling 135 to 145 k. Now he is bowling 130 to 140 k. If he can bowl at his old pace without losing control then he can be a handful with his 6'5" frame.[/quote'] Nah this pace is enough he just needs to continue doing what he has done and keep things simple ...

Bump. 4 wickets in the first innings.

People go crazy for Shami and Bumrah if they pick a wicket. Yadav escapes the heat plenty of times even though he unfairly gets criticized as well  but this guy never gets credit when he does well and is a whipping boy when the team collectively sucks.

Its about time to give him the respect he deserves

Edited by Global.Baba

Yep, respect for not being spraygun, for fighting to be the 5th best seamer among 7 playing the game, for getting batsmen caught at third man or hoick over slips, for giving away the initiative whether it comes to the openers or the tail. Freaking Yadav did better than him on day 2 and then he wakes up to get 10 & 11. What an achievement after more than a decade, worthy of recognition :facepalm:

Just look at how Cummins bowls to Kohli or Hazlewood got Vihari. Can't believe this guy has supporters asking for credit in this game.