Dhoni has retired from Test Cricket with immediate effect

Gambit

Probably a collective decision, and MSD had an opinion The injury after Lord's test point is rubbish... Why talk about an injury that didnt happen? It's like asking what would you do now if Kohli broke a leg in a car accident while driving near Sydney on the eve of the fourth test. You always have some things planned, and some that are instant decisions based on the situation
Collective decision of whom. I dont see why MS should have any role in who and when someone should become captain after him. How is this decision a planned one, he simply quit midway thru the tour throwing his hands up. The point of Lords test was about sports, this is sports as in life things change in an instant ,so saying he waited for right opportunity when Kohli was in right frame is utterly ridiculous so what would happened if Kohli failed on this tour too he would have continued as captain. Kohli was vice captain then also like he was till Dhoni decided to quit. Dhoni's job was to make sure he was good enough to be captain and player in Indian team, it is neither his job nor his responsibility to decide who is ready to take his role after he is done.
Collective decision of whom. I dont see why MS should have any role in who and when someone should become captain after him. Dhoni's job was to make sure he was good enough to be captain and player in Indian team, it is neither his job nor his responsibility to decide who is ready to take his role after he is done.
Collective decision of selectors and senior members of the team. Who made Dhoni captain in the first place? It came from recommendations made by senior cricketers - Sachin, Rahul and others
Collective decision of selectors and senior members of the team. Who made Dhoni captain in the first place? It came from recommendations made by senior cricketers - Sachin' date=' Rahul and others[/quote'] Those recommendations came when he was appointed as captain, I really doubt any sane cricketer would have recommended him to continue as captain after 0-7 itself. As former Captain Ganguly said after 0-8 fiasco , the main question should be is MS good enough to a part of the team let alone be the captain this was three years ago. As I said earlier Dhoni's biggest trump card was failures of other contenders and that is a lousy way to pick a captain of national team.
I think it is a face saving desicion in a lot of ways....Had Dhoni quit after the 4th test' date='people would say he was dropped even if it was a conscious desicion....so quitting after the 3rd test made perfect sense from DHoni's POV.[/quote'] Probably, makes sense... For me, the biggest positive from the late decision of stepping down (despite people asking for his head for the last 18 months) is that this has kept Gambhir and Sehwag out of the test squad, and led to the birth of Murali Vijay, the reliable overseas opener.
As I said earlier Dhoni's biggest trump card was failures of other contenders and that is a lousy way to pick a captain of national team.
As I said earlier, and in my previous post, I have a sigh of relief that they didn't decide to sack Dhoni and put Gambhir in as test captain for the lack of an alternative...
I think it is a face saving desicion in a lot of ways....Had Dhoni quit after the 4th test' date='people would say he was dropped even if it was a conscious desicion....so quitting after the 3rd test made perfect sense from DHoni's POV.[/quote'] Or he would have continued in the home season and got couple of series win and retired in grand way Do u really think Selectors would sack after the Aus tests.If he wins the next home series everyone would have forgot the loss in Aus including Media Its rare to see a influential indian cricketer retiring on his own terms. Ganguly was fighting a media war to get back into the team.
Or he would have continued in the home season and got couple of series win and retired in grand way Do u really think Selectors would sack after the Aus tests.If he wins the next home series everyone would have forgot the loss in Aus including Media Its rare to see a influential indian cricketer retiring on his own terms. Ganguly was fighting a media war to get back into the team.
Yeah....its all about winning at home. Continue to be whitewashed away from home, come back and beat Sri Lanka or West Indies and his Kaptaani is saved - that's how Dhoni had been living for the last 4 years and that's why Indian test team is about to become number 7 in the world.

Now that he has retired i assume we will start bowling well, clean up tail of opposition in 10overs/under 50 runs, keeper will score over 35, opening problem will be solved, wont see batting collapse, hang onto our catches, keeper will be seen flying like superman and pulling catches out of thin air ?

Yeah....its all about winning at home. Continue to be whitewashed away from home' date=' come back and beat Sri Lanka or West Indies and his Kaptaani is saved - that's how Dhoni had been living for the last 4 years and that's why Indian test team is about to become number 7 in the world.[/quote'] Dhoni won more overseas series than most Indian captains. How many test series outside Asia did Ganguly win?
Now that he has retired i assume we will start bowling well' date=' clean up tail of opposition in 10overs/under 50 runs, keeper will score over 35, opening problem will be solved, wont see batting collapse, hang onto our catches, keeper will be seen flying like superman and pulling catches out of thin air ?[/quote'] Other team doesnt have tail.
The Great selfless cricketer :hatsoff:.Easily could have stayed for 2 more years with the home tests we have .Not clinging on for some home series wins before retiring . Think would have retired after the england series itself if not for the horrible form of Kohli
++ :hatsoff: