And in the mean time, Badrinath ...

Brainfade

btw' date=' is it India A or India-U19 that's touring SA ?[/quote'] Looks like you've not read about the decisions taken at BCCI meeting. Here is the article. 4) WV Raman to coach India ‘A’ team on the tour to South Africa next month. Implication: This fills the position left vacant following Robin Singh’s appointment as fielding coach of the national side. This was the news I was referring to.

Why? What is wrong in having him as the A tour coach. He coaches a Ranji team and this experience will be a new shot in his arm? Why are you people so surprised to see him as a coach? PS: South Africa A team GH Bodi, keeper.gifMN van Wyk, AN Petersen, captain.gifND McKenzie, JP Duminy, JL Ontong, VD Philander, J Botha, M Zondeki, CK Langeveldt, F de Wet This is the South Africa team which is taking on WI at the moment. But it'll serve no purpose to us if the same team is chosen when our A team tours there.

But it'll serve no purpose to us if the same team is chosen when our A team tours there.
What do you mean? Regarding W V Raman as coach, as I said above, to me he seemed someone with more natural flair than acquired skills. But, anyway he might be a good thinker of the game and turn out to be a better than average coach.
On 12/18/2007 at 1:17 AM, sarchasm said:

its sad...and age's catching up fast on badri as well. i presume selectors will keep an eye on the likes of rohit sharma and manoj tiwary.

On 12/18/2007 at 8:20 AM, Brainfade said:
Well he is 27 ... that is by no means old ... especially for Test cricket. People have said stuff like the attacks are poor and the pitches are flat, which are all true, but you can only score against the opposition you play. He does deserve a chance in the near future. Outside the current sqaud, he should be the next middle order batsman in line.

27 is old by Indian selectors' standards. Players like Hussey have started their international careers at an older age, but that does not work for our selectors. The next-in-line middle order bats are Rohit Sharma and Manoj Tiwary. Mark it down - Badrinath's only opportunity came when he was picked for the ODI 14 and then sent back. He will be an afterthought from this point onwards. I hope to heck I am wrong, though.

Selectors were tough on Badri?

On 12/18/2007 at 9:50 AM, bharat297 said:
27 is old by Indian selectors' standards. Players like Hussey have started their international careers at an older age, but that does not work for our selectors. The next-in-line middle order bats are Rohit Sharma and Manoj Tiwary. Mark it down - Badrinath's only opportunity came when he was picked for the ODI 14 and then sent back. He will be an afterthought from this point onwards. I hope to heck I am wrong, though.

I think thats part of the problem. The selectors are too keen on selecting players that are 18-21 , who have not gained enough experience before International level. Look at the hit-list of players we have destroyed ... * Irfan Pathan * Parthiv Patel * Vinod Kambli * Dinesh Karthik * Suresh Raina All these players were just rising stars and were thrust into the international scene very early. They started off well, then struggled to cope with the rigours in the long run, lost their confidence and were sent back to domestic cricket to gain the experience which they should have had in the first place before being picked. Tiwary and Sharma are both good players, but have no where near enough experience at domestic and first-class level (particularly outside India) that they need before being picked. I think you are right though that Tiwary will be the next in line (Badrinath deserves it more) , but I see him heading down the route of the above 5 (I hope I am wrong), as he does not have enough experience.

9 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

Selectors were tough on Badri?

Why are you digging all these threads... 

Badri piled on runs and hence Dhoni wanted him in the side. 

Vengsarkar could recognize that Badri was not international quality and hence wanted to drop him. 

Srini Mama who was a bullying political BCCI head wanted to have Badri in ( probably because of being TN player even if he is not  a CSK player) stating that he had great stats etc. etc. 

Vengsarkar was dropped and another Tamilian Srikanth became selector and had Badri in the Indian side.

Badri being Badri did not live upto international standard and eventually dropped..

Here ended the story.>>> What is the use of digging everything now. Vengsarkar might be feeling bitter that he lost his job then unfairly. He atleast had some point (or some complaint about his life etc.). What do you and me have at stake..... to bring up everything again.....

8 minutes ago, Vilander said:

oh really..

lol how does he do that ?

Well, that's why he is Indian team selector and not just a fan like us. He would have seen the telecast of matches, analyzed what his technique is and because he himself (i.e. Dileep) is an international class batsman, he knows( or has a gut feeling) whether that batsman ( in this case, Badrinath ) is international class or not. 

I am not necessarily saying Dileep's judgement is correct/accurate but he as a selector is within his rights to believe that blooding a youngster such as Kohli is more beneficial than Badrinath. That is his decision to make/not make. He could go wrong but that is a different issue altogether. It is what he thought is right decision from his analysis/judgement. 

10 minutes ago, Vilander said:

and what was Badri ? 

3 innings in 2 tests with 1 fighting fifty was enough to discard him lol :) 

That is not when Dileep is the selector. There can be tons of reasons why a batsman can be dropped right after. Even some people in ICF were baying for his blood. 

And I would not have minded him getting more chances. He did not get them. And that is where it ended. Badrinath should dig these facts if at all he felt he is deserving and was not given enough rope. 

Why would we blame Dileep for this>>>> His judgement is effective limited to the time of his being chief selector. When Kris Srikanth has taken over, he probably found in consultation with MSD that Badrinath is not good enough. That's where the story ends. 

7 hours ago, sarcastic said:

Well, that's why he is Indian team selector and not just a fan like us. He would have seen the telecast of matches, analyzed what his technique is and because he himself (i.e. Dileep) is an international class batsman, he knows( or has a gut feeling) whether that batsman ( in this case, Badrinath ) is international class or not. 

I am not necessarily saying Dileep's judgement is correct/accurate but he as a selector is within his rights to believe that blooding a youngster such as Kohli is more beneficial than Badrinath. That is his decision to make/not make. He could go wrong but that is a different issue altogether. It is what he thought is right decision from his analysis/judgement. 

He did not know that before selecting badri no one would. He is giving crap after the fact now to get back at srini and throwing badri under the bus. Its pathetic.

I would say he was unlucky not to get proper chance in test but it could also be said that he was unlucky in a way because we had Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman in our top-middle order and then Pujara had those triple centuries too where e sneaked past every domestic cricketer. 

Badrinath did get his chance when players started leaving but I don’t think 2 matches were enough. Test matches was his main format I feel and not ODI’s and I fee he could have been given a little longer run.

Top Ranji player though who served Indian domestic cricket well. Such players only make bowlers work harder and I am sure if one talks to top Indian domestic bowlers from those years, they would say how hard they had to work to get guy like him out.

11 hours ago, sarcastic said:

Vengsarkar could recognize that Badri was not international quality and hence wanted to drop him. 

Srini Mama who was a bullying political BCCI head wanted to have Badri in ( probably because of being TN player even if he is not  a CSK player) stating that he had great stats etc. etc. 

Vengsarkar was dropped and another Tamilian Srikanth became selector and had Badri in the Indian side.

Badri being Badri did not live upto international standard and eventually dropped..

Here ended the story.>>> What is the use of digging everything now. Vengsarkar might be feeling bitter that he lost his job then unfairly. He atleast had some point (or some complaint about his life etc.). What do you and me have at stake..... to bring up everything again.....

no, two tests are certainly not enough to judge any player.

11 hours ago, sarcastic said:

Doubt you have seen the vinod kambli or ajit agarkar threads

Badri was another overhyped player on icf it seems, quite similar to thakur. The ICFers seem to be too easily impressed by a good run of form, I had never seen thakur bowl but reading posts about him here I thought he was a future bowling superstar, lol that was way off the mark :giggle:

Btw scoring runs and taking wickets is no criteria to judge a player's potential, if only stats were required to pick a player then anyone could be a selector. The range of shots a player has, the technique etc are way more important than just raw stats while judging a player, even pathetic players like vinay kumar are able to pile up great stats in domestics

Edited by kira

I have never seen Vengy canvass for Kohli as much as he is now lol That is what makes his claim suspicious. Kohli was not even in the picture for selection in Tests. It was never between Kohli and Badri. It was between Badri and other players. Nobody ever complained about Dhoni not picking Kohli. After he was dropped after his first stint Kohli admitted he was rightfully dropped. He went back to nets. Worked hard. He became a better player.  Not once i feel Kohli was given wrong end of the stick. Just look at KL Rahul now. We can obviously see how he is repeatedly getting sidelined.  Rohit sharma plays Tests,  Rahane plays ODIs. But KL Rahul plays nothing despite scoring 8 fifties in a row in Tests, despite being in top 10 ranking in the one dayers. At no point Kohli went through such a treatment. By that time Kohli was ready for Tests, Badri had already left the scene.