Best t20 innings of all time

Ranjha

It was more of a psychological thing. At that time it was just the third edition of WT20 and everyone was like it was just a matter of time they would win WT20. And no one knew they could lose an ICC tournament finals up to that point (They'd just won 2009 Champions Trophy).

And, they did an almost impossible task in the semis. So the momentum was with them and everyone was picking them to be the winner. But Kieswetter just shut them down mercilessly from the fourth over onwards.

People might tend to give more importance to the match winning innings from losing or difficult position. But the innings which never allowed the match to go out of their hand from the beginning, are no lesser.

Here is the thing.  With Kieswetter there may be a case of being unprepared and he got his very lucky day like collis king in WC final . With Kohli you can be prepared.  He can give you ample notice that he is going to hunt you down, and you still cannot stop him. He has hunted down many totals in recent times. Even against Ozzies he did in Australia. He is becoming like how Gilly in the one dayers. He shows up in clutch ODI matches like world cup finals.

Aus 4-1 in ODI s against India and lost 3-0 in T20s in same condition ,this shows how this format is totally different

Sent from my HM NOTE 1LTE using Tapatalk

Of course they are mediocre now in T20s. I was talking about the time at the beginning of 2010 WT20 Finals.

Here is the thing.  With Kieswetter there may be a case of being unprepared and he got his very lucky day like collis king in WC final . With Kohli you can be prepared.  He can give you ample notice that he is going to hunt you down, and you still cannot stop him. He has hunted down many totals in recent times. Even against Ozzies he did in Australia. He is becoming like how Gilly in the one dayers. He shows up in clutch ODI matches like world cup finals.

Agree, and I haven't claimed Kieswetter's was better than Kohli's innings. I said it was right among the best WT20 innings.

And I rate Kohli's 2014 WT20 semi final innings against SA also very highly. Cold and calculated chase of highest order.

Don't know where it would rank but this definitely got me excited and made me proud for being an Ind cricket fan 

And I m sure, Aus would be having nightmares about Mohali for a long time. Not many players can do that to Australia

:hatsoff:

Exchange Samuels & Hussey...

I would put Hussey ahead as Hussey had to get 60 in 24 deliveries against likes of Ajmal and Amir. Samuel OTOH was batting first so had the luxury of not having the pressure to reach a specific target. Both were special knocks but what Hussey pulled off was out of the world.

Ask the question in 10 years time and people will pick Hussey's innings first. Kohli has some monumental innings under his belt. However when the dust has settled and when people get their head out of his rear-end they'll realise the quality of bowling and the huge asking rate that Hussey had just puts his innings above anything else we've seen in the international T20 game.

Edited by bones

I would put Hussey ahead as Hussey had to get 60 in 24 deliveries against likes of Ajmal and Amir. Samuel OTOH was batting first so had the luxury of not having the pressure to reach a specific target. Both were special knocks but what Hussey pulled off was out of the world.

Hussey batted in a flat pitch where Pakistan scored 190+ :))

Samuels knock is special because he scored 58% of his teams total [33% of whole match] + even SL barely touched 100 in reply.

Husseys knock was great but remember 

3 of his sixes came from Ajmal long hops, was windy that day and Ajmal couldn't land them where he wanted 

Pakistan did their part by fielding poorly to hussey (at least twice converting single into boundaries)

as said earlier flat pitch with 190+ reached twice and multiple batsmen getting scores 

8 hours ago, bulbul said:

Hussey batted in a flat pitch where Pakistan scored 190+ :))

Samuels knock is special because he scored 58% of his teams total [33% of whole match] + even SL barely touched 100 in reply.

That's true but when Hussey came in the RRR was touching 17! IIRC the last three overs Aus had to score 59 to win and they had to do so against Amir and Ajmal (with his original chucking action)! No matter how flat the pitch, scoring 59 in the last 3 overs in a knockout game is something else. Hussey had to get all those runs and didn't have the luxury of Aus only scoring say 55 instead of 59. Samuels OTOH wasn't chasing so didn't have the pressure of reaching a specific target. WI could've reached 136 or 135 and his innings would've still been rated the same. For Hussey it was 59 in three overs or bust.

10 hours ago, bones said:

Ask the question in 10 years time and people will pick Hussey's innings first. Kohli has some monumental innings under his belt. However when the dust has settled and when people get their head out of his rear-end they'll realise the quality of bowling and the huge asking rate that Hussey had just puts his innings above anything else we've seen in the international T20 game.

No. This is like Tendulkar's desert storm in the one dayers. This is an innings that can be used as a text book for chasing. It had all the ingredients. When Tendulkar made 82 in 49 balls in NZ  we were stunned. That was some power hitting. Kohli has made 82 in 51 balls. But this looks much meeker compared to that 82 in 49. That is why this is a dangerous knock. Work of a stone cold assassin.  Top 3 down. Disabled Yuvi, do or die game against a tough opponent.  Hussey had to smack couple of fours of one over from Aamir. Bowling Ajmal in 18th over and 20th over.. was a recipe for disaster. Even Yuvraj smacked him for 3 consecutive sixes in the 19th over once.  Hussey had only one option. To throw caution to the winds. But Kohli did not have that luxury until the very end.