What is Ishant Sharma's role in the team?

Texan

Surprisingly No body is pointing out murli vijays failure once being called as technically best bat in india by some Aussie I don't remember the name.. Is this the technique he has??? A good technique is defied on tough trancks .. Scoring 2 and 10?? The hack is a flat track bully and ishant sharma of batting riding high on past glory's we should quickly find another opener as fast as possible

On 24/02/2017 at 5:42 PM, rkt.india said:

He is averaging 47 since May 2011 at home taking 23 wickets in 15 tests.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/236779.html?class=1;home_or_away=1;spanmin1=25+May+2011;spanval1=span;template=results;type=allround

Before that, he averaged 28 in 13 tests taking 46 wickets.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/236779.html?class=1;home_or_away=1;spanmax1=23+Feb+2011;spanval1=span;template=results;type=allround

He started doing relatively well overseas but went down hill at home. Cannot believe this is the same bowler who got MOS in 2008 against an Australian side loaded with great batsmen. Despite having all the physical attributes, he still cannot hit that right length like Hazelwood does.

He is the same outside or inside.He has very good NZ tour but that was three years ago. Don't show me his averages since then since I am not going to give any importance to it without taking into account his strike rate and wicket tally. Ishant is the bowler who bowls some offstump nonsense which neither bothers batsman nor he is interested scoring runs of them.His only other speciality is good short balls. He wastes overs to be honest. Against West Indies surely he bowled 'good' but again wickets aren't much. 7 innings 8 wickets I think? His average would still be good. But like I said for a bowler like him average wouldnt be a good metric.Its time we look at other options even if they are not ready.

On 23/02/2017 at 9:31 PM, BCCI said:

Firstly I must say I respect your views on cricket,you seem to know your cricket but can you justify what you said above?I mean Ishant's average has got nothing to do with cricket played in the last decade.This guy has just been lucky to be amongst a pack of ordinary bowlers for long time but thankfully now times are changing with younger seamers coming through.

See I was just replying to the mock cos I dont think Ishant deserves it . I agree his career hasn't lived up to its early promise , but still imo hes been our best bowler after Zaheers retirement , I say that cos hes won is couple of series at home and overseas hes bowled more match winning spells than every one else combined .  I am still not sure we have one bowler who can bowl reasonably well both Home and away .

Overall hes been a safe option to captains and the day and if Yadav continue to improve and Shami can stay out of injury , Ishant should be replaced . 

And yes 37 avg is pretty decent these days , thats what Ishant has been . Not many bowlers will average under 32 if the game continues to be batsmen centric . Yadav  averages 37 as well mind you .

On 2/28/2017 at 6:57 PM, jusarrived said:

See I was just replying to the mock cos I dont think Ishant deserves it . I agree his career hasn't lived up to its early promise , but still imo hes been our best bowler after Zaheers retirement , I say that cos hes won is couple of series at home and overseas hes bowled more match winning spells than every one else combined .  I am still not sure we have one bowler who can bowl reasonably well both Home and away .

Overall hes been a safe option to captains and the day and if Yadav continue to improve and Shami can stay out of injury , Ishant should be replaced . 

And yes 37 avg is pretty decent these days , thats what Ishant has been . Not many bowlers will average under 32 if the game continues to be batsmen centric . Yadav  averages 37 as well mind you .

Thats coz he got way more chances then the next option.Often unwarranted

You can't define a 70 old test career by one off performances

Its like saying Afridi is great batsman coz he won Pak more matches than others

2 hours ago, Lord said:

Thats coz he got way more chances then the next option.Often unwarranted

You can't define a 70 old test career by one off performances

Its like saying Afridi is great batsman coz he won Pak more matches than others

Who according to you should have got more chances than Ishant ? you play 2-3 pace bowlers depending on the conditions and hes always been among the Top2 in the country . The likes of Shami and Aaron where always injured which probabaly helped him . 

On 25/02/2017 at 11:29 AM, speedheat said:

Surprisingly No body is pointing out murli vijays failure once being called as technically best bat in india by some Aussie I don't remember the name.. Is this the technique he has??? A good technique is defied on tough trancks .. Scoring 2 and 10?? The hack is a flat track bully and ishant sharma of batting riding high on past glory's we should quickly find another opener as fast as possible

There is a reason India has had very few good openers. Since Sehwag (was average overseas) Vijay is the only opening batsman who has done well both overseas and at home. There are loads of middle order batsmen who have done well through the years. This is because opening is the most difficult job in tests when bowlers are fresh and there is something in  most pitches. 

With this in mind, Vijay just scored a Century in previous test, scored two centuries in England tour, overseas has been one of our best bats along with Rahane. He has had a few injury issues barring which he has been good.

I can't forget how many times Vijay has given great starts overseas which has led to us getting wins in Lords, getting close to wins in Johannesburg, Adelaide, etc.

Edited by Forever Indian
44 minutes ago, Viper said:

He is a tall bowler who made pointing dance on his tunes.. A legend who knows how to grip the ball and win us CT during the pressure situations

A memorial should be made on this legend. He even won us Lords Test match.. 

Now the question is what did Umesh yadav do in his life ? Other than being bowling machine

:biggrin:

1 hour ago, King Tendulkar said:

Have to say bowled well today 

but more importantly what comedy he provided today lol those face expressions :giggle:

has to stay in team for pure comedy he provides lol

What comedy? He's there to take wickets. If he wants to provide comedy he should take up another gig.

On 3/2/2017 at 0:16 AM, jusarrived said:

Who according to you should have got more chances than Ishant ? you play 2-3 pace bowlers depending on the conditions and hes always been among the Top2 in the country . The likes of Shami and Aaron where always injured which probabaly helped him . 

Well Yadav hasnt played a single Test in Eng,SA,NZ

Bhuvi hasnt played in SA,NZ.

It was all Ishant.