Hardik Pandya is a better bowler in Limited Overs than Ben Stokes

sandeep

30 minutes ago, Vilander said:

how fast was he during the warmup ?

No speed-guns but ,in Pandya's  2nd and 3rd spells, the  ball was flying through to Dhoni and he collected many deliveries on the up.

He hit the deck hard, bowled some vicious bouncers, hit Billings on the helmet with one and made the batsmen hop and jump with some rising balls.

Edited by express bowling

So. :)

Some base bowling stats from today's game:

Hardik Pandya - 9 overs 2 wickets for 46 - comfortably the best seamer on display in the 1st innings.  Arguably over both innings.  Conceded 5 boundaries but took out Morgan and Buttler - the heart of the pommie middle order.

Ben Stokes:  10 overs 2 wickets for 73 - got Yuvraj off a lucky strangle on the legside, while VK threw his wicket on a tired shot.  Conceded 10 boundaries, and was nowhere near as effective as Pandya.

Hypothesis from the OP gains more evidence.  Is Hardik Pandya a better white ball bowler (ODIs and T20s) than Ben Stokes?    :bow:

Cricketing Acumen?  Player evaluation and judgement?  There are folks who consider Stokes a "legend" while bashing Hardik Pandya as a "limited" player.    

Blunt objective evaluation of their bowling with the white ball shows doodh ka doodh, and paani ka paani.  

Edited by sandeep
2 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

Honest opinion 

pandya is a better bowler then stokes. 

Stokes is better batsman at the moment . But pandya will close that gap 

Agree with you about the batting.  Stokes is better as of now.  But Pandya is still developing, we don't know what he will be as a finished product - may improve and surpass Stokes with the bat, may regress and go to $hyte.  

But Pandya clearly surpassing expectations and patronizing dismissals from "acumenites" with the ball in LOI cricket.  

Yes he does need to wrk on his batting.  But his bowling improved leaps and bounds

Frankly even in this innings improved loads.  First half of innings was ugly, panicy.  Second half was composed and easy.

Hit a gorgous cover drive and laced rashid.  Looks weak of his legs and something to work on there, plus mental aspect .

But I feel this innigs will improve loads

Stokes was pretty poor for a while with bat.  But eng showed vison and backed him.  Looks like Kumble/Kohli and Dravid doing the same

Getting there...but still stokes is a better total package at this point of time...stokes can play as a frontline batsman and his bowling is more or less equivalent to Pandya and even slightly better based on previous exploits.

but yes if pandya performs like this leave alone stokes he will be the best LOI allrounder in the world.

His bowling is coming along nicely, bowls a McGrath/Ambrose length at decent pace- hard to hit when he gets it right. I get the feeling he's trying too hard with his batting and hence his body tenses up and he cannot execute big shots; today's innings although not pretty, will hopefully boost his confidence as he saw the team home

Pandya batted with a hangover from the game he failed to finish by throwing away his wicket against the kiwis. He premeditated a big shot and got caught on the boundary when all he needed to do was not throw it away and he wins the game for his team. Today, he was determined not to give it away going for a big shot, especially early on.

Still has a ways to go as a batsman. Big back lift, lot to learn on shot selection, but has definitely flashed raw ability with the bat. He's not out of his depth, and clearly has the ability to hit the long ball. Excellent candidate for#7 slot, especially if he can keep up his bowling.

I'd like to say the positives i see in him till now..bowling wise he can be sharp.He's always over 135ks and can bowl 140+ when he wants.I've seen him bowl upto 145ks on occasions.Gets a good outswing as a stock ball,bowls in a good channel,has a mean bouncer and also developed change of pace.Needs to improve on his yorker though.

Batting wise he's explosive,can rotate the strike and clear the boundaries though can improve on his batting allover.

Fielding wise he's fantastic and very very athletic which helps him in his overall cricket.

He will progress with time,needs to be backed as he's a special talent a rare breed in Indian cricket.As of now I'd like

him to get stronger physically.That will serve him pretty well.

Edited by ShebbySB
19 hours ago, maniac said:

Getting there...but still stokes is a better total package at this point of time...stokes can play as a frontline batsman and his bowling is more or less equivalent to Pandya and even slightly better based on previous exploits.

but yes if pandya performs like this leave alone stokes he will be the best LOI allrounder in the world.

So from ridiculing Pandya as a utility player who won't win matches for his team, earlier in this thread, your "acumen" is starting to adjust with some "captain obvious" insights.  

Although still stubbornly clinging to the delusion that Stokes is a better LOI bowler than Pandya - what previous exploits is this based on?  In ODI cricket?   

On topic, Pandya has a long way to go before he can be considered the real deal but so far so good. I want to see how well he is bowling by the time champions trophy ends. His bowling is really vital to me. If he isn't keeping up with his good start he has given with the ball, then I might want to keep him out of the team. But for now, he deserves his run as he has scored runs and bowled well when others have gotten hit.