Should Rishabh Pant be fast-tracked into the Indian Test team?

maniac

Must be picked in T20 team right away. No point continuing with sagging and old school thought process of Dhoni. He can fill two voids in the T20 team.

1. Be the attacking keeper-batsman that we have been looking for since Dhoni's decline.

2. Serve as an attacking opening batsman that we sorely need. Rohit-Dhawan combo is good for ODIs, but not as effective in T20s.

10 hours ago, laaloo said:

Get him ready so Dhoni can sit him on the bench again. Remember when Dhoni didnt sit out for another wicketkeeper in a dead rubber a few years back? Dhoni is very protective of his place.

Dhoni should have no place in the T20 team as his recent tactics of taking every match to the last ball have severely backfired. I don't care what your average or strike rate is if you start treating every match as your chance to become a hero by hitting a last ball six instead of actually finishing the match earlier. Its high time we bring in either Ashwin or Rohit to captain the T20 team and get Pant as the keeper batsman. Kohli should be kept captain for Tests.

4 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Short answer : no.

Slightly longer answer : No, he is 19 and I've never heard of anyone being a competent keeper at 19. I don't want to turn him into the new Parthiv Patel, who'd have his confidence shattered after dropping a couple from world class bowlers. We need a solid wicket-keeper who is a decent bat far more than we need a great batman who kinda sorta keeps, so we should re-visit Pant in 2-3 years time when he has plenty of experience keeping and would make a bonafide case to be a keeper (if he still continues developing).

What's the harm in T20s? You only have to keep for 120 balls and not many of those will be carrying to the keeper anyway.

4 minutes ago, Vk1 said:

Hello all...my first post here...

We are bracketing Pant as wicketkeeper batsman but the nbrs suggest he is the top batsman of the season so far. Opening slot in T20s is lying vacant with Rohit injured

I wouldn't mind him in ODIs also.

Welcome to ICF.

9 hours ago, sandeep said:

Rishabh Pant - the new Unmukt Chand.  The next "sure thing" to come out of a u-19 team.  For every Virat Kohli, there are the unmukt chands, the Reetinder Sodhis who fizzle out on the big stage.  

But that won't fans with agendas from pant-gasming over the next big hype.  

How many chances did Unmukt Chand get in Indian team to be fizzeled out?

5 hours ago, Texan said:

What's the harm in T20s? You only have to keep for 120 balls and not many of those will be carrying to the keeper anyway.

Then why don't we have any two-bit part timer as wicket keeper in T20 and why is T20 keepers all full-time keepers at some level or another ?

Since when has keeping being about batting ? A 19 year old in his first professional season is not good enough to be a full time keeper at ANY format unless he is a prodigy- i am talking Marc Boucher/Ian Healy level here. 

5 hours ago, Texan said:

Must be picked in T20 team right away. No point continuing with sagging and old school thought process of Dhoni. He can fill two voids in the T20 team.

1. Be the attacking keeper-batsman that we have been looking for since Dhoni's decline.

2. Serve as an attacking opening batsman that we sorely need. Rohit-Dhawan combo is good for ODIs, but not as effective in T20s.

At this point, with Dhoni being 35, Saha being 32 and Ojha being 33/34, it is more imperative for us to look to the future and fill the bloody wicketkeeping void than a batting void. Rishabh needs more seasons under his belt to mature as a KEEPER. 

Even someone as precocious like Quenton deQock was left to marinate in domestic cricket for 4.5 years before he was given a shot at the test team and 3 years for ODI/T20. You know why ? Because he is a KEEPER! Keepers need time to learn how to keep. 
Same applies to Rishabh. 

10 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Then why don't we have any two-bit part timer as wicket keeper in T20 and why is T20 keepers all full-time keepers at some level or another ?

Since when has keeping being about batting ? A 19 year old in his first professional season is not good enough to be a full time keeper at ANY format unless he is a prodigy- i am talking Marc Boucher/Ian Healy level here. 

He is good enough keeper for any level. He is not a Pathiv Patel level bad keeper. Keeping in T20s anyway is easier as pitches are mostly flat. 

23 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

He is good enough keeper for any level. He is not a Pathiv Patel level bad keeper. Keeping in T20s anyway is easier as pitches are mostly flat. 

At this point, i am not sure he is better than Parthiv. As i said, find me a 19 year old international keeper when there are quite serviceable keepers in the side. PP is the last one that comes to mind and we all know how he turned out.

These threads are indicative of how poor the understanding of the game is amongst Indians, where apparently any Tom who bats well and can hunch behind a set of wickets is now a wicketkeeper......

24 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

At this point, with Dhoni being 35, Saha being 32 and Ojha being 33/34, it is more imperative for us to look to the future and fill the bloody wicketkeeping void than a batting void. Rishabh needs more seasons under his belt to mature as a KEEPER. 

Even someone as precocious like Quenton deQock was left to marinate in domestic cricket for 4.5 years before he was given a shot at the test team and 3 years for ODI/T20. You know why ? Because he is a KEEPER! Keepers need time to learn how to keep. 
Same applies to Rishabh. 

Dekock played U19 WC in August 2012 and made his T20 debut for SA in December 2012. ODI debut Jan 2013. Test debut Feb 2014. So, SA did not take 3-4 years in case of Dekock.

7 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Dekock played U19 WC in August 2012 and made his T20 debut for SA in December 2012. ODI debut Jan 2013. Test debut Feb 2014. So, SA did not take 3-4 years in case of Dekock.

DeQock made his FC debut on Dec 20,2009, List-A debut Oct 25th, 2009 and 20/20 debut Oct 2nd, 2011.

DeQock made his Test debut on Feb 20th, 2014, ODI debut on Jan 19th, 2013 and T20 debut on Dec 12th, 2012.

As i said, find me an international keeper picked in or after his first season at FC cricket. Just one example would suffice. 

Keeping is not a joke of a job, people here tend to think that a keeper is a batsman who whacks 300 runs and sits on his haunches. Too bad most of the selection history shows otherwise...

14 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

DeQock made his FC debut on Dec 20,2009, List-A debut Oct 25th, 2009 and 20/20 debut Oct 2nd, 2011.

DeQock made his Test debut on Feb 20th, 2014, ODI debut on Jan 19th, 2013 and T20 debut on Dec 12th, 2012.

As i said, find me an international keeper picked in or after his first season at FC cricket. Just one example would suffice. 

Keeping is not a joke of a job, people here tend to think that a keeper is a batsman who whacks 300 runs and sits on his haunches. Too bad most of the selection history shows otherwise...

Now that is misleading. Dekock might have made FC debut in 2009 but he was not regular for his team. He has still only played 37 FC matches including 11 test matches. It means only 26 FC matches in 7 years indicating that he only became regular in FC cricket later, probably only after his U19 WC performances.

30 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

At this point, i am not sure he is better than Parthiv. As i said, find me a 19 year old international keeper when there are quite serviceable keepers in the side. PP is the last one that comes to mind and we all know how he turned out.

These threads are indicative of how poor the understanding of the game is amongst Indians, where apparently any Tom who bats well and can hunch behind a set of wickets is now a wicketkeeper......

PP is still a bad keeper after 15 years of FC cricket, so, FC cricket did not improve his keeping. Yes, I agree a keeper needs time to hone his skills and at, 19, you wont get a great keeper but when was the last time we had a great keeper. Dhoni in 2004 was a mediocre wicket keeper too. No one is asking him to be included in Test team. He should be playing more FC cricket but should be drafted in T20 team because T20s will be played at the end of Ranji trophy.

11 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Now that is misleading. Dekock might have made FC debut in 2009 but he was not regular for his team. He has still only played 37 FC matches including 11 test matches. It means only 26 FC matches in 7 years indicating that he only became regular in FC cricket later, probably only after his U19 WC performances.

Yes....

and he made his debut in T20Is and ODIs at the age of 20

18 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

PP is still a bad keeper after 15 years of FC cricket, so, FC cricket did not improve his keeping. Yes, I agree a keeper needs time to hone his skills and at, 19, you wont get a great keeper but when was the last time we had a great keeper. Dhoni in 2004 was a mediocre wicket keeper too. No one is asking him to be included in Test team. He should be playing more FC cricket but should be drafted in T20 team because T20s will be played at the end of Ranji trophy.

Find me a T20 keeper who got the job in his first season of professional cricket (it means FC/LoI,20.20).

again, if keeping was so easy, every team would pick a batsman who can sit on his haunches ala Dravid for T20 keepers.

24 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

It is the time that matters.

And DeQock played 20 FC matches before he played ANY sort of international cricket, over 3 years.

He isn't just sitting around when he isn't playing FC matches, he is playing in the junior level, all the while honing his keeping skills.

Seriously, does anyone on this board have even the remotest clue about keeping ? Its not a Batting dominant job, not even close, in terms of the amount of time it takes to become a competent keeper-batsman.

most of keeping is a complex set of muscle-memory actions that you HAVE to drill in young to develop those muscle memory. This is why we see batsmen debuting at 20 but hardly EVER we see a keeper debuting at 20.

Edited by Muloghonto