Jayant Yadav

tweaker

With Jayant his batting is allrounder quality n bowling is decent nothing great, but looks like a smRt cricketer n thinker n a hard worker with good temperament.

He hopefully will pickup tricks of trade n he already has been doing g a big like pace variation n quicker ones, m sure he will explore n learn n pick up n improve his bowling g more , he needs to work on his bowling a bit more, n his batting is very good also needs to work on swaying or avoiding short ball.

15 hours ago, express bowling said:

Jayant Yadav is very articulate.  His post-match interviews are impressive and give the impression that he is a thinking cricketer.

Frankly speaking....he is looking like a batsman who can bowl rather than the other way round.   He has been able to bat superbly on a turning track  with bounce but has looked innocuous at times while bowling on such a track.  He has been able to get some crucial breakthroughs though.

Every spinner has looked innocuous on this pitch even Ashwin, nature of the pitch.

13 hours ago, G_B_ said:

The thing about Jayant is that he seems to have a good head on him. This century was littered with chances half chances and near misses he gave the English bowlers. But all those chances were to good balls. He did not throw it away. 

What I hope we dont do is make him something he is not. Keep him at 8/9 depending and dont promote him higher than that. He provided a good back up option to Ash and is a decent fielder.

I doubt he is going to even be MoM. But I do believe at home he has the capacity to be a vital "cog" as Westy aptly put it.

A limited cricketer, whose strength is that he knows his own strength and weaknesses. 

There was only one chance dropped by Root.

1 minute ago, rkt.india said:

Every spinner has looked innocuous on this pitch even Ashwin, nature of the pitch.

India is missing a trick big time by not getting a leg spinner in, K Yadav , Chahal, Gopal should be nurtured as they can be handful anywhere, personally I am very impressed with Yadav n he is ready for test cricket.

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

What are you talking about  !!

Ashwin was getting vicious turn and bounce consistently....he was getting some turn and bounce on day 1 too.

Rashid got a lot of turn and bounce...even Mooen did.

Edited by express bowling
7 minutes ago, express bowling said:

What are you talking about  !!

Ashwin was getting vicious turn and bounce consistently....he was getting some turn and bounce on day 1 too.

Rashid got a lot of turn and bounce...even Mooen did.

yes, but not consistently and all of them went for runs. Even yesterday, at onetime, Ashwin was looking innocuous. It takes 14 overs on average for Ashwin to take his 1st wicket. Thing is spinners need longer spells to get into the rhythm and be effective. Yadav did not get those. I believe with the kind of action he has, he will be turning the ball far more. Right now, he seems to be more concentrated on accuracy. If Ashwin can turn the ball with that ungainly action, Jayant certainly can who has a better bowling action, more conventional like Swann.

Edited by rkt.india
5 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

yes, but not consistently and all of them went for runs. Even yesterday, at onetime, Ashwin was looking innocuous. It takes 14 overs on average for Ashwin to take his 1st wicket. Thing is spinners need longer spells to get into the rhythm and be effective. Yadav did not get those. I believe with the kind of action he has, he will be turning the ball far more. Right now, he seems to be more concentrated on accuracy. If Ashwin can turn the ball with that ungainly action, Jayant certainly can who has a better bowling action, more conventional like Swann.

Jayant's is sligtly better, but nt really classical either (like Pras).

27 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

This is the first pitch where there was both turn and bounce, there was turn from day 1, there was big turn from day 3 2nd session, spinners have bowled jaffas  almost every over.

Root got big turn from over 1 and picked up a couple of wickets too.

I have watched  Jayant bowl  in domestic cricket, on A tours and in tests ....and he has never got much turn....nor is he a quick spinner like Kumble and Jaddu who will get wickets based on consistent zip off the deck.

Needs to improve this aspect.  As of now....he is looking like a batsman who can bowl and a thinking cricketer.

4 minutes ago, express bowling said:

This is the first pitch where there was both turn and bounce, there was turn from day 1, there was big turn from day 3 2nd session, spinners have bowled jaffas  almost every over.

Root got big turn from over 1 and picked up a couple of wickets too.

I have watched  Jayant bowl  in domestic cricket, on A tours and in tests ....and he has never got much turn....nor is he a quick spinner like Kumble and Jaddu who will get wickets based on consistent zip off the deck.

Needs to improve this aspect.  As of now....he is looking like a batsman who can bowl and a thinking cricketer.

I will take that as a 5th bowler at home. Beign with Ashwin, he will certainly going learn some tricks.

10 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

I will take that as a 5th bowler at home. Beign with Ashwin, he will certainly going learn some tricks.

I will take that too...infact it is preferred for a 5th bowler because he is replacing the 6th batsman and providing rest to the main bowlers.

Just pointing out that he was said to be a bowler who can bat but has turned out to be the other way round....and that has actually helped us.

7 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I will take that too...infact it is preferred for a 5th bowler because he is replacing the 6th batsman and providing rest to the main bowlers.

Just pointing out that he was said to be a bowler who can bat but has turned out to be the other way round....and that has actually helped us.

Very true. But I hope that he continues to work on his bowling. Doesn't need to become next GIS (Great Indian Spinner), but he can certainly improve.