Outside cricket, what has Tendulkar been for India ?

narenpande1

Mariyam, I stay in the US. I know what lobbying is.

Lobbying is nothing but another form of crony capitalism.

In this case, he was " lobbying " against national interests ( exposing a defense installation ) for a personal financial interest.

It is not illegal, but Sachin shows no reluctance to seek favors out of reach for even someone as big as Sanjay Narang.

While Sanjay Narang is no Ambani, he is a filthy rich businessman in his own right. 

It is quiet interesting that you feel it is okay for a Bharat Ratna to lobby for commmerical profit.

Sachin can lobby for anyone.Its his right.Bharat Ratna doesnt take away the rights of the receipient.Its the right of every individual to profit from any economic activity.

JRD Tata was a Bharat Ratna so Tata group should stop making profits?

Lata Mangeshkar should also stop singing songs and what about her lobbying to stop flyover construction in pedder road?

What about Bharat Ratna to a Pakistani called Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan?Any idea?

17 minutes ago, moniker said:

Looks like the OP doesn't understand basic economics. Owning properties doesn't mean money going down the drain. The money eventually trickles down to the families of the builders, property agents and construction workers who had worked on the projects.

Buying imported cars isn't money gone down the drain. You have to pay import duty to the government. The problem with Tendulkar's request for a tax waiver was that he had received the car as a gift. I can understand that, though I would have paid the tax as I'd be using the car anyway.

My only beef with goddy is him meeting the defense minister to protect an illegal construction. That was dishonorable.

And I don't understand this logic behind owing to the fans. So is it ok for a rich businessman to not be philanthropic as he doesn't have a fan following? You have fans because you are good at what you do. You don't become good at what you do because you have fans.

OP understands economics better than you do.

Compare apples to apples. You are comparing India to countries that have resource to population ratio 1000 times greater than India - which is the welfare Scandinavian countries you mentioned. Their tax rates are above 40 %.

If India resorted to this it would result in even more tax evasion.

Only the Narayana Murthy's, Premjis, Nilakenis and Tatas to a large extent understand the benefit and need for philanthropy in India.

Millions of  homeless children/orphans, impoverished families with no source of income benefit if the high and mighty of India  show semblance of austerity and have a bigger heart. 

India has the second worst GINI numbers ( income disparity) in the world. 

I work hard i earn money and i can spend any which way i want.

So how many dollars have you donated?Why this hypocrisy of running off to USA and pontificating others about what to do India?

:lmao:

Looks like the OP doesn't understand basic economics. Owning properties doesn't mean money going down the drain. The money eventually trickles down to the families of the builders, property agents and construction workers who had worked on the projects.

Buying imported cars isn't money gone down the drain. You have to pay import duty to the government. The problem with Tendulkar's request for a tax waiver was that he had received the car as a gift. I can understand that, though I would have paid the tax as I'd be using the car anyway.

My only beef with goddy is him meeting the defense minister to protect an illegal construction. That was dishonorable.

And I don't understand this logic behind owing to the fans. So is it ok for a rich businessman to not be philanthropic as he doesn't have a fan following? You have fans because you are good at what you do. You don't become good at what you do because you have fans.

That's a new revolutionary definition for trickle down economics lol

16 minutes ago, narenpande1 said:

Compare apples to apples. You are comparing India to countries that have resource to population ratio 1000 times greater than India - which is the welfare Scandinavian countries you mentioned. Their tax rates are above 40 %.

If India resorted to this it would result in even more tax evasion.

Only the Narayana Murthy's, Premjis, Nilakenis and Tatas to a large extent understand the benefit and need for philanthropy in India.

Millions of  homeless children/orphans, impoverished families with no source of income benefit if the high and mighty of India  show semblance of austerity and have a bigger heart. 

India has the second worst GINI numbers ( income disparity) in the world. 

1. Denmark, Sweden or Finland are not 'resource rich'

2. Register all citizens with Social Insurance and then go chase them all down for not filing taxes.

3. Giving charity is like giving man a fish. He is fed for a day. Making a system that takes care of the poor is like teaching man how to fish.

You may be surprised,  but the west has given billions of dollars to poor African countries as charity- thats what dozens of NGOs do- and it hasn't made a jot of a difference. Because it doesnt change the system.

6 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

I work hard i earn money and i can spend any which way i want.

So how many dollars have you donated?Why this hypocrisy of running off to USA and pontificating others about what to do India?

:lmao:

Hey, i go where i have the best career..everybody has that right, just like your hero tendulkar has the right to do what is best for his career.

I am not a billionaire like him. If I told you I donated over 150K USD , would you believe me ? so why ask such a silly question ?

@ naren In my very first post in this thread, I mentioned that in my view Sachin is unworthy of a Bharat Ratna. No entertainer deserves the Bharat Ratna. Don't conflate that with the issue of him giving back to the Indian society in general. It isn't India as a whole that has made him.

A vociferous middle/rich segment with time to spare to see his games is responsible for his stature today. And he has given back to that segment to the best of his ability.

4 minutes ago, narenpande1 said:

Hey, i go where i have the best career..everybody has that right, just like your hero tendulkar has the right to do what is best for his career.

I am not a billionaire like him. If I told you I donated over 150K USD , would you believe me ? so why ask such a silly question ?

so how do you know how much Tendulkar has donated ?

35 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

@ naren In my very first post in this thread, I mentioned that in my view Sachin is unworthy of a Bharat Ratna. No entertainer deserves the Bharat Ratna. Don't conflate that with the issue of him giving back to the Indian society in general. It isn't India as a whole that has made him.

A vociferous middle/rich segment with time to spare to see his games is responsible for his stature today. And he has given back to that segment to the best of his ability.

The poor have played an equally big role to his stature.

Sudhir Choudhary was born in a very poor faimily in a semi rural place of muzaffarpur. He became the fan of Sachin tendulkar at the age of 6 only and since then he considered him as a god of cricket. He left his studies at the age of 14 when he was in his secondary school. He is unemployed, having previously worked for a milk company and trained as a teacher.[19] He postponed his marriage, so that he could watch all the matches played by Indian cricket team.[11] He wants to follow the Indian team all over the world, wherever it plays cricket.[11] This style of living followed by Sudhir Kumar has made his parents unhappy,[11] and he once threatened self-immolation if he was not assured of watching all cricket matches played by the Indian cricket team.[4] He declared that his life is dedicated to watching Indian cricket matches and he lives his life on public support.[4]

Edited by fineleg

That's a new revolutionary definition for trickle down economics lol

Huh? I wasn't talking about trickle down economics. I understand that's a sugar coated term used to justify tax cuts for the rich.

If you are buying something, you are investing money in the industry. You are paying sales tax to the government. It is not the same as stashing hard cash in your closet or hiding it in a bank in Switzerland. My point is if you buy something for yourself or even just deposit money in the bank there is some money exchanging hands, it is still in circulation in the market. There is no money gone waste here.

9 hours ago, randomGuy said:

Once Sachin pooped on a fan's face. Fan said it was Mutter paneer.

Are you a 10 year old? Why stoop so low? And what's with disliking every other posts made here. those are reasonable arguments. As someone else said, you are better than this.

People who call him god etc make me cringe. It feeds into type casting against India unnecessarily, like Indians make God out of everything, they are so emotional about their cricketers, they revere their cricketers as immortals, hindus basically have many Gods including sachin etc.

He is as selfish, profit oriented, as 'will bend rules to make a quick buck' as any other Indian. Ok with that.

Just now, Vilander said:

People who call him god etc make me cringe. It feeds into type casting against India unnecessarily, like Indians make God out of everything, they are so emotional about their cricketers, they revere their cricketers as immortals, hindus basically have many Gods including sachin etc.

He is as selfish, profit oriented, as 'will bend rules to make a quick buck' as any other Indian. Ok with that.

Dude I don't know why people take the term "god" for Sachin too seriously. It is just a hyperbole to praise how good or mercurial he was.

that hyperbole was used based on how gifted he was in cricket... not because he made water into wine or walked barefoot over the Indian Ocean

Just now, maniac said:

Dude I don't know why people take the term "god" for Sachin too seriously. It is just a hyperbole to praise how good or mercurial he was.

that hyperbole was used based on how gifted he was in cricket... not because he made water into wine or walked barefoot over the Indian Ocean

Its arguable that he had fellow greats, does it make Kallis,Sangakara etc gods too ? do they make temples for them too. Its a very irksome hyperbole, some dim wit mf will then create a template and do a pooja for a tendulkar statute for cheap publicity, its just about perception.