Calling it now - Ashwin will win us a series in South Africa and Australia

Laaloo

Just now, vvvslaxman said:

Tell me who picked more wickets for SA in the 2nd innings? A 140k seamer. Not a spinner. I really like to see a good taking a singer in ‘Indian conditions’. It was a smokescreen. Fact is it was nothing like Indian besides Kookaburra ball is not SG ball. This has far less pronounced seam. Despite all that he created several chances.  Our batsmen were the culprits. Runouts reckless shots 

Ashwin dominated with Kookaburra ball against SL.People are writing off performance against SL but to me winning in SL is not easy.Ashwin was just outstanding there.I am sure if that 2015 Ashwin was bowling in second test India was winning it.He looks different , I am not just basing in one innings but whole last year after his injury he has lost something.

4 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Ashwin dominated with Kookaburra ball against SL.People are writing off performance against SL but to me winning in SL is not easy.Ashwin was just outstanding there.I am sure if that 2015 Ashwin was bowling in second test India was winning it.He looks different , I am not just basing in one innings but whole last year after his injury he has lost something.

Overseas he is merely a support bowler like all spinners. On the tour he only has chance to bowl in 2 innings . Other 2 seamers took over. With no practice he still did well at least in one innings. He beat them numerous times. You can check commentary thread. If we had Kuldeep I would have picked him. Between Jaddu and Ash with Pandya at 7 it was no brainerwe go with Ash who looked more assured than some of the top order.

1 minute ago, vvvslaxman said:

Overseas he is merely a support bowler like all spinners. On the tour he only has chance to bowl in 2 innings . Other 2 seamers took over. With no practice he still did well at least in one innings. He beat them numerous times. You can check commentary thread. If we had Kuldeep I would have picked him. Between Jaddu and Ash with Pandya at 7 it was no brainerwe go with Ash who looked more assured than some of the top order.

We cannot make a mistake of picking a bowler based on his batting ability  just like you cannot pick a keeper on his batting ability.

Ashwin or Jadeja have to be more than support bowlers if India has to win matches overseas.When they get somewhat helpful wickets they have to win matches or they better get lost, as India will have enough spinners to win them matches at home.

Ashwin has flunked his first major test, let us see what he does in England , if he flops there they might start looking for new bowlers

6 minutes ago, putrevus said:

We cannot make a mistake of picking a bowler based on his batting ability  just like you cannot pick a keeper on his batting ability.

Ashwin or Jadeja have to be more than support bowlers if India has to win matches overseas.When they get somewhat helpful wickets they have to win matches or they better get lost, as India will have enough spinners to win them matches at home.

Ashwin has flunked his first major test, let us see what he does in England , if he flops there they might start looking for new bowlers

Unless there is credible evidence one spinner is far superior we canning gamble. What if Jaddu goes wicketless and doesn’t make any runs. Then we would be crying “

”we should have played Ashwin” if anything Jaddu is not a big spinner either. It is debatable whether he would have done better. Pandya is in for his batting not bowling. If we have to question someone’s place that is Pandyas. Ashwin has far better bowling avge and also better batting avge than pandya. This is not even a spinner friendly series.

2 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Unless there is credible evidence one spinner is far superior we canning gamble. What if Jaddu goes wicketless and doesn’t make any runs. Then we would be crying “

”we should have played Ashwin” if anything Jaddu is not a big spinner either. It is debatable whether he would have done better. Pandya is in for his batting not bowling. If we have to question someone’s place that is Pandyas. Ashwin has far better bowling avge and also better batting avge than pandya. This is not even a spinner friendly series.

In Australia, most times conventional spinners for so many runs that it leaves their team behind in the game. One does not realize but by the time inning is over, Australia has put up 500 on board against visiting side with the  main spinner giving away 200 runs in an inning.

This i where I feeel Jadeja will keep the tab on scoreboard. He is conventional but has knack of bowling inconventional due to his natural strength and bowling action.

He will bowl lot of straight ones which won't turn much etc. You need that kind of bowling in Australia instead of bowlers trying to spin the ball all the time. Kumble realized this during the 08 tour and the 03 tour. Before he used to try bowling conventional for some reason. But he started bowling more straighter to the wicket in his later tours and actually found some success.

Jadjea is that bowler for us. We need to use him as the spinner overseas. 

Just now, Cricketics said:

In Australia, most times conventional spinners for so many runs that it leaves their team behind in the game. One does not realize but by the time inning is over, Australia has put up 500 on board against visiting side with the  main spinner giving away 200 runs in an inning.

This i where I feeel Jadeja will keep the tab on scoreboard. He is conventional but has knack of bowling inconventional due to his natural strength and bowling action.

He will bowl lot of straight ones which won't turn much etc. You need that kind of bowling in Australia instead of bowlers trying to spin the ball all the time. Kumble realized this during the 08 tour and the 03 tour. Before he used to try bowling conventional for some reason. But he started bowling more straighter to the wicket in his later tours and actually found some success.

Jadjea is that bowler for us. We need to use him as the spinner overseas. 

Nope Jaddu will be a flop like all other finger spinners in oz. kuldeep is the Best option there to exploit the bounce. 

Just now, Cricketics said:

I would play Kuldeep and Jadeja in Adelaide may be. But I would play Jadeja ahead of any other spinner in test in England or Australia. 

Having seen oz tests over the years finger spinners struggle to extract bounce and fast turn there in general. If they do it would be because seamers doing most of the damage. Jaddu is flattish. Ash is too over headish. Even murali struggled there .

Even chandana picked a sizfer there. Wrist spinners have distinct advantage there. But who will you leave out. That is a big Q

48 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Having seen oz tests over the years finger spinners struggle to extract bounce and fast turn there in general. If they do it would be because seamers doing most of the damage. Jaddu is flattish. Ash is too over headish. Even murali struggled there .

Even chandana picked a sizfer there. Wrist spinners have distinct advantage there. But who will you leave out. That is a big Q

Keshav Maharaj did well, the leftie spinner. Jadeja can do the same in Australia. Smith wlll easily cut and play pull shots of back foot to Ashwin there.

We must try Jadeja. as he can bowl quicker in the air and won't give Smith and co that much time to move feet. 

5 hours ago, putrevus said:

His batting saves him and his record also is a factor.But last one one year  in 2017 he has been very average at home too. in 11 tests mostly at home he had just two 5fers.

There is much competition in spin that others need opportunity.

4 wickets in first innings that too in SA. 7 wickets in 2 matches. Seems to have developed a knack of wrapping up the tail. And most importantly much better than overrated Maharaj. 

Yes he might not win the series for u abroad but he did the spinner role perfectly IMO. On the way to being a ATG

Edited by R.D forever
23 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Keshav Maharaj did well, the leftie spinner. Jadeja can do the same in Australia. Smith wlll easily cut and play pull shots of back foot to Ashwin there.

We must try Jadeja. as he can bowl quicker in the air and won't give Smith and co that much time to move feet. 

Bro...Ashwins family migrated from Delhi in the Mughal era... now since we have established that, go back and revisit his performance in SA