Mohammad Amir's stats - hype vs reality

New guy

Its too early in his career to judge him too much by his stats imo. Irfan patahan has the same average as him and has taken more wickets. One bad series can balloon his average up and a good series can send his average back down. 

I cant see him doing well in UAE. only score board pressure and faf du plessis zipper can help pace bowlers their.

Edited by Silva

Reality

M.Amir is overhyped by Pak fans-sure but when you look at the standards of the Pak team,he is ok....He is probably one of the better cricketers in the Pak side.

Let me give you an example of how Pak fans overhype works against our judgement-2 decent knocks in the lower-order and people were calling him a genuine allrounder...Hell I believe I even saw a thread somewhere by Pak fans comparing Sohail Khan to Ben Stokes :cantstop: ....that obviously gives us a lot of ammunition to play with but the fact is,Amir is a good tailender by that I mean,he can grind it out and develop important partnerships with a well-set batsman once in a while,not a total slogging and clueless hack....He has good match awareness....even yesterday Chappell and Aussie commentators were complimenting him on his running-between the wickets and sensible batting.

As a fielder,I did see him drop a catch in the 1st test but overall he is ok.....he is fast on the boundary and has a good arm...I have seen even Aussie batsman being a bit more cautious when stealing singles from him.

Now coming to the main point his bowling-He is consistent...bowls in a good channel and keeps it tight...He is pretty useful with the newball and can bowl 3-4 testing overs...He loses the sting in his bowling and drop in pace in later spells much like Sohail Khan or other Pakistani trundlers but what he does is compensates with some very tight bowling.....I haven't seen set batsman go all out attack on him for 15-20 runs overs like the other Pakistani bowlers which means he is keeping them honest.

So overall he is a rare commodity of being a good-decent cricketer in the Pak side which might make him a lot more endearing to the Pakistani fans but comparing him to Starc,Rabada etc is a joke....I think if Pak gets 1 world class bowler and a decent supporting act then Amir will do better but no way in hell he is a spearhead material.

Overall a good cricketer by Pakistani standards but you need to take their over hype with a grain of salt.

Edited by maniac