Batting in 70s and 80s !!!

velu

21 minutes ago, CG said:

Without Helmet and bouncer restrictions Even playing 130ks will be challenging as you can't just plonk on to front foot like Mordern batsman.

+1

not questioning the quality and pace of these yesteryear bowlers except for “hostility”

all video clips, the effect is exaggerated by lack of helmets, where hit on face knocks out the batsmen

batsmen get hit even today on regular basis but because of good quality and robust helmet there is less of the “hostility” effect

Real men :adore:, only kids wear layers and layers of protective gear. I rate the 70s-80s generation batsmen very highly, 90s-early 00s stalwarts had tremendous skill but the 2 decades before that also had sheer guts and high threshold of pain. Modern batsmen are overpaid overhyped pansies. 

12 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Real men :adore:, only kids wear layers and layers of protective gear. I rate the 70s-80s generation batsmen very highly, 90s-early 00s stalwarts had tremendous skill but the 2 decades before that also had sheer guts and high threshold of pain. Modern batsmen are overpaid overhyped pansies. 

Cannot understand this logic ? Would you or your children (in future) drive a car these days without 'modern' era safety features in the car (which are considered regular these days)? Or drive without helmet on high speed freeway in two wheeler? Would you not follow modern day medicines, or modern day suggestions on sanitization or food-safety for yourself or your family? You do take advantage in the protection of modern day protective gears and protocols? Why would you or any family or person be a pansy for that?

We (as citizens) ask for newer modern safety technology in trains/planes, hospitals...all of us take advantage of newer advances to keep us from injury.

Edited by fineleg
9 minutes ago, Gollum said:

It's not a boxing match exactly that batsmen need to prove their capability of getting hit.  These videos are no proof of their bowling speed. Just to give you a perspective, Saba Karim was hit by a Kumble delivery and lost his eye permanently. 

12 minutes ago, fineleg said:

Cannot understand this logic ? Would you or your children (in future) drive a car these days without 'modern' era safety features in the car (which are considered regular these days)? Or drive without helmet on high speed freeway in two wheeler? Would you not follow modern day medicines, or modern day suggestions on sanitization or food-safety for yourself or your family? You do take advantage in the protection of modern day protective gears and protocols? Why would you or any family or person be a pansy for that?

We (as citizens) ask for newer modern safety technology in trains/planes, hospitals...all of us take advantage of newer advances to keep us from injury.

All that you have said is true. But as a race we are turning into cowards, each generation is mentally more fragile, weaker and chicken hearted than the previous one. Too much protection and sugarcoating is softening the human race. I have seen my grandparents, then parents, myself and my nephews/nieces and each generation is more cowardly than the previous. I understand the needs of modern day batsmen and the precautions, but I will never accept them as equal to the previous generation, at least this holds true in cricket for me. 

70s-80s vs modern batsmen be like

vikings.jpg

Edited by Gollum

There is no bravado in not wearing helmet. Its stupid in the modern era where you have the availability of such equipments. Past players deserve kudos for not having such equipment yet performing well and playing risky shots, but that doesn’t mean they were “extra brave”. If they were so brave then they could have chosen to come to bat without Batting Pads also. Batting Pads are for protection of leg too and players can come to bat without batting pads too but they choose to come because no one wants to edge the ball onto leg which happens a lot and fal down on their knees or get directly hit on the leg whoch will cause a lot of pain.

3 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

There is no bravado in not wearing helmet. Its stupid in the modern era where you have the availability of such equipments. Past players deserve kudos for not having such equipment yet performing well and playing risky shots, but that doesn’t mean they were “extra brave”. If they were so brave then they could have chosen to come to bat without Batting Pads also. Batting Pads are for protection of leg too and players can come to bat without batting pads too but they choose to come because no one wants to edge the ball onto leg which happens a lot and fal down on their knees or get directly hit on the leg whoch will cause a lot of pain.

They wore pads because you get hit on the legs very often. You get hit on the head very rarely. Those legends also never wore chest pad, arm guard, thigh pad, shin pad....they were warrior kings. 

2 minutes ago, Gollum said:

They wore pads because you get hit on the legs very often. You get hit on the head very rarely. Those legends also never wore chest pad, arm guard, thigh pad, shin pad....they were warrior kings. 

You can easily top edge and get hit on the head. When sweeping to spinners batsmen  tend to edge the ball and can get hit on the head. Used to happen all the time and still happens.

like I said, they were genious, some of those bats like Viv etc but I won’t call that generation barring few like Viv more gutsy than current generation. 

2 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

There's no proof that modern day batsmen won't be able to face those bowlers without helmets. Unless you prove that, I don't think there's any real mettle in saying that the present lot is a bunch of cowards.

Why don't they drop the helmets at least against medium pacers like Mitchell Marsh and Angelo Matthews, heck most of them play spinners with helmets on. Once they drop helmets sweep shot against spin will be difficult (top edge?) and against even military medium the footwork will be all over the place after 1 bouncer. I have played red ball cricket at a decent level and believe me batting without a helmet messes up your transfer of body weight because the fear of getting hit is there. Now facing 145-150 kph without helmet, say your prayers before you go out to bat with a hat. 

Just now, Cricketics said:

You can easily top edge and get hit on the head. When sweeping to spinners batsmen  tend to edge the ball and can get hit on the head. Used to happen all the time and still happens.

like I said, they were genious, some of those bats like Viv etc but I won’t call that generation barring few like Viv more gutsy than current generation. 

Sweep shot was rarely employed in those days. Gooch was the 1st serial sweeper of the cricket ball and by his time helmets were common. During Bedi-Prassana days sweep shot was frowned down upon because that was a sign of desperation on the batsman's side...Doug Walters employed the sweep shot in the 1969 series but was mocked at by others who felt he was clueless against Bedi. 

Not just Viv, every batsman of that generation was a warrior, Sunny, Chappell, Kahnai sab ke sab. The greatest of them was Mohinder Amarnath who scored runs in WI and Pak against pace batteries. He cracked his skull, broke his jaw, lost his teeth and broke his collar bone but still kept on batting and scoring....no cricketer has shown as much guts as the legendary Jimmy, he was called the Master of Pain those days. Clive Lloyd the 'Black Cat' wore big glasses, he had major eye issues and there were no contact lenses those days. In the 1975 tour to Aus, Thomson bowled a bouncer which smashed his glasses and glass particles got embedded inside his face, but the legend didn't quit the series. Also check the 42 year old Brian Close getting murdered by Holding in that YT clip. Every single batsman of that generation was gutsier than the gutsiest cricketer today. 

13 minutes ago, Gollum said:

@express bowling Without helmet I doubt the above batsmen would have continued playing after getting hit. Broad got hit once against Aaron and is yet to recover psychologically from the blow. 

Even in the '80s, there were some really brave men like Gavaskar and Amarnath  and many many batsmen who tried to avoid playing against teams like the WI.  Faked injury.  Some batters got out deliberately if a barrage of bouncers were dished out.

Amarnath was the bravest Indian batsman I have ever seen.  

Even in the '80s, there were some really brave men like Gavaskar and Amarnath  and many many batsmen who tried to avoid playing against teams like the WI.  Faked injury.  Some batters got out deliberately if a barrage of bouncers were dished out.

Amarnath was the bravest Indian batsman I have ever seen.  
Amaranth was one of our best overseas batsman who performed superbly in the away tour of WI, but for some unknowm reasons failed against them in easier pitches in India scoring 1 runs in 6 innings. Apparently, he also had a poor record in India.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk