"Wish Dhoni Was In My 2003 World Cup Team" - Writes Sourav Ganguly

velu

Only way we would have had a chance to win that day was by batting first ,getting to 280 odd (which we may have actually ) and then having a bowler like bumrah and a mystery leggy like kuly who they never faced. 

That Australian side was full of match winners and mentally strong ,no chance of beating them tbh 

8 hours ago, Khota said:

That final was lost becaus eof Ganguly and Ganguly only. There was no need to play three pacers in that game. Should have played Kumble to create mismatch but the backword thinking was the problem.

Ganguly was over relying on pacers , despite picking two wiclets even Bhajji did not finished his quota which was very surprising

Edited by Singh bling
Zak was nervous and India lost plot in first few overs only.

Anyway, having Dhoni in 2003 team would not have solved any problem.
Yeah, Zak was clearly overwhelmed by the occasion. I can never forget the pounding we received that day.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

To think that he was still a ticket collector during 2003 WC is amazing man. People can say whatever they want but to come from such a modest background without any backing and went onto become one of the greatest cricketers is a fairy-tale story. Immense respect for the man. Dont think in current era of nepotism, we will see such rags to riches players again. 

In fact, Nepotism was more at that time than it is now.

12 hours ago, MechEng said:

It was actually a seamer friendly track with last night's rain making the pitch wettish and considering the epic chase of 275 in 45 overs against Wasim-Waqar-Shoaib, Dada must have thought we played best while chasing.

I have to say in that final I saw some of the most breathtaking six hitting I had ever seen in any cricket game even from today's perspective. Ponting was an active golf player when not playing cricket and you could see his golf skills in those sixes he hit with that sort of bat speed. He made 50 off 74 balls with just 1 four and the remaining 90 runs came off 47 balls with 8 big sixes and 3 fours, perfect way to build an ODI innings. That last six he hit off Srinath in 50th over was easily 110 metres big or more.

that was Wanderers, so, no surprise dby six. that high altitude, easier to hit six than a four there.

"I wish I'd Imran Khan in my 1999 World Cup team." - Wasim Akram :hysterical: 

"I wish I'd Arjuna in my 2007 World Cup team." - Mahela Jayawardane :hysterical: 

"I wish I'd Arjuna in my 2011 World Cup team." - Kumar Sangakkara :hysterical: 

"I wish I'd Stephen Fleming in my 2015 World Cup team." - Brendon Mcculllam :hysterical: 

People have many more excuses and anticipations after losing :giggle:

Edited by Lala
17 hours ago, rkt.india said:

that was Wanderers, so, no surprise dby six. that high altitude, easier to hit six than a four there.

Bur Perth happens to be one of the pitches very close to sea level height and yet very bouncy. Are you sure altitude plays a role in batting shots? 

12 hours ago, Khota said:

That WC final was an embarassment. Seniors provided zero leadership and showed no fight. It is OK to lose but to lose the way they did was unexcusable. No shame.

It wasn't an embarassment actually, yes we bowled terrible but no one expected Ponting to play that kind of innings. Usually one would expect a batsman to play a carefully crafted innings in pressure game like final but the way he accelerated after scoring his 50 was once in a generation stuff.

41 minutes ago, MechEng said:

Bur Perth happens to be one of the pitches very close to sea level height and yet very bouncy. Are you sure altitude plays a role in batting shots? 

what has bounce to do with sixes or high altitude? On high altitude, ball flies far in the air. Same is the case at Chinnaswamy and Dharmshala. Lot of sixes are hit at those places.

1 hour ago, MechEng said:

It wasn't an embarassment actually, yes we bowled terrible but no one expected Ponting to play that kind of innings. Usually one would expect a batsman to play a carefully crafted innings in pressure game like final but the way he accelerated after scoring his 50 was once in a generation stuff.

that aussie team never thought like that .....

safe approach is our thing 

And the only person who scored from our team was also a person who never took the safe approach- Sehwag

2003 final performance was similar to 2017 CT final.

Winning toss and bowling first, losing plot early on, bowlers getting thrashed. 

While chasing most hyped batsmen (SRT and Kohli) dismissed cheaply. 

One aggressive batsman scoring from both sides and batsmen failing around him.

5 hours ago, MechEng said:

Going with three prong pace attack was a brain fart on part of Ganguly. Need to play to your strength and oppos weakness.