Was Pujara's series performance best ever series performance by Indian batsman?

Had all types of performances ranging from 1st gear to 4th gear. He did almost everything you could ask for.

1. Seeing off new ball in tough conditions - check

2. Playing with tailenders and scoring quickly - check

3. Stonewalling - check

4. Big hundred - check

5. Dominating spinner - check

6. Not getting roughed up by pacers - check

In a winning series overseas (outside subcon), Pujara’s this one and Gavaskar’s 750+ runs in WI in 71 ....  consistent performances throughout the series 

At home (familiar conditions) in a winning series, VVS vs Aus in 2001 series .... but this was influenced by one major (ATG) inning 

In subcon, Sehwag in Pak 

Edited by zen
10 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

I would have said yes  

But looking at gavaskar in 1972 against that all time great bowling attack I think he should take that mantle

That was a pop gun attack. Forget ATG, no bowler would even fall in category of very good bowler.

Something similar to what India faced against England in 2016 where Rashid and Moeen were main bowlers.

14 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

I would have said yes  

But looking at gavaskar in 1972 against that all time great bowling attack I think he should take that mantle

That was not a all time great attack. Bernard Julien, Daniel , Sobers were the Pacers.  Having said that it was the best batting I have seen. Sunny was on debut, finger infection made him miss first test. He scored 774 runs in 4 tests on debut tour that too overseas . More importantly we won 1-0 because of him. Since then we have toured WI many times and haven't won after that.

Edited by Straight Drive
6 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

That was not a all time great attack. Bernard Julien, Daniel , Sobers were the Pacers.  Having said that it was the best batting I have seen. Sunny was on debut, finger infection made him miss first test. He scored 774 runs in 4 tests on debut tour that too overseas . More importantly we won 1-0 because of him. Since then we have toured WI many times and haven't won after that.

India have won their last 3 test series in WI.

1 minute ago, singhprakash72 said:

Pujara's knock remind me more of Amarnath than Dravid....Amarnath in test series with Pak and WI, the two toughest, in 1982-83 season was the probably the most phenomenal batting I ever saw (actually just saw vs Pak no Tv coverage at WI but it was probably the best pace attack ever)

Mohinder Amarnath did solve the number 3 problem then and played superbly against WI pace quartet in 1984 series. He was easily the best Indian batsman on that tour. 

5 minutes ago, zen said:

Doing it in 71 for the first time with average batsmen (passengers?) was amazing .... We will win in Aus too in future but doing it for the first time is special 

And we had to take 30 wickets considering home umpire bias, no DRS.

We carried a squad of 14 at most due to cost factor of tours. Now we carry 16 to 17 players overseas as budget isn't issue. So we are well equipped on resources front.

The only thing that was better than it is now is we played at least 5 practice matches on whole tour, some of them between tow test matches. 

Think we played 5 practice matches on that tour to WI.

In England we played 8 practice matches at least iirc .

Result was there to see. We won both those back to back test series.

Now management don't want warmup or reduces one day from warmup.

Edited by Straight Drive

This is best batting Indian batsmen in series win. Quality wise, Mohinder Amarnath batting in 1983 against WI would be my best batting ever by an Indian batsman against the best bowling attack in history of the game.

His twin fifties in Barbados have to be rated the best against fearsome attack.Pujara 100 in first test was his best .