Sign in to follow this  
Gollum

What is your favorite Indian mithai?

khoya jalebis (thin crispy style)

dhoda 

gajrela (with khoya on top and dried fruits mixed)

milk cake ( this is like one of the best barfies out there if not the best along with dhoda for me)

love freshly made bhog/ suji halua

winter time, used to love pinnis (khoya again the preferred variety)

My favorite Indian sweet is a pure Kerala sweet dish called Boli + Kheer..Its usually used in kerala Hindu weddings...i love that combo...Then another kerala sweet called ''Ada Prathaman''. 

Edited by riya

6 hours ago, riya said:

My favorite Indian sweet is a pure Kerala sweet dish called Boli + Kheer..Its usually used in kerala Hindu weddings...i love that combo...Then another kerala sweet called ''Ada Prathaman''. 

boli is not exclusive to malluland :mad:

i use to think its tn special , but boli is more popular in karnataka ..

1 hour ago, velu said:

It is 'puran poli' in Gujrati, 'holige' in Karnataka.....hated that in college but boy was I wrong !!!!

If you are in Bengaluru stop by a shop named 'Holige Mane' in Malleshwaram 6th cross. Maa kasam you won't regret the travel time, best in the world. Try out the dry fruit, khova, badam, anjur (anjir...fig) and coconut versions. Have it in the shop itself, you will get generous dollops of desi ghee on top. That whole area is a foodie's delight ...legendary CTR (Benne Masala Dosa :wp120:), Janatha, Veena Stores and New Krishna Bhavan are within 5-10 minutes walking distance in case you are nearby. Many more eateries if you wanna explore. 

Edited by Gollum

10 minutes ago, Gollum said:

It is 'puran poli' in Gujrati, 'holige' in Karnataka.....hated that in college but boy was I wrong !!!!

If you are in Bengaluru stop by a shop named 'Holige Mane' in Malleshwaram 6th cross. Maa kasam you won't regret the travel time, best in the world. Try out the dry fruit, khova, badam, anjur (anjir...fig) and coconut versions. Have it in the shop itself, you will get generous dollops of desi ghee on top. That whole area is a foodie's delight ...legendary CTR (Benne Masala Dosa :wp120:), Janatha, Veena Stores and New Krishna Bhavan are within 5-10 minutes walking distance in case you are nearby. Many more eateries if you wanna explore. 

malleshwaram is too far for me ..

i take boli or "poli" in a2b .. they make it really good

i dont like coconut poli though ..

anyway nothing beats mysore pak :finger: 

16 minutes ago, velu said:

malleshwaram is too far for me ..

i take boli or "poli" in a2b .. they make it really good

i dont like coconut poli though ..

anyway nothing beats mysore pak :finger: 

Trust me you won't regret my suggestion, A2B poli has no standing before the real masters. 

Mysore Pak is damn bad, just a sugar lump with weird smell :eviltongue:

7 hours ago, Gollum said:

Trust me you won't regret my suggestion, A2B poli has no standing before the real masters. 

Mysore Pak is damn bad, just a sugar lump with weird smell :eviltongue:

:whack:   :whack2:   :bike:

The best ever sweet.. there is Mysore Pak...Big Bang.... and then the rest. Khajoor kahin ka.

On 2/4/2019 at 2:36 AM, velu said:

Sorry...i meant that combo Boli+kheer is a kerala wedding delicacy.

23 minutes ago, Gollum said:

@velu @coffee_rules see most neutrals share my opinion :phehe:

most people might not even seen or heard about it :dontknow:

when we make mysore pak at home , we usually ask our pandaram ( temple priest + cook ) to come to our home and prepare it for us , its not easy to prepare it ..

anyway sri krishna , a2b mysore pak far better than home made ones 

13 minutes ago, Gollum said:

@velu @coffee_rules see most neutrals share my opinion :phehe:

First it is not two words - Mysore Pak . A lot of are turned down by the word Pak. It is Mysore-pak or Mysore-paka. Paka is kaanada means recipe/act of condensing sugar/milk. You should get it from places that are renowned and don't buy anywhere on the street. 

8 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

First it is not two words - Mysore Pak . A lot of are turned down by the word Pak. It is Mysore-pak or Mysore-paka. Paka is kaanada means recipe/act of condensing sugar/milk. You should get it from places that are renowned and don't buy anywhere on the street. 

I thought 'Pak' means sugar syrup. My mom has made this sweet in the past, have had in friends/relatives houses, wedding functions etc. Also tried in A2B and Krishna Sweets, that ghee aroma is overwhelming. Or maybe after having authentic Bengali sweets for so long, other varieties don't impress me that much. 

Edited by Gollum

2 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I thought 'Pak' means sugar syrup. My mom has made this sweet in the past, have had in friends/relatives houses, wedding functions etc. Also tried in A2B and Krishna Sweets, that ghee aroma is overpowering. Or maybe after having authentic Bengali sweets for so long, other varieties don't impress me that much. 

PaakaShastra - the word is derived from this word. Paaka - method of mixing sugar in boiling water/milk/ghee for hours before it becomes perfect in taste. I absolutely hate milk based sweets famous among the Bhadralok.

8 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

PaakaShastra - the word is derived from this word. Paaka - method of mixing sugar in boiling water/milk/ghee for hours before it becomes perfect in taste. I absolutely hate milk based sweets famous among the Bhadralok.

:whack::whack2::whack3: This conversation is over.

On 2/5/2019 at 1:35 AM, velu said:

i dont like our sweets to be covered with this metal foil , ( i tamil they call it silver varkth or something ) ..

when we order in bulk , sometimes they ask us whether we need to  cover it with this silver layer

Velu bro, agree with you but this minor metal foil will do less damage than the adulterated milk which is being used in Mithai's in some parts of India during high demand festive occasions , sad but true...too much demand and less milk is the reason. 

Edited by Under_Score

On 1/30/2019 at 7:16 AM, PBN said:

khoya jalebis (thin crispy style)

dhoda 

gajrela (with khoya on top and dried fruits mixed)

milk cake ( this is like one of the best barfies out there if not the best along with dhoda for me)

love freshly made bhog/ suji halua

winter time, used to love pinnis (khoya again the preferred variety)

On 2/4/2019 at 10:09 PM, Stradlater said:

What no mention of Jalebis? 

Heretics all around.

14 hours ago, Stradlater said:

No mention of Gajar ka halwa so far.

You people are Jahils of highest order.

both mentioned by moi 

:yay:

18 hours ago, diga said:

Dharwad is famous for pedha.... (Flour based)
petha is north Indian made of lauki/pumpkin as the base

Petha is nothing but a block of sugar. It is so sweet, if eaten regularly, even the healthiest person will get diabetes within a week. We had it in Agra, there is little bit of flavor, but all sweet and nothing else.

Kaju Barfi

Payasam/Kheer (both south and North Indian styles)

Son Papdi (both South Indian and North Indian Style)

Jalebi

Mysore Pak

Ras Malai

Rasgulla  :giggle: 

Gulab Jamun (served hot)

Gajar ka Halwa

Maharastrian Style pedas 

Sandesh

On 2nd thoughts I will go with the sweets I don’t like. I believe that is easier 

Not a fan of

Halwa

Petha

Bobattu/ Pooran Poli

Some laddoos (love the Tirupathi and Motichoor ones)

Kakinada Kaaja (kind of Indian Style Baklava)

So I am trying to figure our if this mithai is sold anywhere in India with another name?I see i5 in all the stores in india and most of my friends who are from different parts od India are not able to recognize this. I even googled and its hard to find and looks like its being only sold in USA in Indian stores here.

They call it cutras. It looks like Bengali sweet but not sure how come its not sold in India. It has gulab jamun touch in it. There must be this mithai in India with some other nams?

8548FFBB-9997-4680-A98F-11E23FB2994E.jpeg

We got this old school pendawala shop in the old area of my hometown which is 100-150 years old and makes heavenly melt in the mouth mathura pedas. Generally speaking, the usual malai/kesar etc pedas are run of the mill sweets but this one from the store is just another level.