England Tour of India November 9 2016 - Feb 1 2017: 5 Tests, 3 ODIs, 3 T20s

Laaloo

Squad announced for the first two Tests against England.

Squad Virat Kohli (capt), R Ashwin, Gautam Gambhir, Ravindra Jadeja, Amit Mishra, Mohammad Shami, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane, Wriddhiman Saha, Karun Nair, M Vijay, Umesh Yadav, Hardik Pandya, Ishant Sharma, Jayant Yadav

Can't understand the call up to Pandya in the test team unless the plan is to play him ahead of Rohit @ 6 and play 5 bowlers (3rd spinner in Mishra) and Pandya as 2nd seamer. Would make no sense really

Looks like Rahul and BK have not yet fully recovered. Rohit too got injured in last ODI. Not sure about Pandya in tests.

"Fast bowler Ishant Sharma returned to the 15-man squad after missing the Test series against New Zealand because of an illness. Bhuvneshwar Kumar had recovered from the hamstring injury he suffered during the second Test against New Zealand but was not picked because he had not played a first-class game.

Rohit had sustained an injury to his upper thigh during the ODI series against New Zealand and is expected to be sidelined for six to eight weeks, and might need surgery too. Rahul missed the last two Tests and the ODIs against New Zealand because of a hamstring injury, while Dhawan missed the third Test and the limited-overs contests because of a thumb injury."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-england-2016-17/content/story/1064385.html

Edited by Mosher

Squad announced for the first two Tests against England.

Squad Virat Kohli (capt), R Ashwin, Gautam Gambhir, Ravindra Jadeja, Amit Mishra, Mohammad Shami, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane, Wriddhiman Saha, Karun Nair, M Vijay, Umesh Yadav, Hardik Pandya, Ishant Sharma, Jayant Yadav

Can't understand the call up to Pandya in the test team unless the plan is to play him ahead of Rohit @ 6 and play 5 bowlers (3rd spinner in Mishra) and Pandya as 2nd seamer. Would make no sense really

Rohit is injured, besides I think we might play mishra/Umesh depending on pitch, one thing is he look certain to play, might be a good thing considering, he plays spinner very well

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Why is Ishant in the team?

And Jayant Yadav?????

Is Bhuvi still injured?

Yadav is considered allrounder and yes bhuvi is injured.

Rohit is injured, besides I think we might play mishra/Umesh depending on pitch, one thing is he look certain to play, might be a good thing considering, he plays spinner very well

Jeez just realized Rohit is not in the squad .

Now seems a logical though not sure about Pandya's FC credentials

Still Ashwin @6 Pandya @7 Saha @8 Jadeja @9 and Mishra @ 10 is a incredibly strong lower order

Jeez just realized Rohit is not in the squad .

Now seems a logical though not sure about Pandya's FC credentials

Still Ashwin @6 Pandya @7 Saha @8 Jadeja @9 and Mishra @ 10 is a incredibly strong lower order

Good squad considering the injuries.

BK definitely not dropped but given more time to recuperate.

Pandya is a good chance to play as 2nd seamer (on rank turners) or 3rd seamer (on normal pitches). Most probably will bat at 8 behind Ash and Saha. That will be a strong late middle order.

Jayant Yadav picked considering the no. of lefties in the Eng lineup. Unlikely to get into the playing XI. Good bat as well, so that's a bonus. I'd have picked Kuldeep Yadav in his place.

Rahul really unfortunate to get injured at the wrong time. He was in great form and could have cemented his place as the first choice opener along with Vijay.

I'd go with this team for the 1st test if it's a typical Indian pitch and not a rank turner ...

Murali Vijay

Gautam Gambhir

Cheteshwar Pujara

* Virat Kohli

Ajinkya Rahane

Ravi Ashwin

+ Wridhiman Saha

Hardik Pandya

Ravindra Jadeja

Shami Ahmed

Umesh Yadav