We can't change our batting line up that fast

Cricketics

The best way to comeback in the series is to stick to the same combination of batting line up for now.  We should bring Bhuvi for Ishant but stick with the batting line up if Rahul is cleared and available.

I know there is a lot of pressure on Rahane but we have to stick with him for now. He is probably a game away from getting a big one. Taking him out of this game will not serve us well. I know he hasn't scored much against spin, but he got to be backed and he can score and has the ability even if he is not the best player of spin. 

Our bowling actually did fine so I won't make too many changes to bowling barring getting Bhuvi in. We have to give another game to Jayant. Our batting needs to be stronger and I won't throw Jayant out after one bad game.

Hopefully Rahul is available. 

We shoudln't panic too much and start making all these changes. We had a bad game because we dug ourselves after batting poorly in the first first innings and we took that pressure on the field in the 3rd innings and also batted with it in the 4th.

It is a mental game here and we need to just bat little more conservstively in the first inning of 2nd test and we should find our way back in the series. I read the names and this is too good a team to fail again and again. Just stick to the combination and we will do well in the series.

3 matches left in the series. That is long way to go. 

Let's go India

Rahane has scored tons of runs against spinners in Ranji. He is averaging way too high. So he could be bad against spin recently, but isn't the worst batsmen of spin. 

The problem with him playing spin recently is that he is playing at times too many shots to spin bowlers of high or decent quality. He needs to be little more conservative and get back to his basics and he will do fine. Just play more straight bat and he will be amongst runs.

Straight bat is the key.

There is a long gap now and he can work on that again in nets. I expect a big one from him in next test.

We should stick to Rahane. We have to.

Exactly. Now if all these players were in the last stages of their careers and there were young players waiting on the bench, then it was the perfect time to make changes. But most of the team are in the prime stages of their career and we can't just chop and change. It's been a long time since we lost a test match at home. We were always due for one. These players have earned the right to at least play the remaining matches this series.

P.S I don't mind picking Kuldeep for ishant though. Or just take ishant out and play an extra batsman. 

1 minute ago, laaloo said:

Exactly. Now if all these players were in the last stages of their careers and there were young players waiting on the bench, then it was the perfect time to make changes. But most of the team are in the prime stages of their career and we can't just chop and change. It's been a long time since we lost a test match at home. We were always due for one. These players have earned the right to at least play the remaining matches this series.

P.S I don't mind picking Kuldeep for ishant though. Or just take ishant out and play an extra batsman. 

Yes, with Kuldeep. I will have him sit out this game and after winning 1 test, will then try to see if he can be played in the 3rd game.

I think we have two good spinners so don't really need Kuldeep in the next game and can use Jayant as third bowler when we need to rest our other bowlers, since we need to tighten our batting also and Jayant does provide that batting help down the order.

Agree with the prime stage part. Rahane has to be backed. 

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

Find new opener to replace that kid who gets injured every 2 matches. 

No. If he's fit, he plays. He has to learn to stay fit, yes, but he is too good a player to sit out. We have invested in him and need to stick with him for now. He played a bad shot but needs to learn. And we need to provide him more games to learn that.

Can't bring a new opener just like that.

Why does Rahane have to be backed despite non performance ? Is there any logic to what you are saying ? Anyone who doesnt deliver should be dropped. Nobody is above the team.

Its obvious he is out of form and doesnt seem confident in spin friendly conditions. Current selection shouldnt be based on what he did in the past. 

Edited by kubrickian
16 minutes ago, kubrickian said:

Why does Rahane have to be backed despite non performance ? Is there any logic to what you are saying ? Anyone who doesnt deliver should be dropped. Nobody is above the team.

Its obvious he is out of form and doesnt seem confident in spin friendly conditions. Current selection shouldnt be based on what he did in the past. 

Playing Rahane after a failure doesn't mean we are putting an individual over the team.

He is coming back to form and scored runs against Bangladesh. Everyone struggled here in this test, including players from both the sides, so it is not that he is totally out of form.

Our best batsman is Kohli and Kohli bats better when he knows Rahane is there after him. 

The only reason I feel he should play is because he has a good temperament compared to many players and hence he has lasted in our test team for so long. And this being the toughest time for our team where the whole team struggled, we need someone like Rahane who can grind it out in few session in next game and change the way this series is going on for Indian batsmen.

Trust me, one solid performance by Rahane will totaly change the fate of this series. Of course others like Pujara and Kohli are as important, but then you want one of your best overseas bat to alsoo start scoring runs at home.

And Rahane has done it in the past, He has scored runs against top spinners of Ranji trophy. Keefe might be better than some Ranji spinners but doesn't mean Keefe is Murali and Lyon is Ashwin.

I back Rahane to do well against spin. We should keep him at no. 5 because also Kohli bats better when Rahane is around and I want our best player Kohli to bat more freely. I want Kohli to have that feeling everytime that below him, there is "Rahane."

I dont think he has rectified his technique against spin. He failed against England on decent pitches and never looked comfortable. The eighty runs he scored against Bangladesh was on a flat track where India scored 680 and BD scored 450. Remember that he had problems against spin against Australia in his debut test in 2013 and subsequently whenever he played in spin friendly conditions, barring a few innings here and there.

He has to go back to the nets and work with Dravid. With India down 0-1, there will be a lot of pressure on him which means he is likely to fail. Better to have another batsman like Karun who is a better player against spin. 

Edited by kubrickian
1 hour ago, kubrickian said:

Umm, because 3 bad matches don't define a player? I stated in a different thread asking Rahane to be dropped right now would be like asking Kohli to be dropped if he fails in this series.

19 hours ago, Sidhoni said:

Umm, because 3 bad matches don't define a player? I stated in a different thread asking Rahane to be dropped right now would be like asking Kohli to be dropped if he fails in this series.

Kohli is a much better batsman than Rahane and he has a better all round game. Its not as if Rahane is going through a bad patch of form, he is obviously weak against spin, so unless he goes back to the nets and sorts his problems out, he wont be successful. If it was just about form, then giving a few more chances would make sense.

Move rahane as opener. Since he has good technique against fast bowlers I am sure he can survive. This gives him more time to play spinners. I just feel he needs more time at the crease to play spinners short term only and play Karun nair at 5.

Edited by gattaca

Bangalore most probably will be batting friendly or at best sporting but not too bad for batting, because its not a new venue. But Ind's main problems have been weak opening, terrible catching and unprofessional use of DRS. These weaknesses were there since the beginning of the domestic season but no one payed much attention as team kept winning DESPITE these. Now they really came on to bite India when a well prepared team is facing them.

Secondly, do they even have plans as Rahane claimed before the series? Why did Ishant bowl just 3 overs out of 87 in 2nd inn? Why didn't the skipper have any confidence in him to see if he could reverse swing or there were no plans? Just throw Ash-Jadeja at the opposition and they'd crumble? If that was the plan in 2nd inn then Kohli is terrible exposed as captain.

Both in 1st inn as well as 2nd inn, many of our batsmen threw their wkts away without a fight, misread the line of spin and that is too worrying. The track was obviously not a landmine as the Aussie batsmen showed us or did our spinners not bowl as well too? How could Australia score 250+ runs in both the inns? Shows the failure and lack of plan of our bowlers too.

So a lot of work to do before the next test, if we want to bounce back. This Australian team is very well prepared and has planned thoroughly for every batsman, bowler and pitch.