Who would have been the biggest IPL player among the ones who didnt play or didnt play at their peaks ?

Rules 

• Pick one - Pakistani players can be included 
  • Avoid Players like Sobers who didnt play much white ball cricket 

My choice wud have been Sanath jayasuria 

1. IPL teams have a few weak bowlers and A guy like sanath can feats on them, infact on subcontinetal pitches only extra special bowlers would have troubled him a bit. It wud have been a 96 Wc repeat most days 
  2. He can bowl 
  3. Great fielder

Would have gotten many bowlers like this in IPL and god bless them 

Pick one huh, how about overall and from India?

Overall: Viv...he would have been a monster in this format with modern day rules, equipment, so much ahead of his peers....if I were to guess he would average 55-60 at close to 200 SR, no other batsman in history comes close to that. 

From India: Kapil, avg 30 at 220 SR and a better version of Bhuvi with the ball, fielding would be inferior to Jadeja's but he'd be better than Kohli, Iyer, Pandya, Rohit etc. Superior version of Andre Russell.

Both would be superstar material. 

Viv was an outstanding fielder as well, and handy part-timer. That aura my God, like Arnold from T2. Both him and Kapil were instinctive players, a format like T20 would have brought the best out of their abilities. 

Great thread!!

27 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

Jayasurya still played a devastating knock against CSK when he scored a 100 off 40-50 balls in the first edition.

That's one of the best innings i have EVER seen in the IPL.

He was terrifying. The crowd was singing his name...'suuuuryaaaa surya'. He loved batting at the [old] wankhede. Remember that 151 in 1997 independence cup?

Jayasuriya would have been a great IPL player his prime, probably a marquee player. Easily as good as AB de villiers or gayle, when you consider his all-round ability and knowledge of subcontinent conditions.

7 minutes ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

He was terrifying. The crowd was singing his name...'suuuuryaaaa surya'. He loved batting at the [old] wankhede. Remember that 151 in 1997 independence cup?

Can't forget all those. Lankans were devastating against India in the latter part of the 90s.

Edited by Stan AF

I'll give you one marquee player from every country:

India: Sachin tendulkar. Peak tendulkar would have been as good as 2016 kohli, and possibly better. Would have been the highest paid player in the IPL for a decade. I also think Kumble would have been unplayable in the IPL, he had the perfect style of bowling for IPL games...like Rashid khan, but better.

Australia: Shane warne. He would have loved the IPL in his prime. Superstar personality, on helpful pitches with leadership ability...he would have been in the same category as tendulkar. If not greater.

South africa: Lance klusener. Would have been as good as pollard, andre russell or dwayne bravo. Probably even better. I think he was maybe a better batsman than those 3, but definitely not as good a bowler as bravo. You can easily build a team around him.

New Zealand: Hard to think of one, but the closest is probably Chris cairns. At worst, he'd be albie morkel/chris morris. Maybe not a marquee player but a reliable building block...like shakib al-hasan or yusuf pathan.

Sri Lanka: Sanath Jayasuriya. As stated above, a true marquee level player.

England: nobody. England didn't even acknowledge limited overs cricket until 2015. Maybe Flintoff? but he'd be a albie morkel/chris morris level player at best.

West Indies: i can only think of: Brian Lara, curtley ambrose.

Wasim Akram. The best way to imagine him would be an advanced version of Malinga. All those huge variety of deliveries coupled with yorkers and slower balls in death overs, Kohli would have struggled big time against him.

Edited by MechEng
56 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Pick one huh, how about overall and from India?

Overall: Viv...he would have been a monster in this format with modern day rules, equipment, so much ahead of his peers....if I were to guess he would average 55-60 at close to 200 SR, no other batsman in history comes close to that. 

From India: Kapil, avg 30 at 220 SR and a better version of Bhuvi with the ball, fielding would be inferior to Jadeja's but he'd be better than Kohli, Iyer, Pandya, Rohit etc. Superior version of Andre Russell.

Both would be superstar material. 

Viv would thrive but only in certain conditions. If pitches weren't flat, no heavy bats and big boundaries, also good old school short pitched bowling. He always wanted a challenge.

5 minutes ago, MechEng said:

Wasim Akram. The best way to imagine him would be an advanced version of Malinga. All those huge variety of deliveries coupled with yorkers and slower balls in death overs, Kohli would have struggled big time against him.

I dont agree with this.

Wasim was good with the older ball, 2nd spell. He could swing the older ball with pace. But in 4 overs, the ball doesn't really get 'old'. How would he take wickets?

Not saying he wouldn't have been good, but i don't think he would have been a marquee level bowler like malinga. He would have been very economical, but not a wicket taker.

Peak, early 90s waqar younis would be closer to malinga. He had the right length for t20 and his bowling didn't rely as much on external conditions or ball 'preparation'.

21 minutes ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

England: nobody. England didn't even acknowledge limited overs cricket until 2015. Maybe Flintoff? but he'd be a albie morkel/chris morris level player at best

Trescothick 

21 minutes ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

South africa: Lance klusener. Would have been as good as pollard, andre russell or dwayne bravo. Probably even better. I think he was maybe a better batsman than those 3, but definitely not as good a bowler as bravo. You can easily build a team around him.

gibbs wud have also enjoyed a lot 

7 minutes ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

Wasim was good with the older ball, 2nd spell. He could swing the older ball with pace. But in 4 overs, the ball doesn't really get 'old'. How would he take wickets?

those guys wont have found a way, seen umar gul use reverse swing effectively in t20 . N wasim was good with new ball also, although he n every pakistani bowler preffered old ball.

Also pitches in 2nd half of IPL always dry out which is always useful for reverse 

3 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Trescothick 

gibbs wud have also enjoyed a lot 

those guys wont have found a way, seen umar gul use reverse swing effectively in t20 . N wasim was good with new ball also, although he n every pakistani bowler preffered old ball.

Also pitches in 2nd half of IPL always dry out which is always useful for reverse 

Tresco and gibbs wouldn't be a marquee level player though. a decent opener, like hayden or kallis...probably not even that good. 

what did tresco average in england's t20 competitions?

Umar gul was cheating when he bowled against NZ in that 2009 game. there's no way that kind of swing is natural.

1 minute ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

Tresco and gibbs wouldn't be a marquee level player though. a decent opener, like hayden or kallis...probably not even that good.

treso fancied indian bowlers and infact enjoyed batting in India , He was a good LOI player not a big name but names doesnt mean result in IPL. 

2 minutes ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

what did tresco average in england's t20 competitions?

by then he was already going through mental issues 

3 minutes ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

Umar gul was cheating when he bowled against NZ in that 2009 game. there's no way that kind of swing is natural.

as long as you dont get caught its legal  . His numbers in t20 are terrific 

At their respective peaks, I haven't seen anyone as impactful at Jayasuriya in LOIs. Maybe Crowe in 92 WC and Klusener in the 99 WC .... I did not see Richards at his peak, however, if I had to pick one, it would be King Richards, who is the best LOI batsman a team could wish for 

Edited by zen

I believe Cairns and Kluesner played in the ICL. If I had to pick players pre T20 era

Martin Crowe

The entire 70s and 80’s WI team
Wasim,Waqar,Saqlain (assuming Pakistanis are allowed)

Hansie Cronje would have won 2-3 IPL’s easily with his innovative thinking and captaincy. Sad it ended the way it did for one of the greatest. Captains of the modern era.

Alan Donald

Kaluwitharana