Nikola

Steve Smith and David Warner's return won't worry Indian pacers: Gambhir

NEW DELHI: Former India opener Gautam Gambhir has backed the Indian team to defend the Border-Gavaskar Trophy when they travel for the proposed four-match Test series in beginning December 3.

Virat Kohli's side, in the 2018/19 series, became the first Indian side to beat Australia in a Test series in their own den. The series featured stellar performances from batsmen Cheteshwar Pujara, Rishabh Pant and Kohli and the fast bowling battery featuring Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Shami and Ishant Sharma.
But that series saw both Steve Smith and David Warner missing out as they were serving a ban for their involvement in the 'sandpaper-gate' controversy around ball-tampering. This time round, they are expected to be part of a strong batting line-up. But Gambhir believes that the Indian pacers will still pose a threat.

"India has the fast bowlers to challenge any team in any conditions. I am sure with success on the last tour of Australia in the bag, if we go to Australia, we will be serious challengers to the hosts," said Gambhir.

Gambhir also expressed his opinion on the men's T20 World Cup, which is in doubt amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
The ICC has not yet made any decision on the tournament, currently slated to be held in October-November in Australia.
"Look, these are not easy decisions to make. It has to be a well-thought-out call. I am sure ICC will clarify their stand sooner than later. It is important that they take everyone else in confidence," said Gambhir.

Cricket in India has come to a standstill since mid-March and Gambhir believes the sport would resume in the country only when the COVID-19 situation gets better.
"Personally speaking, whenever the time is right, cricket in India will resume," said the 2007 World T20 and 2011 World Cup winner.
"Well, it depends on multiple factors. I am absolutely confident that BCCI will take a calculated call on this.
"No one is in a hurry as human lives are far more important. At the same time, some bit of cricket will immensely help in uplifting the mood of the nation. So it is a delicate decision...a bit of catch 22," he added.

The 38-year-old also has backed BCCI president Sourav Ganguly to put forward his candidature for the post of ICC chairman, saying it will be good for the country to have their representation in the top management of the International Cricket Council.
On July 1, Shashank Manohar stepped down from the post of ICC chairman after twin two-year tenures at the helm. Deputy chairman Imran Khwaja has assumed the responsibilities of the chairperson until a successor is elected.

"I am not privy to what Sourav Ganguly is thinking. But yes, it will be good if India can have their representation in the top management of the ICC," Gambhir told IANS. "India deserves democratic representation in the ICC," he stressed. Cricket South Africa's Director of Cricket Graeme Smith has also supported Ganguly to take over as ICC chairman.

Source: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/news/steve-smith-and-david-warners-return-wont-worry-indian-pacers-gautam-gambhir/articleshow/76997189.cms

Edited by Nikola

Playing xi comparison between 2018 series and last series Australia played.

2018                                  2020

y7q2Fmc.png            UyByalM.png

Except head (who was top scorer in 2018 series as well), their all batsman have been changed from that series. So it's not that just warner & smith coming back but their whole batting lineup looks different now.

Edited by Nikola

Not sure about Warner,but Smith is certainly going to cash in as his record against us suggests,he will definitely live up to our expectations,Warner though may come with maybe one big score for this is going to be a long series

Labuchagne is surely up against (probably )his first biggest challenge,so pressure will be on him

Indian pacers won't either sit idle and wait for things to happen,they for sure will attack Warner as he sems vulnerable this time around , Labuchagne needs to watch out,we might see Saini there ,Umesh won't start there ,if he does ,rest assured Warner will devour everything on his way

Edited by Suhaan

4 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Not sure about Warner,but Smith is certainly going to cash in as his record against us suggests,he will definitely live up to our expectations,Warner though may come with maybe one big score for this is going to be a long series

Labuchagne is surely up against (probably )his first biggest challenge,so pressure will be on him

Indian pacers won't either sit idle and wait for things to happen,they for sure will attack Warner as he sems vulnerable this time around , Labuchagne needs to watch out,we might see there Saini ,Umesh won't start there if he does rest assured Warner will devour everything on his way

Excited for this series just like i was for NZ series but at times we have played really poor cricket. The way we played in NZ series i am really disappointed but before series started we all were so excited and no one could really predict result and thought it would be such a close series but in end it was one sided whitewash. I hope we get to see fight from both teams in Aus vs India series atleast.

Edited by Nikola

4 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Indian pacers won't either sit idle and wait for things to happen,they for sure will attack Warner as he sems vulnerable this time around , Labuchagne needs to watch out,we might see Saini there ,Umesh won't start there ,if he does ,rest assured Warner will devour everything on his way

Ishant round the wicket to Warner should be the strategy. Ishant is similar to Broad in bowling style and equally good if not better in helpful conditions. Hope Bewda and his vanar sena pays attention.

9 minutes ago, maniac said:

Wasn’t Smith Jadeja’s bunny or Am I thinking Michael Clarke?

Can't call him bunny but he did trouble smith in indian conditions. Idk if he can do same in aus conditions (maybe on day 4/5)

Edit: smith averaged 40.66 against Jaddu in 2017 tour. (122 runs from 355 balls, out 3 times)

Edited by Nikola

12 minutes ago, Nikola said:

Excited for this series just like i was for NZ series but at times we have played really poor cricket. The way we played in NZ series i am really disappointed but before series started we all were so excited and no one could really predict result and thought it would be such a close series but in end it was one sided whitewash. I hope we get to see fight from both teams in Aus vs India series atleast.

Umesh should not start there,reasons

1)He will waste a spot

2)His inability to control anything but SG balls makes him loose control and give freebies to even tailenders will make things difficult for India upfront

3)If Warner gets going at the start of the series he will be more menacing than Smith,so we need to tie him down and Umesh is one who will actually boost his confidence as i anticipate him coming first change(if moron Kohli plays him)

Our batting will do fine in Aus even if they give 2013 Ashes kind of pitches,Shaw will shine as will Pant, don't see Saha either there,we need batting cushion against more focused attack this time around

Aussie s will come hard as will we,cracker of a series

Mai kuch jada toh nahi bol gaya,dekhte hain

Edited by Suhaan

8 minutes ago, maniac said:

Wasn’t Smith Jadeja’s bunny or Am I thinking Michael Clarke?

it was clarke but jadeja was the only bowler who had smith in trouble when they toured australia but thats a different story with indian pitches n SG ball. WIth SG ball on indian pitches jadeja has troubled best of the best , its diff to identify which of his deilvery turn and which one doesnt ....

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

8 hours ago, Nikola said:

I do agree that our pace attack can cause trouble against smith & warner but i still feel the trio of warner, labuschagne & smith on flat aussie wickets have better chance of winning series. My prediction is 3-1 or 2-1 in favor of aus.

They seem flat when the Aussies bat but deadly when our batsmen bat! Hope we win the toss and pile up huge totals or else, batting with scoreboard pressure, our batsmen crumble like cookies. If we have to chase anything above double digits in the 4th innings, Lyon will hurl some grenades and make sure we never reach the target.

7 hours ago, Suhaan said:

Umesh should not start there,reasons

1)He will waste a spot

2)His inability to control anything but SG balls makes him loose control and give freebies to even tailenders will make things difficult for India upfront

3)If Warner gets going at the start of the series he will be more menacing than Smith,so we need to tie him down and Umesh is one who will actually boost his confidence as i anticipate him coming first change(if moron Kohli plays him)

Our batting will do fine in Aus even if they give 2013 Ashes kind of pitches,Shaw will shine as will Pant, don't see Saha either there,we need batting cushion against more focused attack this time around

Aussie s will come hard as will we,cracker of a series

Mai kuch jada toh nahi bol gaya,dekhte hain

Yes, no Umesh please! Not even in the squad. 

Don't count your chickens yet, gambhir. Between them they have like 25+ 100s in Australia in the last 7-8 years alone. And I have not yet added the new kid on the block Labuschagne.

Bottom Line: Aussies always score heavily at home.

Edited by Stan AF

I guess we do have a shot at winning the series if we make right selections (wishful thinking knowing Bewada & kolli).  Kuldeep must play D/N test he might be difference in that game.  In Gabba I'd like to see Saini too.  I hope Gill also plays instead of Rahane but can't see that happening at least till 3rd test. 

Kohli had a average series last time so he may play well here.  I guess our biggest trump card against Aussie killing machine of Warner Smith & Labu is Kuldeep. 

3 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

I guess our biggest trump card against Aussie killing machine of Warner Smith & Labu is Kuldeep. 

kuldeep hasnt been in form and his confidence is low as well. 

Key is to score runs so our bowlers come in play. One of the reason for 8-0 whitewash in 2011-12 was that our batsman were even struggling to put 300 on board. 

Key wud be pujara n openers- this time aussie bowlers will come up targetting pujara for sure. 

10 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

kuldeep hasnt been in form and his confidence is low as well. 

Key is to score runs so our bowlers come in play. One of the reason for 8-0 whitewash in 2011-12 was that our batsman were even struggling to put 300 on board. 

Key wud be pujara n openers- this time aussie bowlers will come up targetting pujara for sure. 

Kuldeep took a 5fer last time in Australia.  Not many sub continent  spinners have done that in their maiden inns there.  Besides having a wrist spinner in a D/N test can come very handy.  Heard Kuldeep is trying to increase his pace these days.  I'd back Kuldeep over TTfs like Ashwin in overseas. 

Pujara may not enjoy a big series this time. Say whatever Indian batting cannot compete with Aussie batting in their own den.  We may be blown away in Gabba & D/N game (first two tests in fact)  if we go with our usual approach which has barely yielded us results.  I think we will have to try out of the box & give chance to Saini & Kuldeep. 

4 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Kuldeep took a 5fer last time in Australia.  Not many sub continent  spinners have done that in their maiden inns there.

his confidence was diff and opposition batting was diff

5 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Heard Kuldeep is trying to increase his pace these days.  I'd back Kuldeep over TTfs like Ashwin in overseas. 

he has been working for 2 years but rhythem and confidence needs game time which isnt the case now 

Pujara may not enjoy a big series this time.

I have the same feeling this time they ll come fully prep for pujara and wont let him make runs this time

Say whatever Indian batting cannot compete with Aussie batting in their own den.  We may be blown away in Gabba & D/N game (first two tests in fact)  if we go with our usual approach which has barely yielded us results.  I think we will have to try out of the box & give chance to Saini & Kuldeep. 

Gabba for sure we will be blown as its aussie's fav hunting ground

Saini is a must specially with his length for Smith, but our TM will take umesh sadly 

Gambhir is crazy. If Indian team takes Smith lightly then they may be in for a reality check. Warner can blast any bowler and race to a quick ton in just two sessions. This year it will be a total different test for Indian bowlers in Australia. Bowling to Aaron Finch and Usman Khawaja is not the same against bowling to Warner in Australia and Smith. Warner has a good record in Australia. Smith well, we all know how good he is. But then we have Shastri who thinks this team is as good as ATG teams of WI and Aus. Such jokes are required during the pandemic to give a good laugh to each other.

Edited by Straight Drive

I predict 4-0 in favor of aussies. Effing team can't handle NZ how are they gonna handle Aussies that too with Smith and Warner. Bumrah and Pujara will be our stars as the usual suspects like Kohli, Ishant, Rahane, Ashwin, Jaddu flop like they usually do. I hope Shami, Kuldeep and Saini get a test

12 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I predict 4-0 in favor of aussies. Effing team can't handle NZ how are they gonna handle Aussies that too with Smith and Warner. Bumrah and Pujara will be our stars as the usual suspects like Kohli, Ishant, Rahane, Ashwin, Jaddu flop like they usually do. I hope Shami, Kuldeep and Saini get a test

I dnt think pujara will do well this time, their no.1 target this time wud be pujara and i strongly feel he wont do well this time. 

Why wud kohli fail, he has scored runs on all aussie tours. 

22 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

I dnt think pujara will do well this time, their no.1 target this time wud be pujara and i strongly feel he wont do well this time. 

Pujara has the temperament to overcome the pressure. In an ideal world, he would be captain over hyper emotional Kohli. Kohli will hit some garbage tons like he did in SA and Aus but he won't play that much of a part in winning a series. Pat Cummins is his nemesis. He has a knack of inducing errors from Kohli because of Kohli's attacking instinct which is his boon but also a bane

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

Pujara has the temperament to overcome the pressure. In an ideal world, he would be captain over hyper emotional Kohli. Kohli will hit some garbage tons like he did in SA and Aus but he won't play that much of a part in winning a series. Pat Cummins is his nemesis. He has a knack of inducing errors from Kohli because of Kohli's attacking instinct which is his boon but also a bane

If that enough he wont have had a avg record overseas. Most players generally dont have two good overseas tours of same country. 

Winning and loosing depends on whole team. In pujara case whole team contributed in kohlis case team didnt . 

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

If that enough he wont have had a avg record overseas. Most players generally dont have two good overseas tours of same country. 

Winning and loosing depends on whole team. In pujara case whole team contributed in kohlis case team didnt . 

Because Pujara plays a classical test match innings which is starting off slowly, putting rank bad balls, rotating strike, not doing anything fancy and when the bowlers are tired and wickets are falling, accelerate the scoring. Kohli wants to dominate from the get go which is another strategy and a good one if one has to succeed in Aus but is also liable to traps set by the opposition when the bowlers are fresh and the ball is new. He also has not been able to achieve the success on the team front. Just imagine from a young debutant's point of view. Who would you approach as a youngster - mild mannered always smiling Pujara or angry in your face Kohli

10 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Because Pujara plays a classical test match innings which is starting off slowly, putting rank bad balls, rotating strike, not doing anything fancy and when the bowlers are tired and wickets are falling, accelerate the scoring. Kohli wants to dominate from the get go which is another strategy and a good one if one has to succeed in Aus but is also liable to traps set by the opposition when the bowlers are fresh and the ball is new. He also has not been able to achieve the success on the team front. Just imagine from a young debutant's point of view. Who would you approach as a youngster - mild mannered always smiling Pujara or angry in your face Kohli

Yet kohli has had massive success overseas and pujara hasnt. 

I doubt there wud be a country where pujata avg more then kohli. 

Talking about australia kohlu has been brilliant there.

Sachin had same kohli stRtegy and pujara as dravid check even their numbers in Australia

9 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Yet kohli has had massive success overseas and pujara hasnt. 

I doubt there wud be a country where pujata avg more then kohli. 

Talking about australia kohlu has been brilliant there.

Sachin had same kohli stRtegy and pujara as dravid check even their numbers in Australia

Yes Kohli has more runs in Aus even more than Warner but the latter is part of a WC winning team. You are right Kohli = Sachin and Pujara = Dravid but who was the successful captain among Sachin and Dravid. Kohli can score a multiple tons but it wont matter if India doesnt win which I predict will continue

8 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Yes Kohli has more runs in Aus even more than Warner but the latter is part of a WC winning team. You are right Kohli = Sachin and Pujara = Dravid but who was the successful captain among Sachin and Dravid. Kohli can score a multiple tons but it wont matter if India doesnt win which I predict will continue

Where did captaincy came in?

If its about captaincy who is more successful then kohli.

Winning and loosing depends on team not 1 players.

In 2014 kohli vijay rahane scored but also opposition scored.

In 2019 pujara, kohli, pant, mayank scored but opposition didnt . 

12 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Where did captaincy came in?

If its about captaincy who is more successful then kohli.

Winning and loosing depends on team not 1 players.

In 2014 kohli vijay rahane scored but also opposition scored.

In 2019 pujara, kohli, pant, mayank scored but opposition didnt . 

Because captaincy is also important when it comes to winning which is the main goal of sports. You said win/loss in dependent on team which is why captaincy is vital to bring together 11 men to win.

48 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Because captaincy is also important when it comes to winning which is the main goal of sports. You said win/loss in dependent on team which is why captaincy is vital to bring together 11 men to win.

no the question is where did rahul n sachin captaincy come in to play whose batting apparoach was more effective in australia when number clears who was better

However I do believe Kohli will score minimum 1 hundred this time. Need at least 2 more batsmen other than Pujara to step up and chalk out some draws atleast.

Hope Rohit scores some big tons down under. He has done in ODI's there. He should be able to do it.

9 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

Can't take another 4-0 result. Have seen too many of those 4-0, 4-1, 3-1, 2-0  etc etc

"That doesn't mean we were outplayed."  - your friendly neighborhood kaptaan.

Seriously though, there could be some truth to Kohli's statement.  We could lose every match in a series but be very competitive, losing by small margins. 

For fans' sanity, I don't know what is worse.  Being thrashed by an innings in 1 match and then tamely draw others due to flat pitch run fests?  Or compete in every match, but lose 4-0 by a total of 200 runs/4 wkts separating the two teams?  I guess, in one case, we can complain about the one thrashing.  In the other, we can complain about lack of mental toughness.  

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

5 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

no the question is where did rahul n sachin captaincy come in to play whose batting apparoach was more effective in australia when number clears who was better

you were the one who took it on a tangent by comparing kohli and pujara with sachin and dravid. Key to winning matches boils down to captaincy and how the team mates respond to the captaincy. I guess we are talking about the final score of the series thats why i talked about captaincy. understand?

10 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

I am ready for this tour to be the one where the next generation stands up and establishes itself.  Agarwal, Pujara, Gill, Saini, and, of course the continued success of Bumrah.    

On 7/16/2020 at 2:07 PM, maniac said:

Ishant round the wicket to Warner should be the strategy. Ishant is similar to Broad in bowling style and equally good if not better in helpful conditions. Hope Bewda and his vanar sena pays attention.

Experts, what are Smith's and Labuschagne's weaknesses?  Which of our bowlers is best suited to exploit them?

41 minutes ago, maniac said:

Jadeja vs Smith or Short ball at his throat.

Jadeja bowling isnt same in australia as india

The short ball attack can be best done by one guy but either he ll warm bench or wnt travel

Labu vs Kuldeep/Ashwin/Jadeja or conventional swing bowler like Bhuvi

In aus u wnt get much conventional swing neither it ll spin much. 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

On 7/16/2020 at 11:28 PM, Nikola said:

Playing xi comparison between 2018 series and last series Australia played.

2018                                  2020

y7q2Fmc.png            UyByalM.png

Except head (who was top scorer in 2018 series as well), their all batsman have been changed from that series. So it's not that just warner & smith coming back but their whole batting lineup looks different now.

2020 batting line up is much stronger for Australia.

Having said that Ishant shammi and bumrah broke the australian team - at least one of these three bowlers excelled in each innings. my memory serves me that Umesh was a big disappointment against australia - but still i would dump him only if he is bowling under 140K continuously. I saw him focusing too much on line and length and as a result not pressing hard to generate Pace. Result was a shrewd line and length but trundling pace at 130 to 139K. when shammi continuously bowled between 135 to 146K.

i do not say that 145k or 146K balls are the Best balls , they can be hit for a four or 6 too, But they do leave an Impact.

since I have opened i was most disturbed by balls that my eyes could not see properly and hit my bat or left me faster than expected. Most difficult balls were the one going close to my nose and i thanking my stars that i wore an helmet.

shammi  and bumrah are in form but i think ishant is slowing down. even bumrah seems like slowing down a little. saini has emerged but lets see if he is good enough to be picked in the 11. Long story short I see our attack barring SHAMMI not at its peak.

i tell you i have defended some balls on my bat just by guessing that the ball is bouncing on my shoulders - just by seeing a bit that the ball is possibly bouncing high till shoulders and not able to watch it till it hits my bat. not that i got out to those balls but they created a scare in me and i did not go on front foot against that specific bowler so it was just a matter of time that i was playing with in the crease and finally got a snick.

there was a line n length trundling medium pace bowler in our team , he used to get fifer's regularly but I used to hit him on nets regularly and found him a very easy bowler. He asked me the reason - my response was that i know that his pace s gentle medium pace and i always attack him on the front foot, my mental frame of mind is positive and most comfortable against him so he is easy meat for me.

when a fast medium bowler bowls he can always tie a batsman if he bowls Line and length but whether he would get his wicket or not is not sure. He has to unsettle the batsman. batsman should not be batting at his best against him or must be a bit scared or be on the back foot playing a fast bowler.

i never got out to bowlers against whom I was most comfortable or very confident. i always(mostly) got out to the FASTEST bowler of the team as i was always inside the crease in a defensive frame of mind.

Thats why if i managed to face the first 4 overs and remain not out  , I would always score well.

thats one reason why I support Fast bowlers the most.

4 hours ago, vishalvirsingh said:

2020 batting line up is much stronger for Australia.

Having said that Ishant shammi and bumrah broke the australian team - at least one of these three bowlers excelled in each innings. my memory serves me that Umesh was a big disappointment against australia - but still i would dump him only if he is bowling under 140K continuously. I saw him focusing too much on line and length and as a result not pressing hard to generate Pace. Result was a shrewd line and length but trundling pace at 130 to 139K. when shammi continuously bowled between 135 to 146K.

i do not say that 145k or 146K balls are the Best balls , they can be hit for a four or 6 too, But they do leave an Impact.

since I have opened i was most disturbed by balls that my eyes could not see properly and hit my bat or left me faster than expected. Most difficult balls were the one going close to my nose and i thanking my stars that i wore an helmet.

shammi  and bumrah are in form but i think ishant is slowing down. even bumrah seems like slowing down a little. saini has emerged but lets see if he is good enough to be picked in the 11. Long story short I see our attack barring SHAMMI not at its peak.

i tell you i have defended some balls on my bat just by guessing that the ball is bouncing on my shoulders - just by seeing a bit that the ball is possibly bouncing high till shoulders and not able to watch it till it hits my bat. not that i got out to those balls but they created a scare in me and i did not go on front foot against that specific bowler so it was just a matter of time that i was playing with in the crease and finally got a snick.

there was a line n length trundling medium pace bowler in our team , he used to get fifer's regularly but I used to hit him on nets regularly and found him a very easy bowler. He asked me the reason - my response was that i know that his pace s gentle medium pace and i always attack him on the front foot, my mental frame of mind is positive and most comfortable against him so he is easy meat for me.

when a fast medium bowler bowls he can always tie a batsman if he bowls Line and length but whether he would get his wicket or not is not sure. He has to unsettle the batsman. batsman should not be batting at his best against him or must be a bit scared or be on the back foot playing a fast bowler.

i never got out to bowlers against whom I was most comfortable or very confident. i always(mostly) got out to the FASTEST bowler of the team as i was always inside the crease in a defensive frame of mind.

Thats why if i managed to face the first 4 overs and remain not out  , I would always score well.

thats one reason why I support Fast bowlers the most.

This is exactly why TM and selectors must get rid of the mindset that Navdeep Saini is an LOI bowler and get him ready for tests.  He is aggressive, has hostile pace and seems like he has the fitness to bowl 10-12 fast overs on the trot.  On the first morning in Gabba, Aus walks out to bat to face Bumrah, Saini, Shami and Ishant at their fresh, hostile best.   Reduce them to 30/5 and don't let up.  Dream scenario for the Indian fan!