Air India flight from Dubai to Calicut overruns the runway, breaks into two.. no confirmed information on casualties

Ankit_sharma03

Rest in peace to those deceased. Poor from Air India to fly world war 2 aircrafts. Need more accountability to people and probably a regulatory body to check aircrafts before they are allowed to fly. Also the path from runways to the terminal where the aircrafts taxi are among the worst in India. You can see the difference in Europe and US as to how well they are maintained. Looks more like a village road to me

2 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Air India in action

I've got news that the wheels did not open before landing and the pilot did some 'valley landing'.

Also the pilot released all petroleum containers from aircraft on the sea before landing so that the aircraft doesn't catch fire if it crash lands. Great bravery from the pilots.

24 minutes ago, MechEng said:

I've got news that the wheels did not open before landing and the pilot did some 'valley landing'.

Also the pilot released all petroleum containers from aircraft on the sea before landing so that the aircraft doesn't catch fire if it crash lands. Great bravery from the pilots.

Belly Landing? Like the Pak aircraft earlier this year. 

39 minutes ago, Vickydev said:

Belly Landing? Like the Pak aircraft earlier this year. 

Not sure, the blackbox has been extracted so now we can get to know what actually happened.

I won't blame Air India tech this quick since no feat of engineering is foolproof, glitches are a part of all technologies. But it's a harrowing coincidence if a pilot has to do belly landing on wet runway due to heavy rain and that too on a table top airport.

I'm not sure if belly landing can be done on a water surface like the Arabian Sea, maybe the tragedy could have been avoided. There are many questions.

Edited by MechEng

2 hours ago, MechEng said:

Did they contact ground control about the problem. Maybe they could have used the fuel to fly around a little bit until they could find a solution. I may not be an expert on aeronautics but they could have used all the help they needed. Maybe they did. Its an unfortunate event that happened.

2 hours ago, MechEng said:

Air India's maintenance procedure needs to be looked at if the wheels failed to open theory is true.

Lets face it man. Air India is where it is because of their chalta hai attitude. I guess it used to be better as far as safety was concerned now we are slipping there also.

1 hour ago, MechEng said:

Not sure, the blackbox has been extracted so now we can get to know what actually happened.

I won't blame Air India tech this quick since no feat of engineering is foolproof, glitches are a part of all technologies. But it's a harrowing coincidence if a pilot has to do belly landing on wet runway due to heavy rain and that too on a table top airport.

I'm not sure if belly landing can be done on a water surface like the Arabian Sea, maybe the tragedy could have been avoided. There are many questions.

I'm not sure if belly landing on water is that good either. At that pace, hitting even water may feel like hitting concrete

1 hour ago, Straight Drive said:

The government then says nobody is willing to buy Air India. Which investor will take so much of debt and outdated planes alongwith the freebies to babus and with private investment being capped at 49%.

The govt especially this govt needs to look into this and liquidate Air India or make it better. If not, then they are no different from Congress. They want cap on 49% to maintain the gubmint status which means gumbint money to babus. No investor will waste any penny on this

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

Did they contact ground control about the problem. Maybe they could have used the fuel to fly around a little bit until they could find a solution. I may not be an expert on aeronautics but they could have used all the help they needed. Maybe they did. Its an unfortunate event that happened.

Lets face it man. Air India is where it is because of their chalta hai attitude. I guess it used to be better as far as safety was concerned now we are slipping there also.

I'm not sure if belly landing on water is that good either. At that pace, hitting even water may feel like hitting concrete

The govt especially this govt needs to look into this and liquidate Air India or make it better. If not, then they are no different from Congress. They want cap on 49% to maintain the gubmint status which means gumbint money to babus. No investor will waste any penny on this

They could have landed the aircraft in Dabolim airport in Goa which is not too far from Calicut, if not Goa then any other city in Southern India where there are no rains. I'm not sure if the ground control was confident enough that the aircraft could make safe landing on a wet surface.

I don't know how aircraft manufacturing works, but before manufacturing any product a prototype is created first where all sorts of tests are performed on it before large scale manufacturing begins of the product. I'm sure Boeing did rigorous testing of it's 737 jets, whether it be landing on water or doing landing on a wet surface, when it comes to heavy machinery safety is very important. 

4 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Couple of years back they had 76% stake sale in some businesses of Air India. The other restriction put were not liked and yhere was no bidder in first attempt to sell.

Another attempt to sell has thus been put forward this year with 100%  stake sale. Other businesses of Air India can also be merged now. Government has also decided to give up the management to attract bidders this time. Some debt will also be absorbed by the government.  Some resources regarding restrictions are also relaxed.

Indigo has been India's best performing airlines operating cost, revenue and profit wise. However, the COVID factor has impacted them so much that they are giving LOP and laying off their existing employees. Not sure if they will be able to bid for Air India given the financial crisis it has faced in this quarter due to COVID. The international routes of air India are tempting though.

The employees were opposing privatisation because the facility for free travel to there family members has already been reduced or perhaps totally scrapped. The work culture of private firm may also be a huge change for them. They are not getting salaries in time with delay by as much as month or more. The best way to get out of this message for government and employees as well as improvisation of service to customers is privatisation. Hope the bidders like the second attempt to sell off the airlines. Works for everyone and saves people tax being used to keep the airline floating in air.