Kohli vs Sachin . Can we stop this embarrassing comparison (POLL)

Has Virat surpassed Sachin as a cricketer?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Has Virat surpassed Sachin as a cricketer?

3 minutes ago, Dirk_Diggler said:

Kohli has surpassed Sachin in LOI for me, the guy has won so many games and his mentality is second to none.

He has a long way to go in the Test format though. 

Is he better than others technically in LOIs? Mentally he is superior to others without a shadow of doubt.

4 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

Is he better than others technically in LOIs? Mentally he is superior to others without a shadow of doubt.

Technique doesn't matter, results do. Who would ever rate Dhoni or Bevan highly on technique but they would be in my ATG Odi squad. Same with Kohli, who has a pretty decent technique by the way. There are very few players in the history of odi who can win a match on their own and chase any target on their own. Kohli is one of those rare players. Do I care whether Kohli scores 15000+ runs in his career? No. If I'm given a choice of having Kohli in the team or Tendulkar at similar stage in his career (around late 20s), I would pick Kohli simply coz it's relatively easier to get an opener in odis compared to a top/middle order bat who can chase anything on his own.

1 hour ago, Ultimate_Game said:

Technique doesn't matter, results do. Who would ever rate Dhoni or Bevan highly on technique but they would be in my ATG Odi squad. Same with Kohli, who has a pretty decent technique by the way. There are very few players in the history of odi who can win a match on their own and chase any target on their own. Kohli is one of those rare players. Do I care whether Kohli scores 15000+ runs in his career? No. If I'm given a choice of having Kohli in the team or Tendulkar at similar stage in his career (around late 20s), I would pick Kohli simply coz it's relatively easier to get an opener in odis compared to a top/middle order bat who can chase anything on his own.

Dhoni has already proved himself in difficult conditions. He has technique to do well in different types of conditions.

47 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Dhoni has already proved himself in difficult conditions. He has technique to do well in different types of conditions.

Thing is performing at a high level in intl sports is more than technique or speed or talent or physical attributes. Temperament and ability to perform in the crunch are the biggest intangibles and I would rate them higher than technique or skill alone. Yes Dhoni has proved himself in tough situations but when he first came on to the scene and when folks looked at his ungainly technique, how many people wrote him off and said he can't perform well against better teams or in tough situations. Yet he confounded his critics by simply doing things he could do well. That was my original point. 

And this phenomenon is not just limited to cricket alone. There are sportspersons or athletes who continue to outperform the folks who they shouldn't. I don't know if anyone follows NFL but Tom Brady is a prime example. He was picked in 6th round and was virtually given up on by all the teams. If you read his scouting report you will be surprised if they are talking about the same player. Yet he became the best player in the NFL and continues to win. Yes there are Mannings and Favres and Rodgers of the world but likes of Brady and Montana are a notch higher. That's what I was alluding to when I said I would pick Kohli ahead of Tendulkar. Not that Tendulkar isn't great but coz Kohli has that something which gets you the wins against odds (in shorter formats).

21 hours ago, Dirk_Diggler said:

Kohli has surpassed Sachin in LOI for me, the guy has won so many games and his mentality is second to none.

He has a long way to go in the Test format though. 

1) Sachin won countless ODIs for India too, particularly at home just like Kohli is doing at home. People keep on forgetting this and confusing with test format or his later career after injury. 

2) Sachin has won things like first ODI series against Aussies away from home (Sharjah) and the only ever ODI series win IN Australia which rarely any team has done. Kohli is yet to do that

3) Sachin almost single handedly carried team to WC 2003 final and was the top scorer in 96 world cup  (which I believe we would have won if not for the fixing)

I don't know if people have really, really short memories about how many ODI matches Sachin won for India or are deliberately ignoring these here, only remembering last couple of years of his career and forgetting almost 17-18 years before that

Edited by New guy
13 hours ago, Ultimate_Game said:

That's what I was alluding to when I said I would pick Kohli ahead of Tendulkar. Not that Tendulkar isn't great but coz Kohli has that something which gets you the wins against odds (in shorter formats).

I am pretty sure none of you guys ever owned a TV before 2005 because the countless, countless ODI games Sachin won for India against all odds, many times almost single handedly cannot be lost to you otherwise. You are remembering the struggling Sachin from his last years and not the Sachin who won the CB cup in Australia, the Sahrjah cup and so many, many bi-lateral series just like Kohli did. And sometimes much bigger odds and better bowlers than Kohli did and definitely in much varied conditions - on spinning pitches, bouncy pitches, seaming pitches

I am having flash backs of the complete hypocrisy of Sachin detractors from a few years before. When Kohli wins an ODI match at his home conditions, its "against odds" but when Sachin wins in Australia, or in Sharjah chasing single-handedly its not "against odds". Its the same classic false dichotmy and goal post moving

Edited by New guy
15 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

No. ODI all over the world being played on flatter tracks contributed to decent success of dhoni outside in ODI. He is thoroughly exposed outside compared to home in tests.

Edited by Pollack
14 minutes ago, New guy said:

Sachin almost single handedly carried team to WC 2003 final and was the top scorer in 96 world cup  (which I believe we would have won if not for the fixing)

Plenty of players who played in the 96 WC semi have said the decision to bowl first in semi was team decision.So the fixing angle is just a nonsense excuse by the likes of Kambli is cry in front of media.SriLanka were much better team than us anyway.They thrashed us in the group stage too.

15 minutes ago, New guy said:

I am pretty sure none of you guys ever owned a TV before 2005 because the countless, countless ODI games Sachin won for India against all odds, many times almost single handedly cannot be lost to you otherwise. You are remembering the struggling Sachin from his last years and not the Sachin who won the CB cup in Australia, the Sahrjah cup and so many, many bi-lateral series just like Kohli did. And sometimes much bigger odds and better bowlers than Kohli did and definitely in much varied conditions - on spinning pitches, bouncy pitches, seaming pitches

I am having flash backs of the complete hypocrisy of Sachin detractors from a few years before. When Kohli wins an ODI match at his home conditions, its "against odds" but when Sachin wins in Australia, or in Sharjah chasing single-handedly its not "against odds". Its the same classic false dichotmy and goal post moving

If Sachin at peak got the team of Yuvraj,Raina,Sehwag,Gambhir in 90s he won many matches would've been the perception. He was lone warrior back then and had no support of finishers like Dhoni,Raina and yuvraj.

5 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

We are referring to ODIs here and hence yes he has proved himself in variety of conditions.

Chennai ODI against Pakistan prime example.

Indian Players with poor technique can somehow mange in subcontinent. Theoretically its outside but you know what we talk about when we speak of outside conditions.

Dhoni don't have phenomenal success outside in ODI. Flatter pitches for ODI all over the world in recent decade and Dhoni playing much down the order saved him from getting his poor technique exposed.The same Dhoni is poor outside in tests