BCCI announces India squad for Champions Trophy 2017

Is the Indian CT2017 squad selection satisfactory?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Are you overall happy with the CT2017 indian Squad?

• Yes
    • No

Quite surprised to see Gambhir missing from the squad , such blatant politics is horrible.  I'm sure there have been backdoor politics since forever but this time Its quite obvious.   Rohit Sharma is in such a horrible form that he can't even buy a run , Dhawan is an embarassment on international stage and Rahane averages 32 or so in ODIs .  Gambhir plays his hearts out , if he opens with a RH batsman - it gives a good opening stand.   I find it so odd that Gambhir was not even discussed .  

I really hope Kohli has nothing to do with Gambhir's exclusion.  He definitely needed to be in the team , he can play big innings , has shown his preserverance in big games and he gets under the skin of Pak team and plays wonderfully against them .  

Both are from Delhi and Kohli and Gambhir dont like each other. That was horrendous oversight. I think Yuvraj has no business in the team either. It is first time India bowling is stronger than batting.

Quite surprised to see Gambhir missing from the squad , such blatant politics is horrible.  I'm sure there have been backdoor politics since forever but this time Its quite obvious.   Rohit Sharma is in such a horrible form that he can't even buy a run , Dhawan is an embarassment on international stage and Rahane averages 32 or so in ODIs .  Gambhir plays his hearts out , if he opens with a RH batsman - it gives a good opening stand.   I find it so odd that Gambhir was not even discussed .  

I really hope Kohli has nothing to do with Gambhir's exclusion.  He definitely needed to be in the team , he can play big innings , has shown his preserverance in big games and he gets under the skin of Pak team and plays wonderfully against them .  

Gambhir should be nowhere the Indian team.

He didn't do much in the List A competition either .His Ranji form has been horrible for years.

IPL shouldn't be the sole metric for ODI call ups.Otherwise we have to replace Ashwin with Harbhajan and Rohit with Tripathi and Shami with Unadkat too .

14 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

Gambhir should be nowhere the Indian team.

He didn't do much in the List A competition either .His Ranji form has been horrible for years.

IPL shouldn't be the sole metric for ODI call ups.Otherwise we have to replace Ashwin with Harbhajan and Rohit with Tripathi and Shami with Unadkat too .

Gambhir wasn't given a proper chance in the Test series.  So even if we agree that IPL shouldn't be the metrics to go by,  What has Rahane done in ODIs ?  or Rohit recently  ? Rohit is coming off an injury and he's horribly out of form.     It should be horses for courses and U rather take a player who's red hot vs someone coming off an injury. 

Gambhir in Duleep Trophy 2016-2017   = Avg. 71.20   and 4 Half centuries

Gambhir in  Ranji  Trophy  2015-2016   =  Avg 37.53   and 4 Half centuries

Those stats are better than Dhawan and Yuvi 

Edited by bleaf27

Gambhir wasn't given a proper chance in the Test series.  So even if we agree that IPL shouldn't be the metrics to go by,  What has Rahane done in ODIs ?  or Rohit recently  ? Rohit is coming off an injury and he's horribly out of form.     It should be horses for courses and U rather take a player who's red hot vs someone coming off an injury. 

Gambhir in Duleep Trophy 2016-2017   = Avg. 71.20   and 4 Half centuries

Yeah I know he scored in the Dileep trophy matches .It was dissected plenty here in the forum itself.Mostly on pattas.

Check how many 100s Gambhir has scored for Delhi in last 3 Ranji seasons.

Gambhir shouldn't even have been selected for test team in first place.

How can you select a player who has not scored a single 100 in Ranji trophy in 3 years ?

It was a stupid call up and he had his chances and once again showed he is past it.

Rahane has no place in Indian team either.It should have been Pant.

Rohit is one of India's best odi players .His odi form is impeccable.He walks into Indian odi team

1 hour ago, Khota said:

Both are from Delhi and Kohli and Gambhir dont like each other. That was horrendous oversight. I think Yuvraj has no business in the team either. It is first time India bowling is stronger than batting.

Dude stop falling for media hype. There is nothing between Kohli and Gambhir. You guys take heat of the moment, cameo 1 minute verbal fight during twenty20 game too seriously. These things happen daily in cricket if you play cricket.

Also it was Kohli who selected Gambhir out of no where recently ahead of other Indian players in the test squad against New Zealand. Someone like Mukund etc could have been easily picked then. 

There is nothing ill between the two.

I like Gambhir but honestly, who would you play him for? All those picked in the squad have done well for India recently or for India in England.

16 minutes ago, Gambit said:

It was mentioned somewhere that Raina, Pant and a few others are on standby. What does that mean? Will they be picked in case of injuries or is there scope for a last minute change?

In case of injuries. They will go to NCA after IPL to maintain fitness. 

5 hours ago, bleaf27 said:

Alright so many things wrong in this post.

1) "Rohit Sharma is in such a horrible form that he can't even buy a run" - Has scored 3 fifties in the last 5 IPL innings. All three coming when rest of MI batting has failed and he has scored at a strike rate of 150's.

2) "Dhawan is an embarassment on international stage" = Top scorer overall in CT 2013 and Top scorer for India in WC 2015.

3) "Gambhir should be in the team cos he gets under the skin of Pakistan team and plays wonderfully against them" - Last played an ODI in 2013. If scoring against Pakistan is a criteria then we better get Sadagoppan Ramesh in the team too.

Last thing, to the morons who are quoting IPL performances as a yardstick for team selection. Then we should presumably also drop Kohli bring in Uthappa. Drop Shami bring in Unadkat. 

16 hours ago, Cricketics said:

I don't want to be too picky and hence I am fine. I knew Pant won't be picked going by the trend since we did not pick him in the ODI series before that. So even though I wanted Pant, I am not disapppinted as I did not have any expectations or hope of seeing him picked for this CT after he wasn't picked in the last series before CT.

My only concern in this squad is - Ravi Ashwin. Without any match prctice, he is going to go into CT as our bowler. This is my concern. And he isn't the best ODI spinner in the world or Kohli/ABDof spin bowling in ODI's that he should have been picked like that. This isn't test match where he's probabaly the best. ODI is different game and he isn't the best and without any match practice, its a very bad pick by selectors. 

Rest of the squad picked isn't new to us. Its a very similar squad to the one picked against England in ODi series recently. 

May be the selectors are counting on his ATG exploits in ICC tourneys, also he wreaked havoc on England in the 2014 ODI series. 

I was going through the scorecards from our ODI series in England in 2014. 

Guess who was the top scorer from either side? Rahane with 192 runs in 4 matches, average 48 and SR 93.20. 

Root was a distant 2nd with 163 runs, average 40.75 and SR 81.50.

Guess selectors are hoping that Rahane has good memories of England and tbf, if we get a greentop in one of the matches(early June, BCCI weak as jelly, jealousy among goras coz we are the defending champs) we will be praying for Rahane to come good. Rahane isn't a bad selection in those conditions.

However MSD-UV combo in the middle order is the sickest joke the selectors could have played on us. I would have preferred Pant in place of Dhoni and Hardik in place of UV.

My side would have read:

Dhawan

Rahane

Kohli

Rohit

Jadhav

Pant

Hardik

2 out of Ash/jaddu/Shami

Bhuvi

Bumrah

This side could have played for the trophy but thanks to our selectors we are getting walloped in the semis.

rahane.jpg

53 minutes ago, kira said:

Even Gambhir would've been better than Rahane, I can't get over the fact that rahane made the odi squad, this is preposterous :mad:

Rahane was very good in the 2014 ODI series in England. Gambo is the worst visiting batsman to have played in England. Big difference. 

15 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I was going through the scorecards from our ODI series in England in 2014. 

Guess who was the top scorer from either side? Rahane with 192 runs in 4 matches, average 48 and SR 93.20. 

Root was a distant 2nd with 163 runs, average 40.75 and SR 81.50.

Guess selectors are hoping that Rahane has good memories of England and tbf, if we get a greentop in one of the matches(early June, BCCI weak as jelly, jealousy among goras coz we are the defending champs) we will be praying for Rahane to come good. Rahane isn't a bad selection in those conditions.

However MSD-UV combo in the middle order is the sickest joke the selectors could have played on us. I would have preferred Pant in place of Dhoni and Hardik in place of UV.

My side would have read:

Dhawan

Rahane

Kohli

Rohit

Jadhav

Pant

Hardik

2 out of Ash/jaddu/Shami

Bhuvi

Bumrah

This side could have played for the trophy but thanks to our selectors we are getting walloped in the semis.

rahane.jpg

Hmm...Raina should have been selected as well.

Edited by WC2011INDIA