Anil Kumble steps down as coach

2 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

And if we want to believe the same media then Kumble leaked confidential private player talks to friendly media journos

https://www.google.co.in/amp/www.dnaindia.com/cricket/report-did-kumble-leak-one-on-one-talks-with-players-to-media-2456238/amp

That alone is enough to sack any coach.

This is why your argument is highly biased 

The link you posted - the source is dnaindia ? 

I am going by this  http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/story/1104895.html

Kumble's meeting was with BCCI officials  -      " The differences seem irreparable," a board official, who is privy to the discussions, said. He said that Kohli was not ready to take a step back".   According to this official Kohli remained "adamant" about his stand, which might have helped Kumble make up his mind.

@BeautifulGame 

If you are hinting at nepotism because kumble did not satisfy one of the listed qualifications for application then let me be clear that list means sh!tt. It is just done to look professional. Honestly those qualifications list is considered flexible. Even if someone does not fit into all listed one he can still get the job. Nothing nepotism because everyone knows how it is. 

^ I feel for Kumble, becauseI still think  CoA BCCI Manohar ICC saga is root cause. IIRC before that there was no issue ever reported. He demanded 1.5 times salary hike and supported CoA and then that news got leaked to media as "Indian team coach says Team India want to play in CT" and senior player like Tendulkar supported him.

2 hours ago, Pollack said:

Indian team captains can make everyone around them dance to their tunes. Ganguly, dhoni and now kohli. It is not going to chance.

They should include following in Indian coach qualification parameters:

Candidates lacking self respect and just desiring high salary are given preference.

Duncan Fletcher should apply again. He will be perfect - a yes man who always stays in the background.

Edited by nevada
1 minute ago, BeautifulGame said:

I don't consider coaches to be important in cricket.Just organises and fine tune their techniques and improve them as players.Not manage them or responsible for success.

I consider any success to be for players and More to Captain.Same with loss.

As for criticising Kumble, I am criticising the process for selecting Kumble .It was full of nepotism.

Yes process was selecting him was wrong agreed...it was not even one of those things secret rigging...it was a farce.

But that is not the point  here...Kumble is one of the most well respected personalities in Indian cricket and if someone is having a problem with him than obviously people will suspect that person regardless of whose fault it is.Given that we don't know exactly what happened.

Kumble being the leak...I call BS on that news as he is the last guy I would suspect of doing something like that.

This is why your argument is highly biased 

The link you posted - the source is dnaindia ? 

I am going by this  http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/story/1104895.html

Kumble's meeting was with BCCI officials  -      " The differences seem irreparable," a board official, who is privy to the discussions, said. He said that Kohli was not ready to take a step back".   According to this official Kohli remained "adamant" about his stand, which might have helped Kumble make up his mind.

Ok from Cricinfo

The players' concerns are thought to centre mainly around Kumble's man-management skills. In the words of one official familiar with the details, Kumble has been conducting himself like a "headmaster" at a school. Such an approach, the official said, "had not gone down well" with the players who are used to a more relaxed dressing room. Some players - not the bigger personalities like Kohli or MS Dhoni - have felt "a bit intimidated" by Kumble's approach

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/story/1100199.html

See it's not Kohli who has issue with Kumble.He is basically standing up for young players .

Like any good captain would do basically.

I don't consider coaches to be important in cricket.Just organises and fine tune their techniques and improve them as players.Not manage them or responsible for success.

I consider any success to be for players and More to Captain.Same with loss.

As for criticising Kumble, I am criticising the process for selecting Kumble .It was full of nepotism.

But clearly there are instances where the Captain needs a strong opinion in deciding team selection and tactics.  I don't want to keep harping on the Rohit vs Pujara example, but its the most clear one on record.   You may not consider coaches important, but that doesn't mean they aren't.  

Cricket is not like other sports where coach/manager calls a lot of shots and control the team and game.  But they have a major role to play.   Their job is to function as Enablers.   Get the team, the players, the captain - the resources and guidance that they may need and not even be aware of the need.  A captain can't be asked to do ALL  of the planning and strategizing and also look after his own game and fitness.  That's simply too much to expect one person to do in modern day sport, even Cricket.   Teams absolutely need a non-playing individual, who by definition will have fewer conflict of interests in thinking about the game.  And this role simply cannot be fulfilled adequately by a glorified puppet.  No matter how pompously one waxes nostalgic about the "players are all that matter".   

And as far as the process for Kumble's selection.  Let's agree to disagree.  Because I don't see it the same way you do.   I didn't see any other individual who was particularly more qualified than AK who was ignored, and nor was AK short on qualifications.   Its not like he sent in a 2-line resume and was selected over someone much worthier.   

Ok from Cricinfo

See it's not Kohli who has issue with Kumble.He is basically standing up for young players .

"Such an approach, the official said, "had not gone down well" with the players who are used to a more relaxed dressing room".

It is not Kumble's fault that we have superstars and ego maniacs in this team who treat the dressing room not as a workplace environment but their living room and want a relaxed atmosphere.  When you come to the stadium / dressing room - you are there for work . Do your job - what you are "used" to isn't the criteria to select coaches. 

Yes process was selecting him was wrong agreed...it was not even one of those things secret rigging...it was a farce.

But that is not the point  here...Kumble is one of the most well respected personalities in Indian cricket and if someone is having a problem with him than obviously people will suspect that person regardless of whose fault it is.Given that we don't know exactly what happened.

Kumble being the leak...I call BS on that news as he is the last guy I would suspect of doing something like that.

Yes I don't agree the way Kumble is being forced to quit.

Fully agree with that.

Kumble is a legend and the way this has been handled is appalling.

As for the leak, just pointing out that there are plenty of issues between players and Kumble not just Kohli.Thats all .

Can't just criticize Kohli as being arrogant and he forced Kumble to quit without knowing the full details of it.

Sheer natural ability players would not do well as coaches... Once kapil was our coach and he was getting frustrated that one our pacers is not able to understand smtg which he felt was very easy and basic. For him being a naturally gifted player it was easy but everyone isn't  a that way. Sehwag might end up as a kapil Dev kind of coach. Instead we need to go for coaches like Dravid and Zak who evolved in their careers by introspection and thereby  learning how to make things work from different ways... 

"Such an approach, the official said, "had not gone down well" with the players who are used to a more relaxed dressing room".

It is not Kumble's fault that we have superstars and ego maniacs in this team who treat the dressing room not as a workplace environment but their living room and want a relaxed atmosphere.  When you come to the stadium / dressing room - you are there for work . Do your job - what you are "used" to isn't the criteria to select coaches. 

If he can't manage majority of the players and is intimidating younger new players then the problem is with him.

It's basically lack of management skills.

2 minutes ago, sandeep said:

But clearly there are instances where the Captain needs a strong opinion in deciding team selection and tactics.  I don't want to keep harping on the Rohit vs Pujara example, but its the most clear one on record.   You may not consider coaches important, but that doesn't mean they aren't.  

Cricket is not like other sports where coach/manager calls a lot of shots and control the team and game.  But they have a major role to play.   Their job is to function as Enablers.   Get the team, the players, the captain - the resources and guidance that they may need and not even be aware of the need.  A captain can't be asked to do ALL  of the planning and strategizing and also look after his own game and fitness.  That's simply too much to expect one person to do in modern day sport, even Cricket.   Teams absolutely need a non-playing individual, who by definition will have fewer conflict of interests in thinking about the game.  And this role simply cannot be fulfilled adequately by a glorified puppet.  No matter how pompously one waxes nostalgic about the "players are all that matter".   

And as far as the process for Kumble's selection.  Let's agree to disagree.  Because I don't see it the same way you do.   I didn't see any other individual who was particularly more qualified than AK who was ignored, and nor was AK short on qualifications.   Its not like he sent in a 2-line resume and was selected over someone much worthier.   

As much as people believe that international players know everything, the fact is that a coach can always help. Not just with strategy and team selection, but also with small technical stuff. Like after VK was down and dejected as a batsmen after the 2014 England tour, he was quick to admit that it was Ravi Shastri who advised him to widen his stance. 

7 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

Ok from Cricinfo

Are Bhai who are the young players? Most of them are experienced players.The only young players kuldeep if report were to be believed was backed by kumble.

2 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

If he can't manage majority of the players and is intimidating younger new players then the problem is with him.

No intimidation has been "Established "  ,   A headmaster approach isn't intimidation.

When you come play international level cricket - expect to be intimidated / nervous / feel the pressure - welcome to the club .

In a country like India , when you start from the grass root level and make it to the international stage - you have seen everything - nothing that a coach at this level throw at you that will "intimidate you". 

Problem is with the ego-manica superstar who is trying to run the Indian Cricket on his will by keeping his favorites in the playing 11 , forcing a coach who's given great results to step down and now trying to influence which coach should be appointed next and has performed terribly as a captain 

Edited by bleaf27