Bumrah needs to be tried in Test matches

12 minutes ago, express bowling said:

We need to develop a couple of new LOI pacers who are dependable 

That will help us rest Bumrah in lower competition LOI series and dead rubber LOIs.

This will enable Bumrah to play tests outside Asia without being overworked.      : )

Yes I fully agree express bhai if we develop someone like thambi and rajput who can hurl a few in blockhole and equally skilled as bumrah with new ball then we can manage his workload and can try him in testmatches.

7 minutes ago, fineleg said:

How do you feel he bowled in first inn? Not bad, but didn't shine a lot either. Performance was in the middle?

it wasn't bad per se, but I definitely felt it was below-average. it wasn't fully his fault though, since he should have played the SL series and acclimatised to test cricket.

Edited by Vijy

Bumrah has no tools to succeed in tests. His Yorkers won't be as effective in tests since batsman would just block them. Apart from that all he does or can do is his usual angling in to the batsman. He is an ODI bowler. Plus there is a fear of we ruining it even that by mission bumrah in tests. Sooner this experiment is over the better it is.

IMVHO, The below by Moonda in cricinfo is bang on:

A bigger culprit was Jasprit Bumrah, a shocking selection in the squad - forget the XI - given he has not played first-class cricket in a year. Bumrah is an intelligent young bowler. He has a hyper-flexible arm, which makes his variations difficult to pick. He is the best quick going around in limited-overs cricket. His coaches, his mentors, his team-mates all talk about how quick a learner he is. He is, however, not that quick a learner that he will rock up in South Africa, having not bowled more than 10 overs a day in more than a year, not having had to work out a batsman not under pressure of scoring a run a ball, and five net sessions later become the messiah to save India.

Linky

majority of his career, srinath could only move the ball in. he still had a decent test career. he could have got a bucket load more wickets if he figured out the proper length for test cricket early in his career.

bumrah bowls 135-145, can move the ball in, keep some ball straight and most important he is relentless with his line and lengths. i don't think a bowler needs more than this to be successful in test cricket.

Just now, NameGoesHere said:

He should have been given an extended run, but I'm not sure why they didn't get him started in the SL Tests if the intention was for him to play in Tests here.  It's this that concern me greatly because it speaks of piss poor planning by the powers that be in Indian cricket. 

to be fair to the powers- that-be, the only type of planning they excel at is the piss poor kind.