Bollywood's most impactful films

zen

20 minutes ago, Vijy said:

awara was a big hit in soviet union back then... or so I've been told. I think mother india could be added to that list. got a lot of critical acclaim. the same goes for films by guru dutt, esp. in terms of advancing how songs were rendered. great cinematography in his films.

I have seen many videos from places in former USSR, Turkey, etc. where they sing "Awaara Hoon" (and "Mera Juta hai Japani")

I haven't seen Mother India and Guru Dutt films lately so have left them out. Also wanted to limit the number to 7 (7 wonders :p: )

2 minutes ago, zen said:

I have seen many videos from places in former USSR, Turkey, etc. where they sing "Awaara Hoon" (and "Mera Juta hai Japani")

I haven't seen Mother India and Guru Dutt films lately so have left them out. Also wanted to limit the number to 7 (7 wonders :p: )

You should watch Mother India. It is definitely a more socially relevant/ message driven film (for that era) than a Madhumati or a shree 420.

1 minute ago, Mariyam said:

You should watch Mother India. It is definitely a more socially relevant/ message driven film (for that era) than a Madhumati or a shree 420.

agreed. it's a bit overlong but a real powerhouse performance from nargis. a bit of trivia - it almost won the oscar for best foreign language film and lost by just 1 vote (thanks to some confirmed racist whose name I forget).

Lamhe. Yash Chopras best and only tolerable movie. Way ahead of its time. Flopped in India but was a hit and influential overseas. 

Pyaasa very influential and was such a hit with so much critical acclaim. 

In fact most of guru dutts movies were influential.

I liked Shammi Kapoor's Teesri Manzil the first time i saw it as an 8 year old. But the movie did not age well for me. Now, the movie seems a bit boring. Songs are still spectacular to watch and fresh to listen though :)

I always had a soft corner of shammi kapoor's acting, shame that he did not put as much focus on his career and script selection the way rajesh khanna or amitabh did... :/

Edited by Temujin Khaghan

On 9/8/2018 at 1:08 AM, zen said:

Bollywood gamechangers:

• Awaara
  • Mughal-e-Azam
  • Waqt - 1st real multi-starrer iirc w/ lost and found theme 
  • Bobby
  • Deewar - The relatively negative angry young man character that AB played in many of his films 

Why Bobby?

Apart from amazing music, it didn't have much going for it. The plot was very predictable and the support cast were under utilized.

Also, the caricature like portrayal of Bobby and her family was very cringe worthy.

A better 'elope' story was Dil. Easier to empathize with the Aamir Madhuri jodi. In fact it opened the door for many of the "run away get married" movies.  

Edited by Mariyam

3 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Why Bobby?

Apart from amazing music, it didn't have much going for it. The plot was very predictable and the support cast were under utilized.

Also, the caricature like portrayal of Bobby and her family was very cringe worthy.

A better 'elope' story was Dil. Easier to empathize with the Aamir Madhuri jodi. In fact it opened the door for many of the "run away get married" movies.  

QSQT started it before Dil.

Bobby is supposedly the path breakaway movie, unabashedly modern, celebrating rich and youth, unhinged about sex, objectifying women, sorry girls, showed how Raj Kapoor went from awara to a sexual pervert. 

2 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Bobby is supposedly the path breakaway movie, unabashedly modern, celebrating rich and youth, unhinged about sex, objectifying women, sorry girls, showed how Raj Kapoor went from awara to a sexual pervert. 

That song 'Ghe Ghe Ghere' in the movie was actually a folk song about a native Goan losing his everything to the Portuguese & depicting his anguish & pain. RK 'The Great Showman' made it into a happy folk song showing banter between lovers.

6 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Why Bobby?

It changed the the scope of love stories. It needs to be edited for the 21st century and rereleased :lol: .... I find elements of Bobby in many films including Maine Pyar Kiya for e.g. 

On 9/12/2018 at 5:09 PM, coffee_rules said:

I had my timelines all mixed up. QSQT is indeed a year and a half before Dil.

The lyricist for the QSQT songs was 'Majruh' Sultanpuri. One of his last major works.

Between the two, I liked Dil more. The end of QSQT is very bleak. And there is this notion that exists that a love story has to be tragic to be a real story. Most Indian love stories, even in our folk-lore, have been romantic tragedies. 

Dil ends on a positive note and is therefore a lot more likable.

On 9/13/2018 at 12:27 AM, Yoda-esque said:

In terms of pop culture,its got to be Sholay.The movie churned out characters and dialogues that are still in use till this day.

A few others would be Mr. India,Waqt

In terms of movies that make you think,Mother India was pretty impactful.

I agree. Mother India more impactful than Mr.India. And Naya Daur also fairly impactful. This is wrt impact on the society, view vis a vis the tiller and the general soft spot that the movies created for the farming community. Different times though.

Naya Daur also deserves a mention.

Mr.India however, had much more of an impact on film making and the characters are more memorable. We'd all remember Mr.India, Hawa Hawai, Mogambo, Cadbury and Gaitonde. But we'd struggle to remember Birju.

Only you and @zen rate Waqt. Very formulaic and not much to speak about IMO. 

17 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

The gamechangers that I listed were for their impact on Bollywood (not necessarily society) - as Waqt, as far as I recall, was the first major multi-starrer blockbuster w/ lost and found theme, which continued well into the 70s-80s  

18 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

I agree. Mother India more impactful than Mr.India. And Naya Daur also fairly impactful. This is wrt impact on the society, view vis a vis the tiller and the general soft spot that the movies created for the farming community. Different times though.

Naya Daur also deserves a mention.

Mr.India however, had much more of an impact on film making and the characters are more memorable. We'd all remember Mr.India, Hawa Hawai, Mogambo, Cadbury and Gaitonde. But we'd struggle to remember Birju.

Before Sholay, Ganga Jamuna was path breaking showing villagers taking up arms against the establishment. Dilip Saab was top notch in that movie.

I don't rate Waqt, a very out-dated , while the formula of family breaking up and uniting in the end, the main plot of many MMD movies (Amar Akbar Anthony etc.), was invented by Wqt. 

On 9/12/2018 at 3:54 AM, Mariyam said:

Why Bobby?

But Dil was too loud with Anupam Kher being outlandish. I like subtle movies.