Kohli's chances of beating SRT's 1998 record year

surajmal

24 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Yaar ye news reporter wali bakwaas to mere saath kiya na karo, maine jo kaha nhin wo matalb mat nikalo

I have never said that kohli can only score on patta

Ur started with nonsense that it took sachin 4 trips to make a 100 in odi in aus, well have u seen that era team and he made so many scores around 100 so that 80-85 doesnt matter and that remaning 10-15 matter

They both played n damn diff conditions and diff opposition , seriously as someone said u started watching cricket after 2003 well bullshit u started after 2011 most probably. U have no idea about the aussie team of that time and those aussie pitches. Several articles have been written about but ur to lazy to even read them 

Do urself  favour and do some research 

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/justin-langer-flat-pitches-waca-western-australia-coach-sheffield-shield/2015-11-16

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-india-2015-16/content/story/964877.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/blogs/content/story/820483.html

http://www.firstpost.com/firstcricket/sports-news/flat-tracks-galore-cricket-australia-admit-pitches-need-to-offer-more-to-the-bowlers-2594472.html

Google more 

Sachin did take 4 trips to score an odi hundred against Australia in Australia it is a fact, it is you who started the nonsense that it also took flat pitches for Kohli to score an odi 100 in Australia.

I never said anything wrong about Sachin .Why do people get all worked up when anything is said about Sachin.People talk as if Sachin scored all his 100s on  green tops.

Kohli is good enough player to score runs anywhere so there is no need to belittle his achievements by citing lack of bowlers or flat pitches.

Sachin was great but it does not mean others cannot be greater than him.I would take Kohli over Sachin in an odi team any day of the week.

Edited by putrevus
5 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Sachin did take 4 trips to score an odi hundred against Australia in Australia it is a fact, it is you who started the nonsense that it also took flat pitches for Kohli to score an odi 100 in Australia.

I never said anything wrong about Sachin .Why do people get all worked up when anything is said about Sachin.People talk as if Sachin scored all his 100s on  green tops.

Kohli is good enough player to score runs anywhere so there is no need to belittle his achievements by citing lack of bowlers or flat pitches.

Sachin was great but it does not mean others cannot be greater than him.I would take Kohli over Sachin in an odi team any day of the week.

Well then ur debating a wrong person, i aint one of those who ll demean neither modern or old players

Facts are on both sides, so say both sides

Sachin took 4 trips to make a odi 100 in australia- fact

Kohli batted on flattest of aussie decks to make 100 and he didnt face the quality of attack tendulkar faced- both are facts 

1 minute ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Well then ur debating a wrong person, i aint one of those who ll demean neither modern or old players

Facts are on both sides, so say both sides

Sachin took 4 trips to make a odi 100 in australia- fact

Kohli batted on flattest of aussie decks to make 100 and he didnt face the quality of attack tendulkar faced- both are facts 

I don't agree at all that Sachin faced better attacks.He might have faced one or two better bowling units for a test or two but this notion that Sachin faced better attacks is completely false.When people bring that nonsense that Sachin faced so and so and Kohli scored all his runs against chumps it becomes irritating.

Sachin would have done very well in  era and Kohli wouldn't be too shabby either when faced bowlers which Sachin.Kohli is far better chaser than anyone else who has played this game it is also a fact.

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

I don't agree at all that Sachin faced better attacks.He might have faced one or two better bowling units for a test or two but this notion that Sachin faced better attacks is completely false.When people bring that nonsense that Sachin faced so and so and Kohli scored all his runs against chumps it becomes irritating.

Sachin would have done very well in  era and Kohli wouldn't be too shabby either when faced bowlers which Sachin.Kohli is far better chaser than anyone else who has played this game it is also a fact.

About the bold part- u have no idea what ur saying , the bowlers were better coz those days game wasnt tilted that much in favour of batsman . 

Sachin obv wud have done very well in this era infact wud have had stats of diff level may be better then all 

Kohli has faced some top bowler but not in that much quantity, There was a time when every team has 3-4 wc bowlers now whole world wud have only few. Game has tilted more towards batsman the it was in 90s 

Kohli is the best chaser i have no doubts about it. 

9 hours ago, narenpande1 said:

The so called GOAT barely averages in early 30's outside subcontinental comfort in AWAY matches. 88 of them. Sample size enough 

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/35320.html?class=2;filter=advanced;home_or_away=2;opposition=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=4;opposition=5;orderby=default;template=results;type=batting

Away.jpg.3f5eac84c40c4e3bef446d49af5a92b3.jpg

eye opening

19 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

eye opening

14 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

i must say i am surprised as well ,even strike rate is okayish but i think because of performances in 2003 wc ,this is generally ignored

These stats don't include his performances against the likes of SL and Pak outside the sub-con. So for instance his MOTM performances against Pak in Sydney and Centurion in the WCs aren't included. If you include SL/Pak, the average goes up to 37+. As an opener, he averages 40+ against the Top 7 sides outside Asia which is perfectly fine for his era.

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

These stats don't include his performances against the likes of SL and Pak outside the sub-con. So for instance his MOTM performances against Pak in Sydney and Centurion in the WCs aren't included. If you include SL/Pak, the average goes up to 37+. As an opener, he averages 40+ against the Top 7 sides outside Asia which is perfectly fine for his era.

ok but still these are not earth shattering numbers.

8 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

ok but still these are not earth shattering numbers.

You have high standards man. On this very forum I have seen Sehwag being hailed as the daddy of Richards in Tests even though the daddy averages in the 20s in Eng/SA/NZ :phehe:. An average of 40+ in ODIs for an opener outside Asia is Bradman-like in comparison :wp6:.

11 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

You have high standards man. On this very forum I have seen Sehwag being hailed as the daddy of Richards in Tests even though the daddy averages in the 20s in Eng/SA/NZ :phehe:. An average of 40+ in ODIs for an opener outside Asia is Bradman-like in comparison :wp6:.

if he is the greatest,he should have extraordinary numbers and heads n shoulders above others :p:

17 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

About the bold part- u have no idea what ur saying , the bowlers were better coz those days game wasnt tilted that much in favour of batsman . 

Sachin obv wud have done very well in this era infact wud have had stats of diff level may be better then all 

Kohli has faced some top bowler but not in that much quantity, There was a time when every team has 3-4 wc bowlers now whole world wud have only few. Game has tilted more towards batsman the it was in 90s 

Kohli is the best chaser i have no doubts about it. 

You have no clue about what you are talking, I am talking from watching or following every match of Sachin's career. Srilanka was graveyard for bowlers in 1990s before Murali became Murali that is where Sachin scored majority of his runs in SL.he did not tour there in 2001. During his first decade Sachin rarely played against Pakistan. He faced Ambrose and Walsh together once in his career. His record in SA was hovering around 40 till 2011.1999 is only tour where he faced full fledged Australian attack.England was a  poor team in 1990s and most of 2000s where other good teams spanked them for fun.

1990s might have had great bowlers but Sachin did not face them that often.Check his record especially in odis it was not that great away from Asia.It is not just him the Fab four got lot of mileage for achieving very little in terms of team success.

That is where Kohli looks different , he has put team's achievements first priority.I hope he does not get bogged down by chasing meaningless milestones which ultimately mean nothing if team does not do well.

Assuming he is sitting out of the SL odi matches, Kohli finishes 434 runs behind (in 7 less innings). In a way I'm glad. SRT was truly godlike from 96 onwards in ODIs for a few years. His 1998 season is epic not only in terms of numbers but sheer awesomeness that only ABDV has come close to matching. 

On 9/4/2017 at 8:36 PM, narenpande1 said:

yeah..Kohli has such a clown @ss technique that not a single bowler on the planet has a wood over him. 

Whereas Tendulkar with his divine technique was not only owned by Mcgrath, but even the likes of Abdur Razzaq and Hansie Cronje

Kohli has been owned by likes of Junaid. What is kohli's average in finals ??

On 07/09/2017 at 12:40 AM, narenpande1 said:

The so called GOAT barely averages in early 30's outside subcontinental comfort in AWAY matches. 88 of them. Sample size enough 

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/35320.html?class=2;filter=advanced;home_or_away=2;opposition=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=4;opposition=5;orderby=default;template=results;type=batting

Away.jpg.3f5eac84c40c4e3bef446d49af5a92b3.jpg

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/253802.html?class=2;filter=advanced;home_or_away=2;opposition=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=4;opposition=5;orderby=default;template=results;type=batting

On the other hand Kohli's numbers looks great.

image.png

1. Opening wasn't that easy back then in away matches and he did face some of the best ODI bowlers - Donald and Pollock. 

1992 SA series, highest team total was 216

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/team/highest_innings_totals.html?id=673;type=series

Indian team had some difficult tours with very low scoring matches. Those types of conditions aren't so common these days. But there is no doubt that Tendulkar didn't do better than his peers even in 1990s.

SRT started doing well against them only in 2000s, probably in easier conditions.

For ex - since his SA series in 2001, he played 43 matches scored 1669 runs at average of 43 and 4 centuries.

image.png

Since then overall scoring improved, Donald, bowling attacks weren't same and teams were no longer getting bowled out below 100-170s which means pitches were better.

These are our team scores during from 1990 to 2000.

image.png

Overall we crossed 250 only thrice. It's not that only our batting sucked, we didn't concede much either

image.png

indicating that most of the time conditions weren't easy to bat.

2. Kohli 0 match winning innings against SA, Aus, Eng and NZ. He has no fifty against those countries in matches we won. While winning is a team effort, you expect a player to at least fluke 1 inning. I don't believe in comparing overall numbers in matches won as it is not individual effort, but having 0 inning doesn't reflect well.

image.png

In 35 matches, he has played most of the matches while batting 2nd. Being the greatest chaser in history of the game, having no half match winning century is quite odd.

image.png

Averaging 22 in our won matches. Somehow his poor performance coincides with better results for us, while all batsmen tend to have have better numbers in won matches and worse than overall numbers in lost matches.

image.png

On the other hand SRT did play an important role in many won matches

image.png

during both his lean 1990s period and in both innings.

49 ball 82 while chasing in NZ

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/16354/scorecard/64463/New-Zealand-vs-India-2nd-ODI-india-in-new-zealand-odi-series/

Or 81 ball 94 while chasing 317 against England in 2007

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/14366/scorecard/258476/England-vs-India-6th-ODI-natwest-series-[india-in-england]/

3. Kohli is yet to score any 50 in final matches in his career, whether it's home, away, neutral venue.

SRT probably played of the best knocks by an Indian in final.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8531/scorecard/291371/Australia-vs-India-1st-Final-commonwealth-bank-series/

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8531/scorecard/291372/Australia-vs-India-2nd-Final-commonwealth-bank-series/

117 and 91 against Australia.

No doubt, Kohli has did well overall and Tendulkar sucked badly in 90s, but on the other hand Kohli being best chaser and great match winner has never played a match winning knock for us except in WI, something where SRT did way better?

Adding to what's already been said, most one-day sides in 1998 were an extension of the test side if not identical, in terms of both personnel and aura. What he did in Sharjah against the Aussies has to be lauded with this in mind  - he destroyed arguably the best cricket side the world had ever seen. Does any side really have an aura today? I think not apart from perhaps India playing in India.

Taking nothing away from Sachin, but Aussie side wasn't even the best odi then let alone the best cricket side world class even seen.

They didn't even have McGrath in that tournament iirc.

Back then South Africa were the best odi side .Aussies only had the best test team.

In was only in 99-2000 the Aussies starts to pull away from the rest . Particularly after Hayden Gilchrist and Lee came into their odi team.Lee and Gilchrist around 99 and Hayden in 2000.Moreso after Symonds replaced Waugh in middle order.

Calling that Aussie side that had Damien Fleming and Kasprovic as the greatest ever odi side is beyond laughable.