Star bags IPL media rights for INR 16, 347 crores

14 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

Is that the going value for Indian cricket ? I believe it sold out many years back. Specifically that time when Dhoni opted out of SL tour because of fatigue after IPL. I knew that cricket had been sold then. 

Sorry for the rant. 

Buddy this is called evolution. Not sold.

Hope the $$$$ trickles down to those who need it the most. But having 6 months IPL as some are suggesting is insanity !!! Hope BCCI isn't listening to such people, even Gemini circus doesn't stay more than that in one place.

Edited by Gollum
Just now, Gollum said:

Hope the $$$$ trickles down to those who need it the most. But having 6 months IPL as some are suggesting is insanity !!! 

6 months is too much.  About 3.5 months is reasonable.  With more gaps between games.  

15 years from now, I want the IPL to have at least 12 India based franchises, and one in Sri Lanka and the Middle-east.  Expansion of the calendar to 3+ months and the geographic base, both local and international, is easy to achieve, and a massive revenue generator.  Anything less will be a failure.  

Just now, Gollum said:

Hope the $$$$ trickles down to those who need it the most. But having 6 months IPL as some are suggesting is insanity !!! 

3-4+- month will be ideal. That gives ICC about 2-3 quarters to plan various tournaments or accoomodate various other series.

Since India is a big country, A relaxed itenary and schedule for players will actually improve overall IPL viewership. It can be argued otherwise to but I will prefer a much relaaxed schedule

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Hope the $$$$ trickles down to those who need it the most. But having 6 months IPL as some are suggesting is insanity !!! Hope BCCI isn't listening to such people, even Gemini circus doesn't stay more than that in one place.

Kirkit is not circus. It is a competition and a demanding sport.

25 minutes ago, sourab10forever said:

If there was no winning in individual category then what was the point of having separate categories? Just label it as media rights. No other company except star and sony had any chance if only the overall bid is considered.

How other companies didn't have a chance? If star had bid 3% lower than their global bid, there would have been individual winners. Seems like good way to maximise profits. Only star went for global bid.

36 minutes ago, Imtiaz said:

Hahah Sach mn Mera to ab khara ho jata hy india walon ki hum sy obsession/hate dekh ky.

I mean Seriously Ipl is way ahead of PSL in terms of everything and thats not rocket science to understand. Why you have to bring it in Ipl conversation is beyond me considering its no match or threat at this Stage infact You are giving useful milege to psl

This thread is discussing the business of T20 leagues.  And as such, all leagues CPL, BBL, PSL fall under that subject.  And not just the PSL, I want the BCCI to finalize a "IPL Cricket Carnival" at the same time when ECB launches their own version.   

There were timesin the past when in spite of political turbulence, BCCI and PCB used to work together for mutual benefit.   Given that the PCB has decided to change tack and work with the likes of Giles Clarke, there is no reason why BCCI shouldn't take appropriate measures to cut off rival leagues at the knees.   If you want to be hostile to India, then be prepared for hostility back.  Simple as that.  

Banjo, you keep sending terrorists and murderers to our country, and hide behind nukes and China, and you want Indian board to give you a home tour and the $100 million Khairaat  that comes with that.   Fact off.  Take that bhikmangi elsewhere.  Maybe Giles Clarke will throw a few more "World XI" games your way if Najam Sethi swallows instead of spitting.  

Edited by sandeep
On Monday, September 04, 2017 at 10:45 PM, diga said:

roughly 500m$  + production expenses per year for IPL alone... would be interesting to see how Star earns it back

that's for global rights and star will sell the rights in different countries to the highest bidder. These people know very well to extract money out of our pockets. So, I wouldn't be worried about their breaking even when they are about to swim in moolahs because of most watched league in the world.