Why has Team India failed to find a permanent #4 for so long?

SecondSlip

24 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Lol why would I leave I enjoy seeing you make a clown of yourself.

I don't know maybe you are loosing interest. There are people who agree with me. There are people who disagree with me. I am here to shed some light. You think my posts are vitrol? Go report them and let the other mods take care of it. Let's see what they say.

7 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

I don't know maybe you are loosing interest. There are people who agree with me. There are people who disagree with me. I am here to shed some light. You think my posts are vitrol? Go report them and let the other mods take care of it. Let's see what they say.

No your posts leak of the irrational hate that you have makes for a sorry read though. Low iq diatribe on a sporting legend in the said sports fan forum. Low iq waste of space defines it well. Less dwelt the better.

7 minutes ago, Vilander said:

No your posts leak of the irrational hate that you have makes for a sorry read though. Low iq diatribe on a sporting legend in the said sports fan forum. Low iq waste of space defines it well. Less dwelt the better.

Hate? Since when are facts hate? Am I wrong dhoni comes to the crease and sucks the momemtum out of the game? Am I wrong that when dhoni is at the crease, the batsman has a lot more pressure to score runs? Am I wrong that Dhoni rarely scores boundaries in the middle overs these days? Against the windies, it took him 104 balls for a boundary. THe first game against Aus, it took him 66. Am I wrong in saying that Dhoni is only a good keeper against the spinners but not against pacers?

You obviously have something against me. When was the last time you actually made a cricketing post? Maybe instead of me, you should talk about something else. 

10 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

Hate? Since when are facts hate? Am I wrong dhoni comes to the crease and sucks the momemtum out of the game? Am I wrong that when dhoni is at the crease, the batsman has a lot more pressure to score runs? Am I wrong that Dhoni rarely scores boundaries in the middle overs these days? Against the windies, it took him 104 balls for a boundary. THe first game against Aus, it took him 66. Am I wrong in saying that Dhoni is only a good keeper against the spinners but not against pacers?

You obviously have something against me. When was the last time you actually made a cricketing post? Maybe instead of me, you should talk about something else. 

Avg 90 strike rate of 90 with a cal year aggregate of almost 700 runs is suckling momentum ?. Ignorant simple minded retoric breeds hatred. You don't have to jump like a kangaroo once you have a modicum of control  in a website, substantiate your claims. A bit of critical examination utterly defeats your rationale I don't know what else to call it, there is no sugar coat. It's pathetic.

4 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Avg 90 strike rate of 90 with a cal year aggregate of almost 700 runs is suckling momentum ?. Ignorant simple minded retoric breeds hatred. You don't have to jump like a kangaroo once you have a modicum of control  in a website, substantiate your claims. A bit of critical examination utterly defeats your rationale I don't know what else to call it, there is no sugar coat. It's pathetic.

I dont post this way because I am a mod. I would post the same regardless. Maybe you would be different. What's there to substantiate? You go and watch the game when Dhoni comes to the crease and see how things are. See how other batsman starts taking unnecessary risks. Maybe these should do same as dhoni. Shut up shop like Dhoni does at the crease, wait for lesser bowlers after the 48th over, and hit a few boundaries and you make up your strike rate. 

So why dont you do critical examination of his 54(116) knock against the windies? 

Edited by Laaloo
6 hours ago, Laaloo said:

He did great in the IPL and I just dont use IPL as a measuring ability apart from fielding. Are his numbers good in the domestics?

He has been injury plagued and doesn't have much of an FC record.  The IPL is his claim to fame.  And the A tour to SA.  Where he got injured. Again.  

25 minutes ago, sandeep said:

He has been injury plagued and doesn't have much of an FC record.  The IPL is his claim to fame.  And the A tour to SA.  Where he got injured. Again.  

Yeah he got injured for this tour as well. I read somewhere Jadeja was selected instead because of Pandya was injured. :facepalm:

Problem is we never tried the correct options at no 4 as other have mentioned.The likes of Rahane after flickering has completely gone of the boil as far as ODIs are concerned.Yuvi is way past it and Karthick was never a solution long term.

Another interesting tidbit is it's not a current one off issue either.I don't really remember a quality no.4 in the past untill Yuvi emerged in late 2000s.Remember us trying Kambli,D Mongia ,Kaif all turning mediocre at best.

The solution it seems for now seems giving Manish Pandey a long run to see whether he can be long term successor .

Another solution I can see is dropping Rohit back to no.4 and trying an aggressive opener alongside Dhawan (Maybe Rahul?) .That could solve both our issues though Rohit's past record in middle order is a concern.

6 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

Problem is we never tried the correct options at no 4 as other have mentioned.The likes of Rahane after flickering has completely gone of the boil as far as ODIs are concerned.Yuvi is way past it and Karthick was never a solution long term.

Another interesting tidbit is it's not a current one off issue either.I don't really remember a quality no.4 in the past untill Yuvi emerged in late 2000s.Remember us trying Kambli,D Mongia ,Kaif all turning mediocre at best.

The solution it seems for now seems giving Manish Pandey a long run to see whether he can be long term successor .

Another solution I can see is dropping Rohit back to no.4 and trying an aggressive opener alongside Dhawan (Maybe Rahul?) .That could solve both our issues though Rohit's past record in middle order is a concern.

i like this 

Our top 3 have been relatively good performers for past few years. Dhawan, Rohit and Kohli have dominated the run scoring in many series. Number 4 is a key position and we have tried to persist with Rayudu or Yuvraj or Raina in some cases. 

At present I feel we need to pick our choices between Dhoni, Rahul and Pandey. Dhoni is kind of a plan B in times of collapses. Pandey has a lot of List A, A tour kind of experience where he has really excelled. He needs to be given a long run in side like Rohit (he is similar type of player who will be inconsistent but has ability). Rahul has very less experience in LOI and needs to be given chances. 

3 hours ago, BeautifulGame said:

Rohit was a failure in middle order and he still wud be

1. he likes ball coming on to that bat at start

2. he isnt like kohli who ll keep his scorecard ticking with singles n doubles here n there

3. he doesnt like the situation to dictate his game, which will happen in middle.At open he can plan out his game the way he wants . 

Rohit at 4 wud be the same result again

As of now the best answer is among rahul vs pandey 

3 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Rohit was a failure in middle order and he still wud be

1. he likes ball coming on to that bat at start

2. he isnt like kohli who ll keep his scorecard ticking with singles n doubles here n there

3. he doesnt like the situation to dictate his game, which will happen in middle.At open he can plan out his game the way he wants . 

Rohit at 4 wud be the same result again

As of now the best answer is among rahul vs pandey 

Rohit is best at one in ODI I do not think Dhawan has good future in any format but yes he is ready for Srilanka,Ireland and Afghanistan his Debut 187 was a history now as much as Nairs 300

Edited by Wapas
1 minute ago, Wapas said:

Rohit is best at one in ODI I do not think Dhawan has good future in any format but yes he is ready for Srilanka,Ireland and Afghanistan his Debut 187 was a history now as much as Nairs 300

Kya?????

N rohit is not the best in odi's its kohli 

Dhawan has been terrific in Odi and more importantly he raises his game in big tournaments 

On 9/19/2017 at 8:21 AM, Pollack said:

If I am not wrong Kohli has brilliant numbers at no 4. For everyone else the position is jinxed.

So why not try kohli at 4. Pandey/Rahul at no 3. Preferably Rahul because he also has decent technique.

Dhoni has even better numbers at 3/4 than vk I think.