Sachin Tendulkar v Virat Kohli - who is better ODI batsman?

Who is better ODI batsman?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better ODI batsman?

3 hours ago, Pollack said:

We were winning if not for Kohli getting out. It was easy peasy for him.

No, we were winning only in figment of imagination. We were chasing 360 plus on 5th day and even reaching close to that would have been phenomenal on that pitch against Lyon. We did not even reach close and lost by 48 runs. We needed 360 in 90 overs at the start and we were 300/6 with only tail left and Kohli needing to score 60 in 54 balls. Was an improbable task even in a t20 or an ODI with our tail let alone in a test on a weary pitch.

Edited by rkt.india
21 minutes ago, mani sha said:

He didn’t choke in those games - games were almost lost but he fought and fought 

its because of Kohli we won in Australia as he has brought this never say die attitude . Tendulkar used to be out when u needed him to make a 100 - like a 4 th innings chase . 

Tendulkar was was also lucky to have dravid lax man ganguly and sehwag gambhir combo towards the latter half of his career - Kohli doesn’t have any of those in tests . Pujara is decent but not as close to dravid . And our no 6 is Bihari! 

Kohli have best bowling attack &btw Pujara & bumrah won for India in Australia 

Edited by kohli
3 minutes ago, sergio04 said:

You can say kohli is lucky to have such a fantastic fast bowling line up in our history

that if our Batsman perform they will lead India to victory.

So there are more chance that runs made by kohli will end up in winning cause due to our best bowling line up in history.

If we had this kind of bowling line up in 2000, we would have won many overseas test series in 2000.

We had a good bowling attack  - srinath zaheer kumble Bhajji nehra etc . Yes india benifits but surely the sight of laxman and Dravid after a sehwag century and u coming to bat is not the same as you coming to bat after 10/2 and vihari to follow - kohli surely doesn’t play thinking bumrah gonna win the match ! 

A baristow helps a Roy Bat batter . It’s all About partnerships . Kohli the test batsman is perhaps second only to grant flower in terms of overcoming their limitations and playing with almost no other batter on other end 

1 minute ago, mani sha said:

We had a good bowling attack  - srinath zaheer kumble Bhajji nehra etc . Yes india benifits but surely the sight of laxman and Dravid after a sehwag century and u coming to bat is not the same as you coming to bat after 10/2 and vihari to follow - kohli surely doesn’t play thinking bumrah gonna win the match ! 

A baristow helps a Roy Bat batter . It’s all About partnerships . Kohli the test batsman is perhaps second only to grant flower in terms of overcoming their limitations and playing with almost no other batter on other end 

Yet these mediocre Batsman contribute more than kohli in our test wins in SEA.

2 minutes ago, sergio04 said:

Bhaai there is not a single major contribution from kohli in our test's win in SENA.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportskeeda.com/amp/cricket/sachin-tendulkar-vs-virat-kohli-a-statistical-analysis

bro - saw him bat in England in most bowling friendly conditions - saw Sachin bat in similar conditions in South Africa ( india were our for 45 I think I remember ) 

kohli in tests is way way ahead when the going gets very tough - he matured a bit late but played exceedingly well in England and Australia - think he didn’t play as well in south afric

2 minutes ago, mani sha said:

Watch the matches bro - wait for kohli career to be over - will have fewer test hundreds than Sachin but most will be meaningful 

I watched all matches bro.

Kindly refer to stats in these matches where he fights and fights chasing 200

And India lost by 40-70 runs margin , kohli got out in single digit score most times.

And

Pujara has already more meaningful runs than kohli will score all throughout his career.

38 minutes ago, mani sha said:

except that it was in the test we lost. so it was hardly a crucial one. chepu and pant outscored kohli comfortably on pitches where we won or drew.

8 minutes ago, Vijy said:

except that it was in the test we lost. so it was hardly a crucial one. chepu and pant outscored kohli comfortably on pitches where we won or drew.

Its test - 3, 34

We won.

2nd test- 123, 17 

We lost

3rd test- 82, 0 

We won

4th test- 23

Rain stopped us winning by an inning.

5 minutes ago, sergio04 said:

Its test - 3, 34

We won.

2nd test- 123, 17 

We lost

3rd test- 82, 0 

We won

4th test- 23

Rain stopped us winning by an inning.

that's what I meant when I wrote the 123 was quite useless unlike what the poster claimed. that 82 in the 3rd test was a solid knock, but it was only one among many. I rate mayank's knock in the same test much more highly.

29 minutes ago, mani sha said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportskeeda.com/amp/cricket/sachin-tendulkar-vs-virat-kohli-a-statistical-analysis

bro - saw him bat in England in most bowling friendly conditions - saw Sachin bat in similar conditions in South Africa ( india were our for 45 I think I remember ) 

kohli in tests is way way ahead when the going gets very tough - he matured a bit late but played exceedingly well in England and Australia - think he didn’t play as well in south afric

kohli did quite ordinarily on the 2011 and 2018 tours of Oz. he only scored in dead rubbers or matches that we lost comfortably. the only good tour of Oz he had in 2014 was on pitches that were much flatter than even those SRT encountered in 2003.

the only place where kohli probably shades SRT is that last eng tour. but, to compensate for this, he played atrociously on the previous eng tour in 2014.

moreover, Kohli has a measly avg of 36 in WI against a poor team and on fairly SC-type pitches. whereas SRT has an avg of 47 and played against likes of Walsh, Bishop and Ambrose in 1997.

Last, but by no means the least, there is the issue of spin. the "best" spinners that kohli has faced are people like lyon and moeen ali whereas SRT batted against warne and murali; heck, even mcgill and saqlain were much more dangerous bowlers than most of the so-called spinners that kohli has faced. In home series where there was genuine turn, Kohli was a big failure: Oz and SA. SRT scored valuable runs on pitches with big turn. For instance, there was that raging turner where michael clarke took 6-9, where SRT made a 50. on that pitch, Kohli would have been dismissed in single figures.

Kohli is like Ponting. he can do well on certain pitches while in the middle of a purple patch. once it ends, his records will slide inevitably. besides, I have yet to see test matches in SENA that were won/drawn primarily due to VK's contributions. In the last Oz tour, he scored in perth which we lost comfortably. Kohli scores often in dead rubbers or matches that we are destined to lose. in this respect, he is not as different from SRT as you claim.

anyway, you are entitled to your opinion. this is mine.

8 hours ago, Vijy said:

kohli did quite ordinarily on the 2011 and 2018 tours of Oz. he only scored in dead rubbers or matches that we lost comfortably. the only good tour of Oz he had in 2014 was on pitches that were much flatter than even those SRT encountered in 2003.

the only place where kohli probably shades SRT is that last eng tour. but, to compensate for this, he played atrociously on the previous eng tour in 2014.

moreover, Kohli has a measly avg of 36 in WI against a poor team and on fairly SC-type pitches. whereas SRT has an avg of 47 and played against likes of Walsh, Bishop and Ambrose in 1997.

Last, but by no means the least, there is the issue of spin. the "best" spinners that kohli has faced are people like lyon and moeen ali whereas SRT batted against warne and murali; heck, even mcgill and saqlain were much more dangerous bowlers than most of the so-called spinners that kohli has faced. In home series where there was genuine turn, Kohli was a big failure: Oz and SA. SRT scored valuable runs on pitches with big turn. For instance, there was that raging turner where michael clarke took 6-9, where SRT made a 50. on that pitch, Kohli would have been dismissed in single figures.

Kohli is like Ponting. he can do well on certain pitches while in the middle of a purple patch. once it ends, his records will slide inevitably. besides, I have yet to see test matches in SENA that were won/drawn primarily due to VK's contributions. In the last Oz tour, he scored in perth which we lost comfortably. Kohli scores often in dead rubbers or matches that we are destined to lose. in this respect, he is not as different from SRT as you claim.

anyway, you are entitled to your opinion. this is mine.

Sachin is better test batsman. I agree. But I don't agree with the way you berating Kohli. Kohli was our best batsman in 2011 tour of Australia. The only batsman to score a hundred for us in that test series. In 2014 test series against Aussies, he single handedly helped to draw 2 tests out of 4, otherwise result would have been 4-0. If pitches were so flat, why other could n't replicate what Kohli did in that series. Kohli saved us from embarrassment in that series. In 2018 of Australia, he was India's 2nd best batsman. The knock he played in Perth test is definitely amongst the top 10 knocks by an Indian in this decade. Pure master-class on seaming, swinging bouncing surface/conditions. Almost equivalent to sachin's 169 in Capetown. And his 80+ runs in mcg and his partner ship with pujara was the reason why we won that series.

Edited by Insidious
2 minutes ago, rageaddict said:

I bet Virat will take the lead again with a Hat Trick of tons against the West Indies Team. It's just a matter of time. 

Form is temporary, Class is permanent. 

Just wait and watch. 

ohh... that would be  big deal.... a  'class' who can't even score  2 runs   chasing a moderate 239 in the most important match  for the entire fans  now would soon be seen chasing 300s for fun... Only dumb asses  of the highest  order can vote for Kohli based on further bilateral performances.

Kohli should let go of politics in team, captaincy and focus on his batting. He is on a cross road now where his legacy is going to be decided in the next few years. He has shown his dedication towards being physically fit but can he show his mental strength and focus now? Whatever sachin was he had one single minded focus on doing well in batting. Kohli is letting other things distract him currently, if his mind us cluttered with politics, he cannot have the same focus with which he used to play before 

For both kohli and India's sake, it would be better to have a different captain in all format