Vijay Shankar (Batting Pacer Allrounder) - Performance Watch thread

11 minutes ago, jf1gp_1 said:

So what will be your playing xi ?

From the current squad: Dhawan, Rohit, Rahul, Raina, Shankar, Pant (wk), Hooda, Sundar, Axar/Chahal, Unadcutter, Siraj

Team bats till 9 (Axar) and has 7 bowling options (Raina, Shankar, Hooda, Sundar, Axar/Chahal, Cutter, Siraj).

Siraj had 2 bad games, but I feel it was more due to nervousness than lack of talent. DK has not done anything wrong but we need to look beyond him for future players (who'll be around for a long time span). Although Pant has looked unconvincing he needs a longer rope IMO.

Edited by Vijy
3 hours ago, fineleg said:

VS bowling is so pedestrian. Move on, at least from his bowling.

Batting, we shall see.

He never had any bowling potential like Pandya to begin with. Only far optimistic people would say there is any potential. However he is class batsman and should have already got chance by now. He certainly can shape out to be a fantastic batsman in future even if he fails initially.

12 hours ago, rkt.india said:

he is a batsman and a part-time seam bowler.

for me Hardik is way better than BINNY and Vijay Shankar as a Medium Pace Bowler.

binny and shankar are Slow trundlers.

i know Shankar Bats well as I saw him bat in one of the matches telecast on TV. But definitely as an allrounder Hardik is international all rounder..binny and shankar are no way close to him.

17 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

He is a slightly faster dibbly dobbly bowler with a bit of swing. Probably 5 clicks faster than Stuart Binny. I think that is as far as he can go. Not a natural fast bowler.  So his skill level has to be very high to be successful.  He could be like Anderson for NZ. But Anderson is a beast with bat. For Vijay just to be in the side as this kind of option has to be a very good stroke player and a solid fieldsman. Nothing less. Because bowlers like him can be targeted. 

Binny was better than Shankar as a Pacer..shankar seems rubbish as a pacer.

you have sugar coated your comments, i am straight.

40 minutes ago, Vijy said:

doubtful I think.

rishi and binny both are better pacers than shankar...lets see him tommorow but yesterday he was aiming to bowl wide outside and save runs, never tried to take wickets or bowl as a genuine bowler , instead was trying to bowl way outside , even bowled wides at 128k and was making the batsman feel that he is just going for saving runs and not taking wickets.

5 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

rishi and binny both are better pacers than shankar...lets see him tommorow but yesterday he was aiming to bowl wide outside and save runs, never tried to take wickets or bowl as a genuine bowler , instead was trying to bowl way outside , even bowled wides at 128k and was making the batsman feel that he is just going for saving runs and not taking wickets.

I think binny was better at bowling than shankar. Yes, he was very ordinary (esp in Tests) but he is not the worst "allrounder" Ind have played in ODIs. As for Shankar, he should be seen as a Ganguly-type "bowler", i.e. a part-timer and not a genuine batting allrounder. Batting ARs in Tests and FCs typically have about 1.5 wkts per match and also avg in the low to mid 30s.

4 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I think binny was better at bowling than shankar. Yes, he was very ordinary (esp in Tests) but he is not the worst "allrounder" Ind have played in ODIs. As for Shankar, he should be seen as a Ganguly-type "bowler", i.e. a part-timer and not a genuine batting allrounder. Batting ARs in Tests and FCs typically have about 1.5 wkts per match and also avg in the low to mid 30s.

then vijay shankar should not be considered as some one as a replacement to Hardik...i mean he is no competition as a bowler to hardik at least. he is more of a Kedar type of bowler ..just medium pace, may be I a jumping the gun and speaking too early but lets find it out in coming matches. he can be played as a 6th bowler and not as a 5th bowler.

6 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

then vijay shankar should not be considered as some one as a replacement to Hardik...i mean he is no competition as a bowler to hardik at least. he is more of a Kedar type of bowler ..just medium pace, may be I a jumping the gun and speaking too early but lets find it out in coming matches. he can be played as a 6th bowler and not as a 5th bowler.

sample size is too low, but my feeling is also that he's not a like-for-like replacement for hardik. shankar is a batsman who bowls a bit. As you noted, I'd see him more as a 6th bowler.

23 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

If he is not even good than Rishi Dhawan then that is really a big disappointment. 

but he is a proper batsman, with the ball he is as good as Rishi Dhawan and Binny.

Edited by rkt.india